Remove this Banner Ad

Danger Mouse

Club Legend
May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
So who's the man? :)

My personal favourites are Chris Barsby and Mark McNamara! Either are world class race callers who can even make the dullest race entertaining!

Matt Hill is by far the best racecalling talent in Australia in my view. He'll no doubt be Sydney's main caller when Ian Craig retires.

I agree with Jim Jacques, he perhaps overdramatises everything. And it was funny the other night when he started reading out some tote odds during a race, then realised they were for the next race. Stick to calling Jim!

I never used to be able to stand Chris Barsby but I think he's toned it back a little and actually has sounded better when calling the Gold Coast gallops in recent weeks. Calls a horse race better than a harness race.

The south african caller who speaks so slow. Clears his throat takes deep breaths and there are periods of silence. Makes it thrilling when your chasing at 1 in the morning haha.

Can't go past the best in Greg Miles, listen to his calls of cup week, a real pro and the best in the world.

I hate Alan Thomas, talks too much crap, tells us why horse A will win, and why horse b cant and won't, when B beats A he tells us why he thought that B could win and how he thought A wasn't that great a chance.

I want a caller who calls the race, not tells us how his pockets are feeling.

Jim Jacques is awesome. :thumbsu:
Hillton Donaldson is awful. :thumbsdown:
Tom Durkin is a legend. :thumbsu:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5a3sdADaf5U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5a3sdADaf5U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Ron Papps the former SA race caller in a photo finishing before Sky and TVN were born.

Dan Mielecki (spelling??) Is one of the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worst used to be Brian Martin...
Everythings a chance with 100m to go
" Just a little bit further ...back in behind them...tackled by..."
:D

favs would be David Fowler, Dan Milecki, Ian Craig, Greg Miles, Jim Jaques

Dan Mielicki is one of my favourites, his call of the Melton Plate in 2005 is one of my favourites.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B6p4mUSH1_c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B6p4mUSH1_c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Matt Hill is by far the best racecalling talent in Australia in my view. He'll no doubt be Sydney's main caller when Ian Craig retires. Agree he will takeover someday

I agree with Jim Jacques, he perhaps overdramatises everything. And it was funny the other night when he started reading out some tote odds during a race, then realised they were for the next race. Stick to calling Jim! Just middle of the range - excitable

I never used to be able to stand Chris Barsby but I think he's toned it back a little and actually has sounded better when calling the Gold Coast gallops in recent weeks. Calls a horse race better than a harness race. Painful

G.Miles for me year after year, was not a B Martin fan, Milecki at the trots, and for Dogs, WA caller Levtzke goes alright.

Greg Miles is great, the whole package, reads a race well and like a good footy player he seems to have all the time in the world. When in one of the biggest races on the calendar you’ve got the balls to make a call on a nostril hair (and be right), then your pretty good.

We have a caller in NZ, Darren Tyquin, he calls a race as though he’s got one eye missing and theres 3-4 drunks tapping him on the shoulder at the same time with info on who’s making a run.

The result is upwards of 15 runners in a 6 horse field making the defining burst inside the last 50 metres only to be nabbed on the line by the 16th runner who pops up from a hole in the ground inside the last half metre!

Im a big Stuart Lowe fan from here in the West. Fine fine caller and very under-rated by many.

Oh I was joking about Stuey Lowe.

Terrible is probably a bit nice, I could find a lot better word to describe his calls.

sorry to disagree...but im scared what will happen when john hunt and darren mcaullay retire...i hear the calling at the provincials there at both codes and they are terrible.
John Hunt retires at the end of the month doesnt he? He's a ripper harness caller.

I agree with you though, the calling stocks in WA are thin. Even with the Dogs, when Peter O'Neill is away from Cannington or Mandurah the calling is woeful.

Best:

Terry McAulliffe - Great voice, and normally paints a picture for you. Not calling as much these days.
Darren McAullay - Outstanding, rarely misses a beat.
Dan Milecki
Greg Miles
Lachlan McIntosh - Boring as they come but at least you know where your horse is.
Mark McNamara - Excellent, love it when I see him calling.

Worst:

Brian Markovic - Absolutely appalling. Goes through the same spiel every race
Rick McIntosh - Much the same. No good.
Ian Craig - Great voice but focuses on favourites too much and overrates how horses are travelling in the run.
Tom Shillington - Dog caller in the Horsham area. Don't even know if he's still calling but he's shocking.
Hilton Donaldson - He just doesn't seem to have a feel for a race. Bags the horses he's tipped if they struggle. Stinker.
Alan Thomas - Agree with someone above. His actual calling is fine but the crap he goes on with prior and after a race is painful.
Rob Auber - Thankfully he only fills in every now and again at the trots.

Enjoy listening to but probably aren't the best callers:

Craig Rail - Gets right into it and can make a C0 race sound like the Miracle Mile.
Jim Jacques - Ditto
Wayne Wilson

Sure I've missed a few...

Best:
Terry McAulliffe - Great voice, and normally paints a picture for you. Not calling as much these days.
He does, but for some reason Sport 927 and 2ky take the calls from Hilton Donaldson in Adelaide. I believe McAuliffe still calls for TAB Radio in QLD and SA. Someone might know?

Rick McIntosh - Much the same. No good.
He lifts for a big race, but too often sounds like he's going through the motions. I guess thats what happens when one day your at Warrnambool and the next at Swan Hill calling a pack of donkeys.

Tom Shillington - Dog caller in the Horsham area. Don't even know if he's still calling but he's shocking..
Retired. Forced retirement. And a long time overdue too!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back