Club History Favourite Regular Season Win Against Each Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Title is pretty straight forward, share some memories, I was just thinking were there ever many good battles v Melbourne and trying to think of the first Sydney Melbourne game that comes to mind, then was bored enough to start a thread on it. Plus cmon this will only be positive, what are the best regular season wins against each opposition in your time watching the club and why? May have been a good play, that you were there, it was at a certain time for you, or you won a big bet, any old reason- maybe not the best but your favourite

For Me

Adelaide- 2017 Round 22 at Adelaide Oval- It was my first trip to Adelaide, was Friday night footy, my wife and kids were there and we are split as a family 2 crows and 2 swans- plus Buddys epic run and goal was a highlight- and an Old Crow lady telling me not to *en well swear-

Brisbane- 2005 Round 3 at the Gabba- Hall after the siren trailed by about 32 at 3/4 time and I said to everyone in the room and bet (only 50 bucks) we would win the game and we pulled it off , Brisbane were still rightly a highly rated side then

Carlton- 1995 round 8 SCG, I was only 12 but my stupid father is a blues man and they used to mostly beat us in my young days so to knock them off when they were running hot (eventual premiers) To see Plugger kick 8, a rare friday night swans game - to win by 72 bloody brilliant- nowadays we usually beat Carlton , but it used to mean something

Collingwood- round 7 1998- I was pretty pumped we played a Friday night game at the MCG and Plugger kicked 10 goals 1 from 11 kicks, I miss the big forward bags he took them apart with ease and its always stuck in my mind- last year beating them basically with Mccartin kicking out of his arse goes close too, but the first that comes to mind is pluggers 10 under lights

Essendon- Feels like we have had some great moments against these pricks, even this year climbing the post or Dempsey called to play on, But i thought in 2017 round 14 we had pissed it away and then MARK MARK ROHAN happened, and ha ha it was awesome, Papleys smother on goddard- I can watch that last bit every day on a loop where BT is calling Daniher Leo Barry- * off.

Fitzroy- 1995 Round 19, had to listen on the radio mind you IIRC but Lockett kicking 16 straight

Fremantle- this was harder as I dont really care about Freo so nothing jumped out But i Think Kennedy and Hanners both getting 40 plus touches in 2016 round 19 in perth when we took a giant turd on them is probably my favourite win against them - Heeney 4 goals

Geelong- Seen as I cant pick a final I will go with 2011 round 23 where we ended their streak at home against the odds, think Rohan had that massive running goal, the Geelong paper already printed celebration posters and we all know what Mcveigh went through that week and how the group did it for him Plus the cats were classy about it too

Gold Coast- maybe this year just because we ended their winning streak against us!

GWS- cocky campaigners I did enjoy smashing them in their first game Id go obscure and say round 21 2015 because Rose subbing on and pulling 3 goals out of his rectum and then never ever repeating that sort of effort ever again stands out as a miracle

Hawthorn- 2012 Round 5 Aurora stadium- My town, I held the Banner up, the swans crowd was louder than the hawks crowd, they were over hyped and I think we went to 5-0 , overran them in the second half- then went home watched the replay and as we shat on them the commentators started to surprisingly think we were a flag chance.

Melbourne- 2003 round 5 10 goal last quarter- Id almost argue thats where this era started- we havent had too many classics against this rabble, but that felt like when the team said * this lets be a great club

North Melbourne- they feel like the friend you beat and he always has an excuse, beating them back in the 90s meant more- So Ill say 1999 round 4 I think it was Cressa with a late goal at the scg and we won by 2 back when they thought they could try to play in sydney

Port Adelaide - because I cant say a final I will go with 2014 round 13- I think Buddy won that himself basically and they were quite a good side then, was a ripping contest and he kicked that goal from the centre of the CBD

Richmond- I only vaugly remember the 1987 game we kicked 30 goals in, but its one of my earliest swans memories when i was 3 and It got me hooked on the side so ill nominate that- kicked 30 goals three weeks in a row, imagine that today

StKilda- what a bunch of duds they are as a club Round 21 2014 when Buddy kicked 9 and we made them look like s**t I honestly remember that even though stkilda were poor we were going to run on and win the flag

West Coast- 2005 round 17 was my first home game i ever went too- and it gave me a feeling if we could knock them off we could win the flag, that eagles midfield was stacked and we played a real tough game.

