Favourite Lions v Crows game

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So this week we would have been playing the Crows. What's your favourite Lions v Crows game.

I'm going to do something very rate and nominate a game we lost. Round 9 2001. I travelled to the Gabba for this one having been flogged by Carlton the week before. It was possibly the best game I've ever seen. Both teams played really well. Marcus Pickens had a kick from about 60 out to win it but didn't make the distance.

I knew that if we bought that same level we would beat the Bombers the following week which we did and the rest is history.

There have been a few memorable games against the Crows that spring to mind including 2019's one point win and our thumping and biggest ever win as the Lions in 2004 when we pumped them by 141 points at the Gabba (IIRC it was Rischitelli's first game too). I think it was also the club's biggest score too.

but my favourite win was probably our 40 point win at Football Park in 2011 when we won only 4 games for the year and Ash McGrath kicked four. I have said it a lot over the years, but season 2011 was probably my favourite and most proud seasons throughout that period between 2010-2018. Whilst we had a lot of lean years throughout that period, we showed so much grit and determination for a young side losing something like 7-8 games by less than 20 points.

Anyway, as for that game against the Crows in 2011, it was our only away win for the season and at Football Park and featured quite a few players we'd probably consider as "misfits" including the likes of Sheldon, Collier, Retzlaff and O'Brien:

Final at the Gabba in 2003. Voss was on a bike for the entire first quarter. We flogged them. My first, and until last year only, final at the Gabba.

This is the game on Kayo/FoxFooty AFLRewind at 3.30 pm (BNE time) on Saturday.

Wrong thread for it but whenever I think of playing the crows I remember the cheated game in 1991 I think. Think its the one game that everyone agrees was fixed
Never the wrong thread to bring up the worse sequence of umpiring ever captured on video...

Wrong thread for it but whenever I think of playing the crows I remember the cheated game in 1991 I think. Think its the one game that everyone agrees was fixed
Without a shadow of a doubt.

There have probably been others, but there are two games that immediately spring to mind when I think of being completely stitched up and robbed by out and out cheating umpires. There are really is no other ways to describe such cheating given the blatant one sidedness by the umpires to one club over the other. The Fitzroy game against the Crows in 91 as you pointed out and the second being our first ever game against Gold Coast at the Gabba in 2011

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bushy Copeland’s tackle :eek:

Mal Michael’s spoiling OMG. He was still robbed of an AA IMO, just the best full back by a mile for a good 4 year period and nothing.:rolleyes:

That actor from Con Air is playing for the Crows.:D

Must admit, the Crows have a pretty decent team out the park in this game with a lot of guys at their peak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back