Favourite Recent Season?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Gov

McLovin' it
Jun 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Offseason yeah yeah, like the title says just wanted to discuss people's favourite recent seasons overall. Obviously wanting to avoid ''Season A because my team won the premiership", try and vote for a different one (Sorry Hawks and Cats fans :D)

2017 was a cracker throughout the season, lots of close games, but for me an underwhelming finals series in terms of contests.

I think my favourite was 2010. Curiosity a year the Eagles finished last, but loved the season overall. The bottom 4 had a still-competitive feel to it which showed as Essendon, Richmond and WC would all quickly rise back up in the next yeaes (as would Brisbane temporarily), there was no teams like GC who were overly cause for worry.

Ablett, Swan or Hodge all had deserving Brownlow years but Judd won it in a surprise, some enjoyable drama there.

At the top end Geelong was still very strong, as was St Kilda from the Titanic rivalry the year before. With Collingwood on top these three felt like absolute heavyweights and the finals series stood up, with St Kilda getting revenge on the Cats in a tremendous QF. Was quite young at the time and hated Collingwood (who I quite like now) and they felt like a real villain. Watching St Kilda play their absolute guts out only for the draw, then the repeat that Collingwood was always going to win in a canter, felt like a movie like Rocky, where the underdog loses the match but you feel like with time on they would have done it. Such drama!

What's your favourite recent season overall? Is the season regular or finals more important to you? Any personal stories about a particular season? Keen to discuss

2016 was amazing. The underdog in all four finals getting over the line from the bottom part of the 8. The Richmond 2017 year although special for Richmond people it was a boring year. Sydney 0-6 start with hawks 0-4 and a final series full of poor planning against opposition whinging supporters about home ground advantage and a very bad to watch grand final.

2017 home and away season was brilliant as it was very difficult to determine who would win on any given day, the finals series on the other hand every match bar the Eagles-Port choke off was rather one sided, although Richmond winning obviously trumps that for me.

Aside from that season the 2016 season was intensely competitive and a finals series to match.

I enjoyed the Dogs flag the most, but broadly agree with the OP.

For mine, the best football this generation was played in that 2009-2011 window when all of Geelong, Collingwood and St Kilda were obscenely good, with guest appearances from Hawthorn, and you had a few more clubs who could take it to them by playing suicidal Ratten/Knights football. Not even seasons by any means, but the top-end and finals matches were serious quality.

It's almost a pity players can't back up that sort of intensity any more. Strange one that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last season was probably my favourite in more recent times, but in hindsight, I do have pretty fond memories of 2006 not just because it was the last season we made finals but it was around this time that I developed my love for footy and started to follow it closely.

For mine, the best football this generation was played in that 2009-2011 window when all of Geelong, Collingwood and St Kilda were obscenely good, with guest appearances from Hawthorn, and you had a few more clubs who could take it to them by playing suicidal Ratten/Knights football. Not even seasons by any means, but the top-end and finals matches were serious quality.

It's almost a pity players can't back up that sort of intensity any more. Strange one that.

Yeah some unbelievably good sides, recent top 4s/premiers feel like they get there through system and suffocating pressure but those early 2010s teams just had ridiculous quality of players across the park, made for some absolute shootouts

Agree. In each of 2009-2011 both grand finalists were among the best teams of this era. While Saints never won a premiership, they showed the sort of dominance in 2009 where people wondered if they would lose a game (they didn't lose one until round 20 when they saw a movie instead of training).

Agree. In each of 2009-2011 both grand finalists were among the best teams of this era. While Saints never won a premiership, they showed the sort of dominance in 2009 where people wondered if they would lose a game (they didn't lose one until round 20 when they saw a movie instead of training).

St Kilda really should have gone 22-0 in the home and away season of 2009, they were just that good of a team. If it weren't for Ross Lyon resting half the team in the last month of the season then they would've gone 22-0.

2017. Like the season so much I bought the GF replay on DVD, the finals series on Blu Ray and then the entire 2017 season as a Christmas gift for myself. :p

Got to be 2010 for me. I was overseas when Collingwood won the flag and missed the crap that my Pies supporting golf mate would have gone on with were I here. By the time I returned it was old news and he had little left in the barrel.

2010 for me as well.

In less recent times 95. West coast really were Sheedy's bunnies in those days but my god they got away with some s**t that just shouldn't have happened in a professional competition. Before attending my first AFL grand final in 97 richmond were my second favourite side. Loved Nick Daffy, Richo, Knights, Campbell, Gale, Kellaway and Merenda.

Such a shame with Carlton brown paper bagging the salary cap.

Back