Golf Favourite Golf Course's

Remove this Banner Ad

I love playing new courses so im always trying out new ones as often as possible. From the ones i've played a couple of my favourites would have to be Flinders and Rosebud Park. My old man has recently played Cape Schanck and loved it. I also recently played Croydon and thought it was in great condition and a good testing course (pity it will soon be full of houses..) and is far from a dull course.

Some courses i want to play in the near future would have to be; The Dunes, Cape Schanck, Moonah Links, Royal Melbourne, Huntingdale and Yarra Yarra - Ofcourse not all of those are public, so i could be waiting a while.

From the courses i've played Flinders has to be my favourite. The stunning views, mix of holes and the fact its always in top condition just makes it the perfect golf course for me. The 4th and 5th along the cliff top are great on a nice day where you can see surfers paddling out. I just love it.

I've got the golf course guide and looking to play a new golf course each week/fortnight so it'd be great to hear other's favourites so i can give them a go.

Sandhurst once its complete >>>>> All

;)

Sandhurst once its complete >>>>> All

;)

Looks nice.

SH_Golf.jpg

sandhurst is quite boring in my opinion.
dunno what the new course is gonna be like, but the original, imo, is another thompson stuff up. couple of good holes, but in general, boring, and not that tough.

my favorite golf course, that i have played are, in no order:

the dunes
kingston heath
metropolitan
the glades
hope island
lakelands
cranbourne (very underated)
flinders (as above)
the national (moonah)
the national (old)
barwon heads
rich river east
rosebud country club (both courses are great)

and just to add to this list, a few of the courses that i wouldnt waste my time on:

eagle ridge (augusta like clubhouse, freeway like golf course)
national (ocean....another thompson stuff up!!!)
heritage (very american)
safety beach (or as i call it, duck sh1t flats!!)
rosebud public
croydon (thank God it will be gone soon)
chirnside country club

HOPE THAT HELPS!!!

dunno what the new course is gonna be like, but the original, imo, is another thompson stuff up. couple of good holes, but in general, boring, and not that tough.

agreed

Thompson is a shocking designer, lots of elevated hard greens in a windy location = not much fun, coupled with fairways wide enough for a jumbo to land across.

I'm probably a tad biased as last time I played there there was a 100 mile an hour easterly (ie not the prevailing wind, usually north or south) but it just wasn't fun.

and the wall hole and double green just reek as gimmicky and out of place.

Interestingly I drove past there the other day and course 2 doesn't look too far away, please tell me it's not a Thompson course.

Favourite is definately Kooyonga. It by far ****s on any other SA course. It in all essence is perfect, prefect greens, fairways, landscaping, difficulty. Just perfect, 15th hole being my favourite, just magnificent.

Royal Adelaide (after paying almost $300 to play after the Australian Open when I was about 13) was pretty good. I do hear however that out of competition it isn't the best course, and in no means a **** course, but Kooyonga is by far superior.

Grange and Glenelg are overated. Great facilities, course isn't comparable though.

Best views? Victor Harbor G.C, the first hole is simply breathtaking.

In order of courses played (that I can remember)

Kooyonga
Royal Adelaide
Murray Downs
The Vines (Member's bias)
Blackwood
Glenelg
Victor Harbor
Grange
Mt Osmond
Riverside

Favourite is definately Kooyonga. It by far ****s on any other SA course. It in all essence is perfect, prefect greens, fairways, landscaping, difficulty. Just perfect, 15th hole being my favourite, just magnificent.

Royal Adelaide (after paying almost $300 to play after the Australian Open when I was about 13) was pretty good. I do hear however that out of competition it isn't the best course, and in no means a **** course, but Kooyonga is by far superior.

Grange and Glenelg are overated. Great facilities, course isn't comparable though.

Kooyonga
Royal Adelaide
Murray Downs
Blackwood
Glenelg
Victor Harbor
Grange
Mt Osmond
Riverside

Disagree - IMO Royal Adelaide is a better course than Kooyonga. Maybe because it is more open and therefore a bit easier to play, but their are some signature holes on that course that make it an absolute classic. That is why it is rated 3rd or 4th best course in Australia and is in the top 100 worldwide.

