Favourite Lions v Power game

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So this week we would have been playing Port. What's your favourite Lions v Power game?

I really enjoyed both last year but the one in 2008 when we came from a long way down to win. It was my Wife and my engagement party. My mum doesn't have foxtel so a few boys turned the radio on and were updating me. Then I excused myself from others guests and went to listen to the last 5 or 10 mins.

Last years rd 3 .
The fact that we were 3 wins for the start of the season was just totally unexpected.
I remember realistically hoping for 2 wins .
The celebration after the game was monumental and the sour puss Port supporter whining about the umps calls was what the f..k are you on about.
It was worth a few more craft beers at the pub .
That's the first things that come to mind , then I just watched the highlights, literally just now .
I hadn't forgotten the moments just forgot they where all in this game.
Hippy's bump on his opponent , to get the position and mark and goal, Big O's big moments and McCarthy's climb to the heavens mark to send robbo holding his hands to his face in shear amazement. And Charlie.

Why didn't I keep these games recorded, would love to watch them again.
One of the best experiences at the Gabba for all the above reasons.
The West Coast game was not a one off, we were there.
Ah.
Let's not talk about the following game though.

There are many memorable moments from our encounters with Port.

Undoubtedly, my favourite was our 2008 win over them at Footy Park when we were 8 goals down late in the third quarter and surged past them remembering that Port made the GF previous year:

I still recall our first few meetings with them when we lost by a couple of points in our first encounter followed by back-to-back draws with them at the Gabba in our and Port's first year(s) in 97 and 98 and the close losses we had with them throughout 01 - 05 where we lost something like 4-5 games by less than a goal. We really did have a pretty epic rivalry with them in both club's first 10 years of existence.

Whilst they did have the last laugh in the 04 GF, the 02 Preliminary Final was memorable because we thrashed them by like 10 goals at a time when IIRC Port finished on top of the ladder 3-4 years straight after the H & A seasons:

One of my other favourite moments was Jared Brennan's headbutt on Josh Carr purely because of my hatred for Carr who was one of the dirtiest campaigners ever to grace a footy field:

As for my favourite win against Port, I'm going to go with my only "live" win against Port when I was living in Brisbane in 09 and late in the year Port came up and banged on something like 10 goals straight and were a good 40 odd points up at quarter time. We were obviously a good team that year and we refused to panic, chipping away at them and hit the lead midway through the final quarter. I remember a lot of people sitting around me were getting pretty vocal that we'd returned to our old ways etc during that first quarter but the likes of Black, Brown and Bradshaw were awesome that night (well worth the watch if you have the time):

All being said, Port are up there with Collingwood in terms of clubs I cant's stand.

Round 7 2015. Firstly because this was the debut of Brion the Lion. Sunday twilight game, great time slot. Lived close to the ground at the time and had a heap of beers in the lead up with a good mate. Small crowd (15k) and Port off to an early lead, here we go we all know how it goes from here, we are last on the ladder having already lost 4 games by > 50 pts come Round 7. Despite all the beltings a small part of you wants to believe that tonight is the tonight we can cause a big upset. Last time we'd played them they won by 110, this could be on the cards again, they are up by a goal and a bit at qtr time. 2nd term and we step up, Rich really steps up, a 6 goal 2nd quarter and we are up at half time, standing ovation, 15K feels like 50K. Second half suddenly we have belief, it turns into a bit of a shootout but they keep missing, even though we end up winning by 37 the team's confidence is so shaken after multiple beltings it feels like 2 goals their way and we may capitulate. Great memories. Full replay of this game is on YouTube.

After this game we go on a 13 game losing streak :grimacing:

Not sure if anyone saw it, but they replayed the first ever game between Port and Brisbane from 1997 when both teams first entered the competition (the first year of the Brisbane Lions) on Fox Footy yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately we lost by 2 points but it was a really good contest.

As I've mentioned before, it has been really enjoyable watching these old games and seeing a lot of our players, particularly some of the more random guys to have played for the Lions. In this game anyway, the likes of Leppitsch, Lappin, Keating, Hart and Ashcroft were very good with the latter not getting the recognition he probably deserves IMO.

Anyway, the guys I did enjoy watching again that had really solid games were Tristan Lynch (no thrills player that was genuinely consistent), Scott McIvor (ex Fitzroy and Bears - a real Rolls Royce and epitome of the old school ruck rover whose injuries curtailed him having a higher standing in the game), Scott Bamford (didn't do much in this game, but always exciting seeing him with the ball), Craig Lambert (just a tough old school player), Danny Dickfos (a real cult hero at the Bears / Lions in 90's and made even more famous by this book), Nathan Chapman (who is pretty much responsible for every single punter to play in the NFL and many other Aussie NFL players through the company he founded in ProKick) and my favourite and old mate, Max Kennedy (the one player I feel really bad that didn't play in a premiership in 2001).

In recent times, probably the game last year when they openly admitted their main strategy was to target Neale, meanwhile we, a young and developing team, kept very cool heads and just thumped them on the score board.

And Hinkley looked so smug as he declared it on the live broadcast before the first bounce. What an utter flog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back