Opinion Favourite Pre AFL SANFL non Port Player

Remove this Banner Ad

My old man was a trainer for them so had to watch them every second week (the other week was spent with Grandfather at the Alberton bowls club).

Remember DJ was about 17.

Sims was a thug and Heart was a sniper but Bennett was like d Smith exept a craper version.

DJ didnt play Afl till he was 24. He spent heaps of time in the sanfl hitting people behind the play. His hit on Hutton was one of the most gutless things ive seen on a football field and it wasnt the only time he did it

Agree that Bennett was a softer Smith, but he loved to come into melees late and attempt to throw his weight around. He was gutless and a grub, not a thug.

DJ didnt play Afl till he was 24. He spent heaps of time in the sanfl hitting people behind the play. His hit on Hutton was one of the most gutless things ive seen on a football field and it wasnt the only time he did it

Agree that Bennett was a softer Smith, but he loved to come into melees late and attempt to throw his weight around. He was gutless and a grub, not a thug.
I dont remember the hit on Hutts Bennett was a tosser.

I must have been watching a different North Adelaide back then

I remember a couple of dog acts from D Jarman, usually when he was frustrated by North losing.

Not sure about guys like Clisby or Carlaw who I recall as mostly harmless but they had a few guys with anger management issues. You could add David Robertson, Trevor Grenfell (who went to Port), Jason Roe (who came from Port) and Stephen Hay. Mickey Nunan must have scoured the football leagues for those guys.

Jason Roe was suspended in a finals series and had to be physically restrained from attacking the tribunal judge.

To call Darren Jarman a guless grub is un fair.
Not like he was their for long.

Same with Ant, had no problem fighting out of his weight class.

1 Rily was a thug i think it was Steven, John wasn't and that not just because he was a rocket scientist.

Even Klomp was pritty fair.

My memory of Klomp isn't great, it is based on the 1991 bloodbath with his captains speech featuring many f bombs.

Stephen Tiller was a pretty solid contributor in those North sides, Sam Parsons too

Stephen Tiller was a pretty solid contributor in those North sides, Sam Parsons too

Michael Parsons the ruckman? He definitely went the knuckle a bit in the 1987 grand final. I think he was sick of North being bullied by the Bays in grand finals (yes it was a thing!) and took it upon himself to make a stand.

It's a bit scary to think that a few of the guys discussed in this thread have passed away at not too great an age.

Parsons, Ken Whelan, Ian Stasinowsky come readily to mind.

His smashing of Rohan Smith's cheekbone was worse than Bickley's hit on Wakelin

In between the moments he was hitting people in the head, Klomp was fair. ;)

I remember Dave Granger splitting Klomp open like a ripe watermelon back in the day too. Head wounds bleed like fountains.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1:17:40 in this video:

Hutts is one of the nicest guys you could meet but tough as old boot leather. Needed to be to survive that cheapie.

Hutts is one of the nicest guys you could meet but tough as old boot leather. Needed to be to survive that cheapie.

I reckon he copped a bigger one in the 89 finals against Centrals on the other wing. Was one of our all time most courageous players

As Magpiespower has already said, that 83 Westies team was quite likeable. I also didn't mind the Warriors team of around 87/88.

West '83 is pretty much my favourite team of all-time. Dunno why, I just have this weird love affair with that side. Even bought red and black merch at the grand final to cheer 'em on.

Dad must've been worried coz he made me bin all of it on the way home.

Woodville '86 was an awesome ride. Even though we got rolled, that epic 1st Semi Final in front of a record crowd of 39,066 was something else. Thought we had it in the bag with a nine goal first quarter and 36 point lead.

Almost the ultimate Cinderella story. If only they didn't kick 2.10 in the last quarter of the prelim. Sheeeeeeit...

1:08:00 in this vid:

Ouch! Oh yeah remember that one too. Sometimes you wonder how they survive those hits.

How good were those teams?

Woodville merging with Torrens was absolutely crazy.

Woodville were garbage for 20 years basically, and then they come good in 86 and remain a reasonable side until '90....they had some fantastic players in latter half of 80's/1990 - Klug (one of my favourites), Taylor, Champion, Jakovich, Pannizza, Nichols.

For them to merge when it was Torrens that had the financial issues was just plain ridiculous.

I look back at those Warriors sides with a lot of fondness; Torrens were very meh, but harmless enough (apart from when they smashed us at Footy Park in 1985).

But WWT Eagles - theyre just like some type of ugly Frankenstein creation.

Ouch! Oh yeah remember that one too. Sometimes you wonder how they survive those hits.

How good were those teams?

#3 at the 32 second mark, is that Andrew Obst?

Woodville were garbage for 20 years basically, and then they come good in 86 and remain a reasonable side until '90....they had some fantastic players in latter half of 80's/1990 - Klug (one of my favourites), Taylor, Champion, Jakovich, Pannizza, Nichols.

For them to merge when it was Torrens that had the financial issues was just plain ridiculous.

I look back at those Warriors sides with a lot of fondness; Torrens were very meh, but harmless enough (apart from when they smashed us at Footy Park in 1985).

It's funny how success can affect perceptions though.

I didn't mind the hapless Brisbane Bears, but can't stand the false economised Brisbane Lions. I didn't mind the battling Scray until their freekick-soaked Bradbury triumph last year, so soon after bottoming out following three consecutive Prelim appearances.

As independent entities Woodville and West Torrens oscillated between irrelevant and harmless, but goodness gracious, as a joint venture the whole operation seemed to be inundated with flogs, highlighted by old mate Contax Tango Partland and his fateful boasts of 1994.

The one thing they do deserve unqualified credit for is their youth development. Unlike Centrals who won all their flags while churning out spudbags chocabloc full of mediocrity, WWT have maintained a consistent level of success while producing elite talent - especially talls - the likes of Matthew Pavlich, Brian Lake, Nathan Bock, Sam Jacobs and Jay Schulz.

Just read that the person Pecker to kick 100 in a season was Trevor Pierson in 1982 with 104 goals.

Was he any good? Can't find much about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back