Gainzo

Team Captain
Aug 7, 2003
Nashua, New Hampshire
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bruins, Celtics, Hibs
For no apparent reason I was thinking about the times I went to Moorabbin as a kid. Growing up in Wonga Park I didn't get to go that often but I went to most of our games at VFL Park.

We all remember the classic games at Moorabbin but what are some of your favourites that no one really talks about?

For me it was Round 21 in 1987 against Collingwood. Was a lovely day and the outer was pretty packed.

My mate and I (14 years of age at the time) took the train down from Croydon North.

The Pies got off to a good start and were up 5 goals at quarter time. Things pretty much remained the same in the 2nd quarter until Plugger went off and kicked 4 goals near the end of the term.

In the 2nd half it was all St. Kilda as they steamrolled the Pies to run out 49 point winners. I believe Plugger ended up with 8 or 9 goals.

This was the game where Diacos pulled a Leigh Matthews and knocked over the point post in the 2nd quarter. It was held up by a couple of blokes for the rest of the quarter!

For no apparent reason I was thinking about the times I went to Moorabbin as a kid. Growing up in Wonga Park I didn't get to go that often but I went to most of our games at VFL Park.

We all remember the classic games at Moorabbin but what are some of your favourites that no one really talks about?

For me it was Round 21 in 1987 against Collingwood. Was a lovely day and the outer was pretty packed.

My mate and I (14 years of age at the time) took the train down from Croydon North.

The Pies got off to a good start and were up 5 goals at quarter time. Things pretty much remained the same in the 2nd quarter until Plugger went off and kicked 4 goals near the end of the term.

In the 2nd half it was all St. Kilda as they steamrolled the Pies to run out 49 point winners. I believe Plugger ended up with 8 or 9 goals.

This was the game where Diacos pulled a Leigh Matthews and knocked over the point post in the 2nd quarter. It was held up by a couple of blokes for the rest of the quarter!
I was there also & it was indeed a great game, dominated by an emerging & rampaging Plugger.
One of my favourite memories of Moorabbin was in 1972 when we smashed Richmond by 89 points.
Richmond were a great side at around that time.
From memory Big Carl was incredibly dominant that day against the Tigers. Glenn Elliott had been rapidly improving at around that time after previously being more defensive, and he also starred at Moorabbin on that occasion.
Sadly we were a bit inconsistent that year as we were easily beaten by the Bombers at Windy Hill the following week, and lost against Richmond later in the year at the MCG by 12 goals or so.
We finished the home and away season really well however by knocking off the reigning premiers Hawthorn in the final round at Glenferrie Oval (The smallest VFL/AFL ground ever)?
It was great to knock the Hawks out of contention at their home, especially after the heartbreak of 11 months earlier. The versatile Barry Lawrence, who seemed to be a bit injured, starred at full forward ( Does anyone recall a player who had such a low sense of gravity as Lawrence)?
What a star he was anyway!
Just about BOG in the Grand Final the year before.

The Saints were in fine form and accounted for the Bombers easily in the Elimination Final and comfortably extracted revenge against Collingwood the following week (The Pies had beaten us at Moorabbin earlier that season in the infamous Greening / O'Dea match).
We were a good chance to knock off Carlton (the eventual premiers) up until late in the final quarter of the Preliminary Final that year at a sunny, warm MCG.
It was an extremely skilled, high quality affair in front of a huge crowd.
From memory some of our players were affected by sickness and we tired at the end of that game.
Cowboy Neale, who was surprisingly quick for a man of his size, was brilliant in the back line that day and from memory took a screamer.
Who knows whether we would have beaten the Tigers in the Grand Final the following week?
Carlton knocked off Richmond quite easily in the decider, in what was a record high scoring match.
Overall we had an extremely good team in 1972 and with a whisker of luck could have pinched the flag.

Showing my age now but round 1 1965 beat pies by 1 goal
I reckon that was Round 1 the first game at Moorabbin. We live in Cheltenham and the old man was a passionate Collingwood member. It got a ridiculous, enormous crowd which never got bettered. The old man said the queue was going back to Nepean Hwy, so he said f$%k this ,walked back to his car and headed home!!

I reckon that was Round 1 the first game at Moorabbin. We live in Cheltenham and the old man was a passionate Collingwood member. It got a ridiculous, enormous crowd which never got bettered. The old man said the queue was going back to Nepean Hwy, so he said f$%k this ,walked back to his car and headed home!!
Yes dad took me ,we had seats in grand stand but still remember the crowd think 55,000,people were packed in everwhere.The old man got one thing right tho he said I reckon we can win a flag now,even though he grew up near junction oval

Round 2, 1989 v Carlton. Ground was packed, game was close all day and Plugger kicked 10, including the match winner with less than 30 seconds to go. An amazing game.

Yeah, this is the one I remember vividly. Mainly because when he kicked that winning goal I punched the air and my fist slammed into the roof of the old coaches box. Felt like I had broken my hand. Probably the best game at Moorabbin.

The other game that has always been a favorite of mine was 1975 vs Collingwood. We actual lost 152 to 137. Carmen kicked 11 and Georgie Young kicked 8. Was just a great game to watch, seemed to be a goal kicked every minute.

Yeah, this is the one I remember vividly. Mainly because when he kicked that winning goal I punched the air and my fist slammed into the roof of the old coaches box. Felt like I had broken my hand. Probably the best game at Moorabbin.

The other game that has always been a favorite of mine was 1975 vs Collingwood. We actual lost 152 to 137. Carmen kicked 11 and Georgie Young kicked 8. Was just a great game to watch, seemed to be a goal kicked every minute.
Both classics.

Two that stick out.

Beating Adelaide by 131. The ground was rocking and a real party atmosphere. I had the newspaper reports on that game stuck up on my bedroom wall for about 3 years.

Last game vs Fitzroy. Not a great game. Won by 11 I think. Piled out onto the ground and ripped up pieces of turf after. Planted it in the backyard at home and the grass took off. Had a terrific lawn at home right up until they sold the joint 15 years later....

I loved taking my 3 year old daughter back there to watch the AFLW last season. Brought back awesome memories in the outer, waiting for Dad and co to finish 6 cans so I could stand on them and see over the crowd. Playing on the field long after sundown with dad having a beer on the SC. Getting into the rooms and getting Wow's signature amongst others....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back