Have not played the Vines or Murray Downs but agree pretty much with your list although I probably would put Grange West above Glenelg.

The first course is very easy but have you seen the 2nd course? Now thats friggin hard.

You gotta give the golf course time to develop. Wait 5-10 years and then make a judgement.

the dunes

Thats the next course on my list to play, the pictures of it look awesome.

cranbourne (very underated)

Amstel?

croydon (thank God it will be gone soon)

Really? I loved it, one of my favourites.

chirnside country club

Played there a few weeks ago, it was in pretty crappy condition.. so yeah i wasn't too big a fan of it either. Also it seems pretty crammed in between the houses and everything.Probably wouldn't play there again.

HOPE THAT HELPS!!!

A few you mentioned i haven't yet played at so its good to hear some feedback :thumbsu:

Thats the next course on my list to play, the pictures of it look awesome.

Amstel?

Really? I loved it, one of my favourites.

Played there a few weeks ago, it was in pretty crappy condition.. so yeah i wasn't too big a fan of it either. Also it seems pretty crammed in between the houses and everything.Probably wouldn't play there again.

A few you mentioned i haven't yet played at so its good to hear some feedback :thumbsu:

cranbourne, as in cranbourne golf club.
has hosted plenty of high profile events.
amstel has 2 courses, amstel and ranfurlie.
played ranfurlie, and is not bad, but go to cranbourne.
not expensive to play, and is generally always in good nick.

regarding croydon, each to their own i guess, but once you have played some of these better golf courses, i am sure you will see what i mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok will have to give Cranbourne a go.

On Croydon... you sure we're talking about the right golf course, not Dorset or something? Just, i've played a fair few courses in my time and to put Croydon as one of the worst seems baffling.

But yes.. each to their own.

the glades
hope island
lakelands

My local club has organised a trip to Surfers in October, and we will be playing these three plus Robina Woods and another which i can't remember (South....?). Can't wait to get up there and play these courses. Am playing a corporate golf day at Tasmania tomorrow, should be a good day...

The National (Old). Playing the Ocean course on Monday. However, the old course is challenging for a hack like me. Also a par 3 hitting over a gorge with the sea in the background. on a misty/rainy day its eerily beautiful!

http://www.nationalgolf.com.au/inde...ion=showhole&course=The National&holeNumber=7

golfhp2.jpg

The Golden Gulf in Guangzhou, China is also a fave. played there a few times. Designed by Colin Montgomery. Cart, caddy (young girls) all provided. Manicured fairways/greens.

Kooyonga
Royal Adelaide
Murray Downs
Blackwood
Glenelg
Victor Harbor
Grange
Mt Osmond
Riverside
The west course at Grange has been totally redeveloped and only opened last week. Looks fantastic, still a bit of work to do obviously but it should look great after another growing season.

They have done this in preperation for the Eisenhower trophy which is a massive amatuer event which will be held at grange and Royal Adelaide I think in 2008.

East course is pretty average but expect things to change with the new superintendant.

I love playing new courses so im always trying out new ones as often as possible. From the ones i've played a couple of my favourites would have to be Flinders and Rosebud Park. My old man has recently played Cape Schanck and loved it. I also recently played Croydon and thought it was in great condition and a good testing course (pity it will soon be full of houses..) and is far from a dull course.

Some courses i want to play in the near future would have to be; The Dunes, Cape Schanck, Moonah Links, Royal Melbourne, Huntingdale and Yarra Yarra - Ofcourse not all of those are public, so i could be waiting a while.

From the courses i've played Flinders has to be my favourite. The stunning views, mix of holes and the fact its always in top condition just makes it the perfect golf course for me. The 4th and 5th along the cliff top are great on a nice day where you can see surfers paddling out. I just love it.

I've got the golf course guide and looking to play a new golf course each week/fortnight so it'd be great to hear other's favourites so i can give them a go.