Western Bulldogs- I just feel robbed when i think of this shitful club, but I guess when we beat them in 97 round 17 by a shitload- because the previous meeting libba tried to basically scratch paul kelly to death so really wanted that one

This was long sorry

Title is pretty straight forward, share some memories, I was just thinking were there ever many good battles v Melbourne and trying to think of the first Sydney Melbourne game that comes to mind, then was bored enough to start a thread on it. Plus cmon this will only be positive, what are the best regular season wins against each opposition in your time watching the club and why? May have been a good play, that you were there, it was at a certain time for you, or you won a big bet, any old reason- maybe not the best but your favourite

For Me

Adelaide- 2017 Round 22 at Adelaide Oval- It was my first trip to Adelaide, was Friday night footy, my wife and kids were there and we are split as a family 2 crows and 2 swans- plus Buddys epic run and goal was a highlight- and an Old Crow lady telling me not to fu**en well swear-

Brisbane- 2005 Round 3 at the Gabba- Hall after the siren trailed by about 32 at 3/4 time and I said to everyone in the room and bet (only 50 bucks) we would win the game and we pulled it off , Brisbane were still rightly a highly rated side then

Carlton- 1995 round 8 SCG, I was only 12 but my stupid father is a blues man and they used to mostly beat us in my young days so to knock them off when they were running hot (eventual premiers) To see Plugger kick 8, a rare friday night swans game - to win by 72 bloody brilliant- nowadays we usually beat Carlton , but it used to mean something

Collingwood- round 7 1998- I was pretty pumped we played a Friday night game at the MCG and Plugger kicked 10 goals 1 from 11 kicks, I miss the big forward bags he took them apart with ease and its always stuck in my mind- last year beating them basically with Mccartin kicking out of his arse goes close too, but the first that comes to mind is pluggers 10 under lights

Essendon- Feels like we have had some great moments against these pricks, even this year climbing the post or Dempsey called to play on, But i thought in 2017 round 14 we had pi**ed it away and then MARK MARK ROHAN happened, and ha ha it was awesome, Papleys smother on goddard- I can watch that last bit every day on a loop where BT is calling Daniher Leo Barry- fu** off.

Fitzroy- 1995 Round 19, had to listen on the radio mind you IIRC but Lockett kicking 16 straight

Fremantle- this was harder as I dont really care about Freo so nothing jumped out But i Think Kennedy and Hanners both getting 40 plus touches in 2016 round 19 in perth when we took a giant turd on them is probably my favourite win against them - Heeney 4 goals

Geelong- Seen as I cant pick a final I will go with 2011 round 23 where we ended their streak at home against the odds, think Rohan had that massive running goal, the Geelong paper already printed celebration posters and we all know what Mcveigh went through that week and how the group did it for him Plus the cats were classy about it too

Gold Coast- maybe this year just because we ended their winning streak against us!

GWS- cocky campaigners I did enjoy smashing them in their first game Id go obscure and say round 21 2015 because Rose subbing on and pulling 3 goals out of his rectum and then never ever repeating that sort of effort ever again stands out as a miracle

Hawthorn- 2012 Round 5 Aurora stadium- My town, I held the Banner up, the swans crowd was louder than the hawks crowd, they were over hyped and I think we went to 5-0 , overran them in the second half- then went home watched the replay and as we shat on them the commentators started to surprisingly think we were a flag chance.

