Favourite Lions v Dogs game

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll kick it off this week.

2012 at Docklands in the Fitzroy jumper when late in the game the Fitzroy chant went up.

Not necessarily my favourite game, but my favourite moment is when Lynch did the choking motion to taunt the Bullies in 1999.

2b63ff60cdc543bf6bc1d6b981779030

That other grubby little bastard libbba...the mess he made of Fly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can also remember a game in the late 90's after which there were graphic photos in the paper the next morning of Lions player Steve Lawrence having scratch and bite marks to his face and body after a Bulldogs game the previous evening

Lawrence was a tough little bugger and wasn't squealing about it though. I liked him, despite him defecting to the Saints a year or two later.

The old "yeah, nah......what happens on the field stays on the field" was his only comment at the time.

But everyone knew what had happened.

I can also remember a game in the late 90's after which there were graphic photos in the paper the next morning of Lions player Steve Lawrence having scratch and bite marks to his face and body after a Bulldogs game the previous evening

Lawrence was a tough little bugger and wasn't squealing about it though. I liked him, despite him defecting to the Saints a year or two later.

The old "yeah, nah......what happens on the field stays on the field" was his only comment at the time.

But everyone knew what had happened.
Now that you say it, I remember that. There wasn’t a huge amount going on upstairs with Stevie Lawrence but he was as tough as nails as you could get and never shirked a contest and as you said didn’t give the Dogs player away.

Now that you say it, I remember that. There wasn’t a huge amount going on upstairs with Stevie Lawrence but he was as tough as nails as you could get and never shirked a contest and as you said didn’t give the Dogs player away.

I ran into him once at the old Social Club.....the one that used to be situated where the Gabba Greyhounds rooms once were.

He was the son of St Kilda legend Barry Lawrence but didn't put on any airs or graces. He was up for a chat and seemed like a decent young bloke to me.

He was tough but fair on the playing field. I was sorry when he left us for the Saints. His career was plagued by knee injuries before during and after his time with the Lions

I ran into him once at the old Social Club.....the one that used to be situated where the Gabba Greyhounds rooms once were.

He was the son of St Kilda legend Barry Lawrence but didn't put on any airs or graces. He was up for a chat and seemed like a decent young bloke to me.

He was tough but fair on the playing field. I was sorry when he left us for the Saints. His career was plagued by knee injuries before during and after his time with the Lions

Don’t get me wrong, I liked Lawrence a lot and he was a seriously prominent player under Leigh Matthews in the 99-00 seasons and but for his departure, there is no reason why he wouldn't have played in any one of those premiership winning teams.

Unfortunately for Steve, life at the Saints was detrimental as he got caught up with the social scene in a pretty big way culminating in him almost killing himself in a nasty car accident near Southland when he was heavily intoxicated.

Similar to a comment I made earlier today about Mitch Clark, a few guys careers really went off the rails when they left the Lions at their prime, only for their careers to dive pretty significantly thereafter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t get me wrong, I liked Lawrence a lot and he was a seriously prominent player under Leigh Matthews in the 99-00 seasons and but for his departure, there is no reason why he wouldn't have played in any one of those premiership winning teams.

Unfortunately for Steve, life at the Saints was detrimental as he got caught up with the social scene in a pretty big way culminating in him almost killing himself in a nasty car accident near Southland when he was heavily intoxicated.

Similar to a comment I made earlier today about Mitch Clark, a few guys careers really went off the rails when they left the Lions at their prime, only for their careers to dive pretty significantly thereafter.

Yeah, I remember that drunk driving incident, Very sad.

And yes, despite our poor on field record as a Club since the glory years, players who have left us over the years for greener pastures have seldom performed at a higher level than when they played for us.

Clark, Molloy, Sherman, Cupido, Karnezis, Longer and even Aker ended up finding that the grass wasn't greener on the other side of the fence. The Prince of Aish is another runaway who has really done it tough.

I would have to acknowledge however that Yeo and Docherty would be more than handy players if they had stayed with us.

Pretty sure Stevie was a bit of a rogue well before St Kilda got their hands on him.

Pretty sure Stevie was a bit of a rogue well before St Kilda got their hands on him.
IIRC, wasn’t he thick as thieves with another of our prominent players and a big part of the reason the club was happy to trade him was to break the two up? I dare say a like Hueskes the reason they were moved on despite being solid players was their influence over impressionable young players.

Perhaps moving on such types also established our highly professional culture in 01-03 after getting close in 99-00.

IIRC, wasn’t he thick as thieves with another of our prominent players and a big part of the reason the club was happy to trade him was to break the two up? I dare say a like Hueskes the reason they were moved on despite being solid players was their influence over impressionable young players.

Perhaps moving on such types also established our highly professional culture in 01-03 after getting close in 99-00.

Heuskes and Lawrence were both "lads" alright.

I wasn't aware they "operating" together though.

Having said that, they both left at the end of the 2000 season so there is probably something in that.

Heuskes and Lawrence were both "lads" alright.

I wasn't aware they "operating" together though.

Having said that, they both left at the end of the 2000 season so there is probably something in that.
Sorry, I wasn't implying that both Lawrence and Hueskes were operating together, in fact, I'd have no idea if they were. Memory is very sketchy here, but I thought Leppa was the one Lawrence was pretty tight with back then. I could be way off there, but I was just highlighting that we had a few guys in that 99 and 2000 season's that may not have been as professional as the Fab 4 and many others which may have contributed to the likes of Lawrence and Hueskes being moved on right before our glory years.

FWIW though, Hueskes was one of our most consistent players back in 99 when we made the Preliminary Final, losing out to the eventual premier, North Melbourne (discussed a couple of weeks back that Mick Martyn committed one of the dirtiest acts on a footy field by eye gouging a young Simon Black early in the game who didn't take any further part, yet was let off by the tribunal).

In his auto-biography, Lethal talks about it being a mistake bringing Stefan Carey to the club in 2000 as he became a partner in crime for Heuskes which was perhaps a factor in his behaviour getting worse off-field in 2000.

Mick Martyn committed one of the dirtiest acts on a footy field by eye gouging a young Simon Black early in the game who didn't take any further part, yet was let off by the tribunal).

It was actually a forearm jolt to the face while Martyn had Black pinned to the ground.

It broke Black's eye socket.

Yes ,and it was an out and out act of thuggery and yes, the b**stard got off. The tribunal issued a statement about the footage being too "grainy" and the evidence being "inconclusive".:rolleyes:

After all these years, I'm still mad as hell about that incident:mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back