For obvious reasons
A jackovitch
The wizard
S Charles
Swartz
R Jackson
Oliver bang bang bang
Tracc o wow

Nathan Carroll. A true footy character, not one cliche about him. Chopper mo and blonde mullet in the red jumper with the blue M was peak dees for me.

Clint Bizzell. Loved him as a competitor, often undersized. Lots of 1%ers, 2nd and 3rd efforts etc.

DemonLord

Senior List
Mar 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Guy Rigoni - Always thought he gave 110%. Then he had his injury issues (back from memory), seemed to be gone then came back to make the 100 games barrier.

Ox - For the player he could have been and for pushing over Sam Newman on the Footy show.

Watts - For being a top bloke who got lumbered with Neeld as a coach.

Tappscott - just looked like he could have been a Dusty Martin type with his build.

Dunny - for the mo and the torps.

Ray Biffen - Sold my dad a car.

Brad Miller - never knew which Brad would turn up, and he got Pia into the MFC Wag club.

Jack Trengove - for the same reason as Wattsy.

Stinger - Just because. Stupid glass door.

Trapper John - for making the game look easy when he could be bothered.

Colin Sylvia - As above and for destrying Richmond single handedly on numerous occassions.

Liam Jurrah - again for what he could have been if he had npot found the machette drawer.

And a real left field one to finish - CLint Bartram - One of the best tacklers I have seen sadly again struck down by injury.

DL.

eskimo

All Australian
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wattsy for me too, just a genuinely likable guy. Had the pleasure of meeting a few times at my local and was always nice to everyone around him.
Colin Sylvia because who doesn't love someone who eeks out a 10 year career averaging probably 400k a year on cruise control.
Clint Bartram for exactly the opposite reasons to Colin. Lack of skills, but damn he tried hard always.
Paul Johnson for knocking out one of trainers during a pre-game boxing warmup.
Filthy Phil Read for just always wanting to fight someone.
Matty Whelan for being tough as nails.
Was a big fan of Petterd too, thought he could have been a real good player.
Aussie Wonaemirri coz he was staying with a family i kind of knew and he was just a real nice kid and seemed to get excited when i wanted to talk about footy with. And he was just always so excited on the field too.
Luke Tapscott - my young nephew at the time loved him, and we saw him out and about day and my nephew wanted a photo with him. Seemed genuinely surprised someone wanted a picture with him, happily obliged and was super nice to my nephew.

Gawd I am showing my age here:
Diamond Jim Tilbrook
Big Carl - Big Shadow
Greg Wells - a champion
Gary Hardeman - never played a final yet still a champion
Stan Alves - so gutted when he left.
Crackers Keenan - the unc!
Rod Owen - mojo
Peter Tossol -for the name alone
Kelly O'Donnell - for the one bag of goals that he kicked
Graham Gaunt - a Rock
Tony Sullivan - sweated out every game
Gerard Healy - wish he had played inthe 85 GF
Paul Callery - small but mighty
Phil Carmen - WITF was he doing at Melbourne?
David Cordner - the great blonde hope
Adrian Battison - with a Morrish Medal
Rhino Richards - classy footballer
Peter Moore - Brownlow 2
Kelvin Templeton - shadow of his former self but still kicked 8 at the Handbagger
Sean Charles - Carlton 1994
Michael Reynolds - a Messiah or so it seemed for a few weeks
Peter Giles - a workhorse
The Fidge Brothers - mojo
Jacko _ loved him - I used to follow him from one end to another
Robbie Flower -champ
Brian Wilson - loved the attitude - and his 82 Brownlow was the first thing to come our way in a long time
Steven Stretch - those endless runs down the MCC wing
The Ox - He made me proud - he made me cry
Earl Spalding - "spread out"
Warren Dean - what a player we lost when his knee collapsed
Jako - still the most talented player I have ever seen in the Red and Blue

Last edited:

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Guy Rigoni - Always thought he gave 110%. Then he had his injury issues (back from memory), seemed to be gone then came back to make the 100 games barrier.

