Favourite/least favourite players to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to add; any player the commentators decide they need to pump up, particularly if they only know one fact about them (i.e. their age). Also players the commentators have personal ties too which makes them not assess their performance objectively.

It's nothing to do with the player themselves so it's a bit unfair, but it is what it is.

Bizarre call on Faf? Not the most talented bloke and has technical flaws that prevent him from being a truly great player, but wouldn't say that he can't be arsed. Just look at his test debut against Aus. One of the most mentally tough and resolute innings I've ever seen. Unless you're referring to him being self righteous, which I can't comment on as I don't know the bloke personally and haven't seen a heap of his media interviews.

Wholeheartedly agree on Samuels.
Definitely was referring to Faf as self righteous, based on media interviews.

Most: aus - ponting, hayden, gillespie, martyn, warne
world - pietersen, sehwag, laxman, sangakkara

Least: aus - katich, clarke, clark
world - chanderpul, dravid, bell

Sure someone else would’ve said this but for least any spinner who consistently bowls over 100 km/hr and barely, if at all have any tricks whatsoever. You see a lot of these guys in T20 cricket and it’s frustrating as they’re successful enough whilst showing almost zero cricketing talent other than accuracy. Good luck ever being successful in any other format.

On the side of bowling, I love watching good leg spinners and good left arm quicks.

Faves- I.Chappell. M.Waugh. V. Richards.
Not So's- G. Boycott. A. Knott. Bob Willis [rip] All great cricketers just had punchable heads.

Nathan Lyon had the exact same record for years, and played under a better captain for spin bowlers in Michael Clarke. Hauritz was dropped for no reason, and for Xav Doherty at that. He was treated terribly, and if he'd had as long as Lyon, he'd have ended up doing approximately as well, though I would say Lyon is better now - thanks to nearly a decade of Test cricket behind him.

Yep, Clarke was a great captain for spinners. Knew exactly when to bowl them and how to set fields to them. Glad to see someone else noticed this.

Jimmy Anderson is two sides of a coin. I love watching him bowl in home conditions. His swing bowling is majestic when he's on it but when the conditions aren't quite suited for him he can resemble a trundler. Tremendous stamina to bowl long spells but not got the pace to break through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First kohli is an amazing player to watch in one dayers. Just on a different level. It's amazing how India can produce great players these days despite being the most corrupt place on earth

Joe Root: ********
Jon Bairstow: a-hole
Harbhajan Singh: prick
Dan Vettori: smug. Good bowler but.
Travis Head: he gets me on the edge of my seat, and keeps me there nervous for him. I never know whether he's going to go out flashing or he's going to restrain himself. He's an exercise in leashed fury with every shot he plays in red ball cricket, and I'm never confident he's not going to give it all away next ball. His batting gives me heart palpitations.

Used to hate watching Haddin keep; sure he could take some screamers, but gee he could move slowly sometimes. I despise watching Warner's celebrations; it doesn't help that he seems to get kissed by the cricket gods with the bowlers and their bloody front feet on the way to 100 too.

I don't really like any of the Saffers, either, with the exception of Amla and Smith. Every series with them seems to be a flashpoint, and brings the worst out of both sides.

The first series I ever watched was the 68/69 West Indies tour of Australia.
I instantly became obsessed with Gary Sobers. I loved watching him bat,bowl
(spin and pace) and field. I supported the West Indies then as a youngster.

Since then my favourites to watch are:

Batsmen: Brian Lara/Greg Chappell/A.B.De Villiers/Chris Gayle/Majid Khan/ViratKohli
Bowlers: Dennis Lillee/Shane Warne/Andy Roberts/Wasim Akram/Jeff Thomson/Abdul Qadir

Gary Sobers is the greatest of them all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back