reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
1. Watching the Panthers & Saints game as well as the Seahawks Cowboys game on Christmas Day- I just realized how much I love FOX’s production- HD seems more crystal clear and I’m one of those rare guys who likes Joe Buck! Am I making the HD thing up or is it just better on FOX?

2. Being a Pats man lots of games on CBS- their broadcast is significantly better this year with Romo- Simms was terrible.

3.NBC- obviously the premier broadcaster, enjoy the production values they will do another fantastic SB as much as I love Michaels (Trico is awesome on Thursdays also) I’m
not particularly enamoured with Chris Collingsworth.

4. ESPN- production sucks has a real Saturday afternoon AFL interstate Foxtel game. Gruden was a bit hyper but insightful broadcast misses Trico and will miss Gruden

Apologies if there is already a thread on this

Last edited:
Packers/Cowboys on Xmas day?

ESPN Production values suck, i dont get that one. unless you are talking about the commentary. ESPN started Pylon cam.
Fox has trialed cameras on the hats of Refs in College games, and were the first to use 2 skycams. and used 4K Cameras for skycam the last few years.

All of them are basically the same now, only difference is the commentary and scorebug. and even the scorebug is almost the same on Fox/CBS/NBC with small variations on them all.

no one will miss Gruden on MNF. I just hope they dont break up any of the best CFB teams.

I love Joe Buck too. Don't mind the interaction between Buck and Aikman, tho im not a huge fan of Aikman.

The main "play-by-play" commentator is what I enjoy first-most. If they irritate, then the color commentator can't help much.

NBC is the worst for me. Tricco and Michaels, as the play-by-play commentators, are kind over the hill and unsure of the sport, comes across in their comments and conversations with the "analyst" commentator, Collinsworth, whose style I hate intensely.

CBS has the best crew of analyst/color commentators by far. Gannon, Green, Romo, Beuerlein, Fouts etc. And Jim Nantz is probably my second favorite play-by-play caller behind Buck.

Most of the NFL analysts or callers are average. there are much better ones who do college games for ESPN, CBS or Fox.

Most of the NFL ones are told not to show personalty. or to keep it simple for the fans. its why Fox fired Gus Johnson years ago, before he came back to become the top caller for college football on Fox. Sure he isnt for everyone but he always made it exciting.

I would take Joe Tessatore and Todd Blackledge or Brock Huard over any of the NFL teams. even Gannon and Harlin when they were together.

Packers/Cowboys on Xmas day?

ESPN Production values suck, i dont get that one. unless you are talking about the commentary. ESPN started Pylon cam.
Fox has trialed cameras on the hats of Refs in College games, and were the first to use 2 skycams. and used 4K Cameras for skycam the last few years.

All of them are basically the same now, only difference is the commentary and scorebug. and even the scorebug is almost the same on Fox/CBS/NBC with small variations on them all.

no one will miss Gruden on MNF. I just hope they dont break up any of the best CFB teams.

My bad meant Seahawks Cowboys was getting mixed up with last years divisional round.

In regards to ESPN something is missing there on their broadcasts maybe it’s just the shitty slate of games they get. I enjoy most of their programming (Mike and Mike previously). Although unlike you I do like Gruden I like his enthusiasm gives something to the broadcast. Compare that to Phil Simms he was so bad I found the commentators on Madden on my Xbox to have more personality

Last edited:
I've always thought NBC and ESPN had the best productions. Have never liked the coverage FOX have done for games. Usually when they have AFC vs NFC matchups 99% of the time their coverage is biased toward the NFC team.

Really won't be surprised if ESPN try to poach Romo away from CBS now that Gruden has left for the Raiders. Either that, or they'll go for another big splash like Peyton Manning.

Still love Al Michaels calling a game on NBC. Has a classic feel about it.

Buck is my favourite play by play - used to be Michaels but he's starting to grate. I enjoy both Romo and Collingsworth as special comments but don't think Aikman adds much of anything. I miss Tirico and Gruden shits me, so ESPN is right out.

I think the combination of Nantz and Romo is my favourite though (no real weak spot), then Michaels and Collingsworth.

I don't love that they all treat us like idiots. It's not as bad as 9's cricket coverage, but the simplicity of the analysis and the apparent gentlemens agreement with teams that they won't analyse style and trends too deeply leaves everyone's coverage lacking.

If it comes down to commentators? I liked Tirrico and Gruden on ESPN, and I'm disappointed that NBC continues to run with Michaels ahead of Tirrico. I'm also disappointed in Tirrico's EPSN replacement - McDonough's call of the TD that wasn't on Sunday was both hilarious and awful.

Put me in the "Buck sucks" camp - I don't think he'll ever live down his screwing up of the helmet catch call. Fox have awful commentators outside these 2 as well. The commentators of the 9ers/Jags game over the Christmas weekend was memorably awful. It's disappointing, cos apart from their commentators, they probably have the best coverage.

I love Romo on CBS though - he's kind of like Ponting on the cricket. Extremely smart, understands the game inside out, and tells you what's about to happen in the game with amazing regularity. But the flipside is that CBS' coverage has always felt 2 years behind the other networks.

So I couldn't vote in this poll, cos I don't think any of them are particularly good.

McDonough’s overrated. Michaels is a little over the hill. Hopefully Gruden has success as a coach so he never goes back to the booth.

Hate the whole Fox pre game Neanderthal team, god they’re s**t.

Like Buck, Nantz and don’t mind Tiricco. Used to like Ian ‘Iron’ Eagle and his partner, haven’t heard them for a while. Romo’s great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McDonough’s overrated. Michaels is a little over the hill. Hopefully Gruden has success as a coach so he never goes back to the booth.

Hate the whole Fox pre game Neanderthal team, god they’re s**t.

Like Buck, Nantz and don’t mind Tiricco. Used to like Ian ‘Iron’ Eagle and his partner, haven’t heard them for a while. Romo’s great
McDonough has BT disease. He was good calling college football, but when he was moved to NFL he became a tool. Like BT when he moved from FoxFooty to 7.

McDonough has BT disease. He was good calling college football, but when he was moved to NFL he became a tool. Like BT when he moved from FoxFooty to 7.

Only difference is that BT always has and always will be a massive tool.

Agreed on the ESPN stuff - it just has a flat and amateur vibe

CBS and FOX are probably my favourite, most of Fox's callers are half decent and I can deal with Buck and Aikman even though they're sometimes pretty dumb and annoying.

For me it's just the design of stuff (scoreboard, replay transition, studio transition, sideline reporter etc.) which I like on FOX.

My favourite broadcast team is Fowler and Herbstreit on ESPN College football though, Saturday night games - the big games. The design and all that is elite, they're both pretty good and for me their voices have become synonymous with an exciting close game of football.

Cringey to watch that footage of Gerard going the full Eastlake in the commentary box. Pausing to look down at his cheat sheet for players names.

Yeah but the rest was worth it. Al Michaels on the other hand sounded like he was half alseep. NBC should also incorporate more crowd noise into broadcast, they obviously filter it but it sounded like a funeral.

Back