Ox - For the player he could have been and for pushing over Sam Newman on the Footy show.

Watts - For being a top bloke who got lumbered with Neeld as a coach.

Tappscott - just looked like he could have been a Dusty Martin type with his build.

Dunny - for the mo and the torps.

Ray Biffen - Sold my dad a car.

Brad Miller - never knew which Brad would turn up, and he got Pia into the MFC Wag club.

Jack Trengove - for the same reason as Wattsy.

Stinger - Just because. Stupid glass door.

Trapper John - for making the game look easy when he could be bothered.

Colin Sylvia - As above and for destrying Richmond single handedly on numerous occassions.

Liam Jurrah - again for what he could have been if he had npot found the machette drawer.

And a real left field one to finish - CLint Bartram - One of the best tacklers I have seen sadly again struck down by injury.

DL.

Liam Jurrah - again for what he could have been if he had not found the machete drawer.

How can you make a statement on something that didn't occur?

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Born 87. First favourite player was Steve O'Dwyer, second was Allan Jackovich. Remember crying when he was suspended for swearing. Loved Yze and Woey. Clint Bartram a fave, Wona as well. Love Pig Hibberd. Wish the Cockatoo-Collins twins had done more. Big Neville Jetta man for a long, long time. Nathan Jones a beauty. Harmesy strikes a chord. Relatively fond of Petracca. Call Fritsch the Lego Man and Spargo Mighty Mouse. Kozzy.. wow.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Dan Nicholson definitely holds a very special place in my heart.

I was in a Supercoach grand final and he was the best I could afford to cover an injury. Won a couple of a grand and he was a big part of it. If I saw him out and about I'd be tempted to buy him a beer as thanks, that said I have no idea who he is or what he looks like so that's probs not gonna happen.

Still, thanks Dan!

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Always thought Paul Johnson was going to be a gun ruck back in the day
I caught the train home from a Hawthorn match years back and shared a carriage with Paul Johnson who was on Hawthorns list at the time, and for whatever reason was catching the train home (was in suit with hawks tie so not playing), but was having a casual chat for a random hawks supporter about the game and the club, seemed like a genuinely nice bloke.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
1980s - Robbie Flower (The greatest Demon IMO and such a sweet guy too)
1990s - The Ox (Cruelled by injury but still carved out a bloody good career)
2000s - Matty Whelan (Wrecking ball)
2010's - Chunk (Loyalty)
2020's - Trac (On his way to being the best player I've seen in the red and blue)

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bernie Vince for picking on danger field
Watts for being so likeable
Dunn for making me laugh
A Nicholson for never giving up
Rod grinter for sticking up for his mates
Bowey, don't know I just seem barrack for him
Max for spewing on scully and owning Geelong
L Jackson for making all the we want young with p3 look silly
ANB for proving me wrong
Fritta, because opposition supporters seem to hate him
For obvious reasons
A jackovitch
The wizard
S Charles
Swartz
R Jackson
Oliver bang bang bang
Tracc o wow

Remember seeing something on top goal scores for the season. Fritta was obviously up there and someone commented on him as a genuine spud, this was an article on Facebook. Anyway he ended up having a fantastic finals series including 6 on the big day. That troll looks rather silly now.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was more mobile than most big men of the same time, skills were reasonable but for all other reasons was very average at AFL level. It felt like he underachieved a bit.

Was a rubbish mark overhead, a bit soft and never fit enough IMO. I'll go to my grave swearing he had the skillset to be an A grade ruck but for those reasons he didn't make it.

Yeah a lot of those players from the bailey/neeld years simply wrong team wrong time. Matt Jones is another that must be good mates with Gawn. He played in a premiership with south Croydon and apparently Gawn was there to support him.