Melbourne- 2003 round 5 10 goal last quarter- Id almost argue thats where this era started- we havent had too many classics against this rabble, but that felt like when the team said fu** this lets be a great club

North Melbourne- they feel like the friend you beat and he always has an excuse, beating them back in the 90s meant more- So Ill say 1999 round 4 I think it was Cressa with a late goal at the scg and we won by 2 back when they thought they could try to play in sydney

Port Adelaide - because I cant say a final I will go with 2014 round 13- I think Buddy won that himself basically and they were quite a good side then, was a ripping contest and he kicked that goal from the centre of the CBD

Richmond- I only vaugly remember the 1987 game we kicked 30 goals in, but its one of my earliest swans memories when i was 3 and It got me hooked on the side so ill nominate that- kicked 30 goals three weeks in a row, imagine that today

StKilda- what a bunch of duds they are as a club Round 21 2014 when Buddy kicked 9 and we made them look like s**t I honestly remember that even though stkilda were poor we were going to run on and win the flag

West Coast- 2005 round 17 was my first home game i ever went too- and it gave me a feeling if we could knock them off we could win the flag, that eagles midfield was stacked and we played a real tough game.

Western Bulldogs- I just feel robbed when i think of this s**tful club, but I guess when we beat them in 97 round 17 by a s**tload- because the previous meeting libba tried to basically scratch paul kelly to death so really wanted that one

This was long sorry

Don't be sorry. That was absolutely fantastic. Great work.

Two immediately came to my mind and will check dates, rounds and margins later.

I think we managed to toss Melbourne, one of the years they won a Premiership. We were massive underdogs.

In the glorious run to the Finals in 1970 we managed to flog the hated Carlolton by around 12 goals.

Will check dates and margins later.

Don't be sorry. That was absolutely fantastic. Great work.

Two immediately came to my mind and will check dates, rounds and margins later.

I think we managed to toss Melbourne, one of the years they won a Premiership. We were massive underdogs.

In the glorious run to the Finals in 1970 we managed to flog the hated Carlolton by around 12 goals.

Will check dates and margins later.

that would have been a bloody good win against those pricks

South Melbourne23.12 (150)Carlton10.13 (73)Lake Oval28,39516 May 1970

that would have been a bloody good win against those pricks

South Melbourne23.12 (150)Carlton10.13 (73)Lake Oval28,39516 May 1970

It was. Thanks for finding this. The place was absolutely rocking. I'd undersold the margin, which I think was a then record against those mugs.

From memory I had a few quiet ones in the members and then hit Clarendon St with a mate, hoping to get lucky. (I used to do a lot of hoping in those days)

YouTube highlights attached to club name. Most are from the last 5 or so years, I admittedly only really started paying strong attention to footy at the start of the decade.

Adelaide - Round 3 2014: aka the 'Hey this Buddy guy might actually be pretty good' game. Honorable mention that 2013 game.

Brisbane - Round 6 2010: the Daniel Bradshaw torp game, smashing them when they were in red hot form to start the year

Carlton - Round 16 2008: absolute thriller, was at the game with a Carlton mate

Collingwood - Round 1 2016: no one saw this blowout coming and when you're up 93-10 against Collingwood that's just a fun time.

Essendon - Round 1 2015: crap game overall really, but that comeback was amazing.

Fremantle - Round 19 2016: rained on Pav's parade with a demolition job. Absolute classic JPK performance.

Geelong - Round 11 2014: #gee110ng, one of the best games the club has played this decade. Tippett and Franklin dominating.

Gold Coast - Round 16 2017: there really isn't one I care about, only picked this one because if Rohan and Towers are your two best on ground that's pretty entertaining in itself

GWS - Round 21 2017: one of Tippett's best ever games, JPK on fire again. First one that popped to my head. Losses against GWS stick in my mind more.

Hawthorn - Round 5 2012: Goodesy's record breaking game, a big upset at the time and stamped us as possible contenders very early in the season

Melbourne - Round 6 2015: No real standouts for Melbourne either, picked this one because I went to the game and it was a joy watching McVeigh and Jetta skillfully cut through the MCG.

