Favourite Lions v Cats game

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So most people will say the miracle on grass or round 22 last year which I loved but I'll give an honourable mention to another.

Round 15 2000 at the cattery. We came of a heartbreaking loss a week before and went down there and flogged them by about 10 goals. It was one of only 2 Lions v Cats games I've been to and a very enjoyable train ride home.

Round 22 last year for me. I was devastated to miss the Miracle On Grass. I had my membership for the first time and had the time off work (Hospitality). Days before my mates ex walked out on him and decided to take the day off to console him as he was very bad mentally. They made me work the Saturday because of it. Mind you it was pretty thrilling watching with customers at work, but it was not the same.

I was at Round 22 and the moment Linc takes that mark was the loudest I've ever heard a crowd and I've been to the 2011 prelim between the Pies and Hawks and the 2013 Grand Final. It was absolute bedlam, distorted eardrums loud. Incredible.

Oh, Miracle on Grass was an amazing game for the effort the players put in for the 52 point turnaround - I firmly think that was belief among the player group more than anything because Voss looked like a stunned mullet up in the box after the final siren. I remember losing my voice the following day too.

But my most recent favourite has to be round 22 of 2019. A season which we were completely written off from, and there we were, 1st vs 2nd, playing for top spot on the ladder. And we frigging did it. I had absolutely no words for Linc's big ride either - I was completely speechless in the stands, looking an awful lot like Mitch.

I watched that game again over the weekend actually, and interesting to note, we got shafted by the umps a fair bit in that game, even despite being at home and with a strong crowd backing us, and we just took it in our stride and got on with it. At least two clear as day 50m penalties weren't given, and there were a good number of tackles that weren't rewarded either, as well as throws.

I was fortunate enough to be at both of those games. Simply incredible, and both team defining in their own way.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Oh, Miracle on Grass was an amazing game for the effort the players put in for the 52 point turnaround - I firmly think that was belief among the player group more than anything because Voss looked like a stunned mullet up in the box after the final siren. I remember losing my voice the following day too.

But my most recent favourite has to be round 22 of 2019. A season which we were completely written off from, and there we were, 1st vs 2nd, playing for top spot on the ladder.

I don't think anyone could go past either of these games, however, I have a lot of fond memories of the Lions teams from 97 - 05 having lost maybe one game to them throughout that era. More so, I remember our Lions teams just beating up on the Cats (those same Cats teams with many players that would go on to become dominant players throughout their own successful era), particularly at Kardinia Park with the likes of Voss, Scott twins just hurting their players with bone crunching tackles.

Sadly for us, we have't beaten Geelong in Victoria since 2005, although another fond memory was of a loss which we should've won in 2013 at Kardinia Park when that gutless bald-headed umpire didn't award a free for Chapman just jumping on the ball and not getting it out. A win (at the time) would've seen us scrape into eighth spot and make the finals, however, IIRC, Port won the following day and it made no difference anyways. I was at the ground and let me just say, I lost my s**t. Lester still could and should have won the game moments later though. This game was obviously unforgettable for the wrong reasons.

I wasn't at this game, but watching on TV, just marvelled at Aka giving an absolute masterclass at the Gabba in 2005 IIRC when he kicked 5 and these two GOTY beauties:

This was also another sweet win in the 2004 Preliminary Final when the AFL screwed us and made us 'host' Geelong in Melbourne on the Saturday night (and not day as we requested so we could get back to Brisbane on the Saturday night) despite us qualiying for a home final. It was a tough gutsy game which really impacted us seven days later given Port were gifted a Friday night game in Adelaide and sat back and watched us and Geelong beat up on one another:

Last edited:
I wasn't at this game, but watching on TV, just marvelled at Aka giving an absolute masterclass at the Gabba in 2005 IIRC when he kicked 5 and these two GOTY beauties:

LOL, I was actually there for that too - far out, I remember it now but totally forgot at the same time of writing my earlier post.

We've had some incredible games against Geelong over the years!

Back