Favourite/Greatest acting performances

Remove this Banner Ad

I love movies for many reasons, but the ones that usually stick with me are the ones where you have a memorable character driven by a great acting performance. Sometimes its just a scene that makes the whole thing too.

Anyway I thought this might be a good idea for the thread. What are your favourite or in your opinion the greatest performances?

I have many, so will be clogging the thread to start with, but here we go.

F Murray Abraham in Amadeus. A left field one to start with. I haven't seen the movie for a long time but this one stays in my mind for some reason, in particular the scene below. On its own it does not look so great but he was brilliant throughout the whole movie and this was sort of the boiling point so speak.

Last edited:

Sean Penn has been great in so many roles like Mystic River, Dead Man Walking etc. But I thought he was really great in The Assassination of Richard Nixon, but there was also cameo by Michael Wincott where he almost steals the show

Last edited:
His best performance imo came before that in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape. Incredible.
Ahh I haven't seen it but thanks for reminding me of Johnny Depp.

His portrayals of the Mad Hatter and Willy Wonka were fantastic. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sean Penn has been great in so many roles like Mystic River, Dead Man Walking etc. But I thought he was really great in The Assasaination of Richard Nixon, but there was also cameo really by Michael Wincott where he almost steals the show

Sean Penn is one of my faves.

The Thin Red Line
The Falcon & the Snowman
Carlito's Way

all being particularly special performances by him for mine.

For me I'd say Billy Connolly in Her Majesty Mrs Brown.

I really love Brendon Gleeson in In Bruges & Calvary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back