My family used to run a wedding reception place and they hosted Matt Jones' wedding. Max was apparently in fine form, drinking straight out of bottles of red all night.

Always thought Paul Johnson was going to be a gun ruck back in the day

And also how many people feared Jackson would turn out similar to him?

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Colin Sylvia...

My god man, what you could have been, I remember running into him at a members function and his brother early days having a great chat and he was grinning like the Cheshire cat. Later to find out his bottle of coke had been topped up by bourbon multiple times over. I loved what he could have become, He was the most naturally talented footballer I think we'd ever had. My mates and I used to call the extra curls and tri work at the gym "Col work" because it was useless but gave you big arms. He just didn't care about footy. He never cared. I loved him regardless. He was my #1 Melbourne player. He could have won a Brownlow. It wasn't to be. Instead he spent every weekend out at the clubs. I still didn't care, his talent was that good. I met him a few times since at supporter functions the club had run, he managed to make a career out of wasting his talent then popping up and pumping the s**t out the Tigers, ever increasing my love for the man. I was absolutely shattered when he got traded, but understood he'd run his race at the Dees.

He was obviously already off the rails, but he wasn't one of the lucky ones like Cousins or whoever else the media had painted as lost causes. He dropped out of the system and unfortunately turned himself into a statistic.

During the grand final I had our much glorified 2012 team's signed jersey sitting in front of the TV. Down 19 points with all momentum against us, I once again turned to my favourite son, Colin Sylvia. I found his scribbled signature on the jersey and made a quick sacrifice at his altar. From that moment on I'd either used up every ounce of luck I'd ever command or he was smiling down on us. We kicked 100pts to 7 and absolute trounced the * out of those smug ******* Bulldogs campaigners and had one of the most dominant Grand Final wins I think I've ever seen in my life time.

I'd love to shake his hand and thank him for all he did for this footy club when we were well and truly a rabble, and for departing when it was his time. Unfortunately departing the Earth well before it was his time....

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Colin Sylvia...

My god man, what you could have been, I remember running into him at a members function and his brother early days having a great chat and he was grinning like the Cheshire cat. Later to find out his bottle of coke had been topped up by bourbon multiple times over. I loved what he could have become, He was the most naturally talented footballer I think we'd ever had. My mates and I used to call the extra curls and tri work at the gym "Col work" because it was useless but gave you big arms. He just didn't care about footy. He never cared. I loved him regardless. He was my #1 Melbourne player. He could have won a Brownlow. It wasn't to be. Instead he spent every weekend out at the clubs. I still didn't care, his talent was that good. I met him a few times since at supporter functions the club had run, he managed to make a career out of wasting his talent then popping up and pumping the sh*t out the Tigers, ever increasing my love for the man. I was absolutely shattered when he got traded, but understood he'd run his race at the Dees.

He was obviously already off the rails, but he wasn't one of the lucky ones like Cousins or whoever else the media had painted as lost causes. He dropped out of the system and unfortunately turned himself into a statistic.

During the grand final I had our much glorified 2012 team's signed jersey sitting in front of the TV. Down 19 points with all momentum against us, I once again turned to my favourite son, Colin Sylvia. I found his scribbled signature on the jersey and made a quick sacrifice at his altar. From that moment on I'd either used up every ounce of luck I'd ever command or he was smiling down on us. We kicked 100pts to 7 and absolute trounced the fu** out of those smug ******* Bulldogs campaigners and had one of the most dominant Grand Final wins I think I've ever seen in my life time.

I'd love to shake his hand and thank him for all he did for this footy club when we were well and truly a rabble, and for departing when it was his time. Unfortunately departing the Earth well before it was his time....

Appreciate a little tongue in cheek, but a cracking tribute to a man gone far too soon. Loved Col.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It’s almost crazy to think how high hopes were for him after two season of 40+ goals and clunking marks. Dominated some good backman, such as Harris Andrews, on a few occasions. Sad the way his career has panned out really.

Back