Favourite Demons for unusual reasons

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s almost crazy to think how high hopes were for him after two season of 40+ goals and clunking marks. Dominated some good backman, such as Harris Andrews, on a few occasions. Sad the way his career has panned out really.
Never played a bad season for the MFC to be fair

Colin Sylvia...

My god man, what you could have been, I remember running into him at a members function and his brother early days having a great chat and he was grinning like the Cheshire cat. Later to find out his bottle of coke had been topped up by bourbon multiple times over. I loved what he could have become, He was the most naturally talented footballer I think we'd ever had. My mates and I used to call the extra curls and tri work at the gym "Col work" because it was useless but gave you big arms. He just didn't care about footy. He never cared. I loved him regardless. He was my #1 Melbourne player. He could have won a Brownlow. It wasn't to be. Instead he spent every weekend out at the clubs. I still didn't care, his talent was that good. I met him a few times since at supporter functions the club had run, he managed to make a career out of wasting his talent then popping up and pumping the sh*t out the Tigers, ever increasing my love for the man. I was absolutely shattered when he got traded, but understood he'd run his race at the Dees.

He was obviously already off the rails, but he wasn't one of the lucky ones like Cousins or whoever else the media had painted as lost causes. He dropped out of the system and unfortunately turned himself into a statistic.

During the grand final I had our much glorified 2012 team's signed jersey sitting in front of the TV. Down 19 points with all momentum against us, I once again turned to my favourite son, Colin Sylvia. I found his scribbled signature on the jersey and made a quick sacrifice at his altar. From that moment on I'd either used up every ounce of luck I'd ever command or he was smiling down on us. We kicked 100pts to 7 and absolute trounced the fu** out of those smug ******* Bulldogs campaigners and had one of the most dominant Grand Final wins I think I've ever seen in my life time.

I'd love to shake his hand and thank him for all he did for this footy club when we were well and truly a rabble, and for departing when it was his time. Unfortunately departing the Earth well before it was his time....

Fantastic post - always loved Col.

Nothing better than those goals from 60 at the MCG that cleared the fence (and about 80% of them where against Richmond)

He was obviously already off the rails, but he wasn't one of the lucky ones like Cousins or whoever else the media had painted as lost causes. He dropped out of the system and unfortunately turned himself into a statistic.
Mate…he was a step father to a young lad when he died and the accident wasn’t at all his fault. Taken off his bike by a truck in the country.

Sylvia also physically assaulted his teenage girlfriend when he was 20yo, I always think it’s funny how easily things like that get forgotten
Also got charged with stalking an ex after he climbed onto her balcony and filmed her sleeping.
While on bail for stealing a credit card... money well spent at the Daily Planet.

I don't remember him as a footballer, was a little before my time really.

Also got charged with stalking an ex after he climbed onto her balcony and filmed her sleeping.
While on bail for stealing a credit card... money well spent at the Daily Planet.

I don't remember him as a footballer, was a little before my time really.
Why bring this information up?

Why bring this information up?
It's called world-building. It adds a little spice to the mythology of Sylvia, fills in the details, makes the character just a little bit more "three-dimensional", if you know what I'm saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I chose Melbourne because of the local club where I was living at the time - Boolarra Demons.
Been a Max fan even before he was drafted, mainly because of his height (saw an article about him with Sandringham U18s and was hoping we'd draft him).
Went through a brief Cockatoo-Collins fanboy phase in the late 90s and tried to get a fan club going.
Darren Cuthbertson, I thought he was the next big thing. Recently asked the Freo AFLW player Janelle Cuthbertson on Twitter if she was any relation, and she said not to her knowledge.
Andre Gianfagna - I have no idea why.
For some reason I recall playing as Hayden Lamaro in backyard footy.

In 2004, I was the home viewer for Anthony McDonald and Mrs. Anthony McDonald on some bullshit Fox Footy game show. They won, I got a $1000 Harvey Norman gift voucher. Top bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back