I have played at Cape Schank and found the greens huge.......too bloody huge. Almost as big as my block where the house stands. Makes putting another game, doesn't it?
I have also played at Warragul, in West Gippsland, and that is a nice course. Front 9 very hilly and the back 9, not as hilly. Would love to be able to go back and play another round there.
Centennary Park in Frankston isn't a bad public course either.

Crikey Cam...in order & reasons. You're not asking for much!;)

Let me try:

1. The Cut (south of Perth) - son of a bitch of a course. Great test of your game and your mental state. Watch out for the Sou-wester! Take LOTS of balls. $80 for 18 (or thereabouts)
  2. Moonah Links - Beautiful shape about the course. Long and challenging (esp from the blues), lovely greens. Play early, or take you chances with the wind. $80 (?).
  3. The Vines - Big long fairways, plenty of room, but don't hit it into the bush unless you're a student of Steve Irwin. Huge greens. Three (is it now 4) nines, and they're all very different in design. Great clubhouse facilities as well. Don't go in the middle of summer - the Swan Valley can be a stinker! $100-ish.
  4. The National - As another poster stated, some very picturesque holes. A real challenge for high markers - take a few balls. Greens were fantastic from memory. No idea what it cost, but not cheap.
  5. Lake Karrinyup (WA) - Sadly they don't have enough land to lengthen the layout to really test the pros these days, but a fabulous course. The course uses the natural contours, with lots of blind drives and approaches requiring accuracy off the tee and a helping of local knowledge. Member's guest only - can't recall how much.
  6. The Dunes - Again at the mercy of the elements, so early is better unless you like three and four club adjustments. The Par 3 at the high-point of the course is a striking hole. $80?
  7. Hartfield (WA) - Long and narrow. Produces a lot of very good golfers. Not as highly regarded as it should be.
  8. Keysborough - Suffering less than most of the sandbelt. $50 as member's guest IIRC
  9. Joondalup (WA) - Beautiful, but a bit too resort-ish if you know what I mean. Some great holes, nevertheless, and if you have to play from the quarry and actually make it out you'll remember it for a long time.
  10. Cottesloe (WA) - Tight layout which challenges accuracy more than length. Lovely greens.
Other courses I rate, but haven't played lately or enough times to give you more than sketchy details:
  1. Commonwealth
  2. Royal Fremantle
  3. North Lakes (QLD)
  4. Meadow Springs (WA)
  5. Yanchep (WA)
  6. Southern
  7. Secret Harbour (WA)
  8. Seaview (WA)
  9. Mt Lawley (WA)

Sun City North of Perth is a great course. Longest course in WA.
Golf Club Kennedy Bay is a lot of fun, especially in an easterly wind.
My Personal favourite in WA is Albany Golf Club. Can be a stinker in the winter though - Southerly winds blow in over Mts Adelaide and Clarence and it is really cold.

Top 10 courses I have played on (no particular order):

Royal Melbourne
Victoria
Metropolitan
Robina Woods
Brookwater
Hope Island
13th Beach (Beach)
Barwon Heads
Kingston Heath
Huntingdale

Honourable mentions:

Peninsula
Moonah Links
The Dunes
National (Ocean)
St.Andrews Beach
Capricorn (New)

Been lucky to play on many of the sandbelt courses in Victoria, visually are the best courses to look at due to the awesome bunkering. The greens at Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath are the best I have putted on.

1. The Cut (south of Perth) - son of a bitch of a course. Great test of your game and your mental state. Watch out for the Sou-wester! Take LOTS of balls. $80 for 18 (or thereabouts)

1. The Cut was where I finally came to the realisation that I just don't have the temprament for golf. Absolute mother****er of a course to play on a windy day.

Lake Karrinyup is the best in Perth IMO. Great days excersise if you're walking it.

1. National Moonah (Vic)
Daylight
2. The Cut at Port Bouvard (WA)
3. Barnbougle Dunes (Tas)
4. Royal Melbourne West (Vic)
5. Metropolitan (Vic)
6. Royal Adelaide (SA)
7. New South Wales (NSW)
8. National Old Course (Vic)
9. Kennedy Bay (WA)
10. Kingston Heath (Vic)

Remove this Banner Ad