Movie Favourite films of 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

As others have said it's been a crappy year for movies. I've mainly been catching up on movies from other years.

All I can recommend from 2018 is

Upgrade
A Star is Born
Bohemian Rhapsody
A Quiet Place
You Were Never Really Here

Whereas my 2017 list was much longer

Wind River
Three Billboards
Blade Runner 2049
Split
The Shape of Water
Mother
Órbita 9
Logan
Baby Driver
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
T2 Trainspotting
Brad's Status
The Florida Project
A Ghost Story

There was a lot of good stuff out there this year, you just had to go find it.

Only considering films that came out for a general States release in 2018, so Phantom Thread and others aren't included (though PT would be #1 if it were).

In order:

Minding the Gap
Widows
Roma
BlackKklansman
Thoroughbreds
The Favourite
First Reformed
Annihilation
Black Panther
The Rider
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Support the Girls
First Man
Leave No Trace
Gemini

HM: A Star is Born, Eighth Grade, Game Night, Lean on Pete, Shoplifters, Sorry to Bother You, Thunder Road.

Still to watch: Burning, Let the Sunshine In, Cold War

For me, the first 1 hour and a half of Hereditary. (The last 15 mins can gagfd) and Bohemian (BH).

Ones I am dying to see but for some reason or another missed; Widows, Bad Times at El Royale with cheese, Star is Born (hoping to see it Monday night).

And as we look towards this year.. bring on IT. Cannot ******* wait.

Shocked that no one has mentioned Don't Worry He Won't Get Far On Foot. Am I the only person who's seen it? I saw a heap of movies from 2018, mostly crap, but this one is definitely right up the top.

Some really good movie length docos:
Strokes Of Genius, Fed vs Rafa Wimbledon 2018.
Come Inside My Mind, Robin Williams
Three Identical Strangers

Shocked that no one has mentioned Don't Worry He Won't Get Far On Foot. Am I the only person who's seen it? I saw a heap of movies from 2018, mostly crap, but this one is definitely right up the top.
I didn't mind it, but didn't love it.

Jonah Hill was pretty decent in it.

Finally feel like I've seen enough I can write a list for this.

1. Roma
2. Shoplifters
3. Cold War
4. The Favourite
5. Black Panther
6. Leave No Trace
7. A Star Is Born
8. Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
9. Hereditary
10. Mission Impossible Fallout

Quite a few movies I could give honourable mentions to also. Think it was a pretty solid year in all, although people seem to be knocking it (although I suspect they say the same thing every year).

Bad Times at the El Royale

Watched this the other day and loved it. I found the plot unpredictable and fascinating, with the non-linear structure adding to the interest. The characters all have a story to be told. Best to watch it without knowing too much about it. You might like it if you like Tarantino movies.

Happy to add this one to my favourites of 2018.

My favourite movies I've seen in 2018

The Incredibles 2 - Pixar did it. A sequel that's great like Toy Story 2 and not crap like Cars 2 or Monsters University. 9/10
First Man - You already know what's going to happen but there's so much tension when Neil's in danger. 9/10
Bohemian Rhapsody - Absolutely worth it just for the music. The Live Aid concert ending is awesome. 8.5/10
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse - I love all the characters and the unique comic book animation style. I'd take a spinoff movie centered on any of the other Spider-Men. 8.5/10
A Quiet Place - Great execution, great tension, great characters, and a fantastic ending. I'm hyped for the sequel. 8/10, but would be 9/10 because it's still full of plotholes.
Hereditary - It's so gory and messed up, and Toni Collette acts the hell out of her scenes. 8/10
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - This movie is criminally underseen. After this and Baby Driver, I'm down for any movie as long as Lily James is in it. 8/10

As suggested by offtherails9 here, I've gone back to the "top films of the year" threads from the past 5 years, and will bump them one at a time.

It'd be interesting to see how people's lists look now, whether it be through seeing additional films released that year, or a re-assessment of films over time.

I've found my original post:
I still have a lot of 2018 releases that I want to see, but so far my favourites have been:

A Quiet Place
Isle of Dogs
Leave No Trace
Love, Simon
As I mentioned at the time I hadn't seen too many releases, so my list looks significantly different now:

1Shoplifters (Manbiki Kazoku)
2A Quiet Place
3Mid90s
4Blindspotting
5Transit
6Green Book
7Isle of Dogs
8The Old Man & The Gun
9Cold War (Zimna wojna)
10Widows

Last edited:
Finally content with it:

1. Isle of Dogs
2. The Favourite
3. At Eternity's Gate
4. Widows
5. Leave No Trace
6. Wildlife
7. Breath
8. Upgrade
9. If Beale Street Could Talk
10. Solo: A Star Wars Story
1. Isle of Dogs
2. The Favourite
3. At Eternity's Gate
4. Peterloo
5. The House That Jack Built
6. Lean on Pete
7. Widows
8. Leave No Trace
9. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
10. Wildlife

11. Thunder Road
12. The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling
13. Breath
14. Song Lang
15. Swinging Safari
16. Wreck-It Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet
17. Upgrade
18. If Beale Street Could Talk
19. Solo: A Star Wars Story
20. Monrovia, Indiana

21. Strange Colours
22. Hereditary
23. Shoplifters
24. Roma
25. Burning
26. Eighth Grade
27. Love Simon
28. Crazy Rich Asians
29. Disobedience
30. Green Book

31. Woman at War
32. Mary Queen of Scots
33. First Man
34. mid90s
35. Riot
36. Ladies in Black
37. Suspiria
38. Whitney
39. How to Talk to Girls at Parties
40. Unsane

41. First Reformed
42. The Rider
43. Incredibles 2
44. Alpha
45. The Merger
46. Who We Are Now
47. Never Look Away
48. Ant-Man and the Wasp
49. Wayne
50. The Mule
(still some 3.5/5 beyond that)

Some good miniseries: The Haunting of Hill House, A Very English Scandal, Sharp Objects, Patrick Melrose, The Cry

I typically go by release year in the country of origin

1. Infinity War - The ROTK award for long term excellence. Both the culmination and the finest work of a 26 film, decade long arc. After this they lost the magic.
2. Mission Impossible -Fallout
3. A Quiet Place
4. Mandy
5. A Prayer Before Dawn
6. Death of Stalin
7. Into the Spiderverse
8. Dragged Across Concrete
9. Burning
10. Apostle

Was a strange year for me: was looking forward to a fair few films that didn't quite do it for me. Some notable ones: Hold The Dark, The Nightingale, Bad Times at the El Royale, Annihilation, High Life, Widows, The Favorite.

I try not to watch trailers or listen to reviews too much these days as the films that let catch me off guard without expectations seem to be the ones I enjoy the most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back