North Melbourne - Round 17 2018: one of the most entertaining games of footy you will see, should be the modern standard for the competition.

Port Adelaide - Round 13 2014: the Buddy show, top of the table clash, sold out crowd, perfect day for footy. Classic.

Richmond - Round 13 2017: another great comeback, kept our season alive after looking doomsdayish in the first quarter. Honorable mention to Micky O's 300th in 2009

St Kilda - Round 23 2019: an emotional sendoff to 4 club legends and Buddy playing his 300th. Perfect day.

West Coast - Round 16 2012: was meant to be a 1st vs 2nd classic, instead we rolled into Perth and beat them by 9 goals. Cemented us a premiership favourite.

Western Bulldogs - Round 21 2012: the highest score ever kicked under John Longmire, 14 goal kickers kicked 26 goals.

Last edited:
I think two Geelong games actually come to mind. The game where we beat them on their home turf in 2011 comes to mind as it was so unexpected, us being the first team in years to beat Geelong in Geelong.

The other game is 2014 at the SCG against Geelong where we pulled a performance out of no where and beat Geelong by about 110 points. It was the best I had ever seen the Swans play, and remains as such. Still I will have to go with 2011 as the preferred game because no matter how good the 2014 game was it is always slightly tainted by the knowledge that later on in the year that team got destroyed in the Grand Final.

The Melbourne win I remember was not a Dees Premiership year. It was in fact in 1965, which marked the start of the Norm Smith curse.

We had come off a couple of shocking years, inc the unmentionable when our only two wins were v Fitzroy. But in 1965 we had picked up some pretty handy players to help Skilts and a couple of stalwarts.

It was Round 15 in August and we ended up beating them by 39 points - it was a bloody miracle.

Some great Bloods names played that day. The records say Skilts was goal less, but he did pick up a lazy 34 possessions. Both Tommy Papleys grand dads played as did a young Mopsy Rantall. Graeme John dominated at chf taking 10 marks. Other favourites included Stuey Magee who dominated. The little fellas were well served by Elkin Reilly in the ruck. Paul Harrison and Eric Sarich would have kept any Demon mongrels under control.

The one thing I remember was the old man and an uncle giving me stick after the game. They had been optimistic and I was the opposite before the game.

The Melbourne win I remember was not a Dees Premiership year. It was in fact in 1965, which marked the start of the Norm Smith curse.

We had come off a couple of shocking years, inc the unmentionable when our only two wins were v Fitzroy. But in 1965 we had picked up some pretty handy players to help Skilts and a couple of stalwarts.

It was Round 15 in August and we ended up beating them by 39 points - it was a bloody miracle.

Some great Bloods names played that day. The records say Skilts was goal less, but he did pick up a lazy 34 possessions. Both Tommy Papleys grand dads played as did a young Mopsy Rantall. Graeme John dominated at chf taking 10 marks. Other favourites included Stuey Magee who dominated. The little fellas were well served by Elkin Reilly in the ruck. Paul Harrison and Eric Sarich would have kept any Demon mongrels under control.

The one thing I remember was the old man and an uncle giving me stick after the game. They had been optimistic and I was the opposite before the game.

34 touches worth a lot more then given overall stats numbers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, op stole my homework and handed it in before me v Hathorn. Tassie game. Down at half time, great come back. To me it was the game that announced that generation of Swans. I also went down for the North game this year. Who doesn't love small grounds, MONA and a win all in the one day? Even the weather was good.

Maybe not my favourites, but a few recent memorable games for different reasons...

Adelaide a few years ago. We lost, just. But great game and still the loudest H&A crowd I've heard. Also easier to take when you've spent the day in McLaren Vale.

Collingwood. Hammered them. Never heard the MCG so quiet. It began a run of games where I missed the moment of history. Goodesy's famous incident, I must've been fetching pies.

Ditto Carlton dance. I swear if I'd been at the Hindenberg disaster I would've been in the hangar gift shop buying a postcard. It's become such a blur I'm not even sure if I was there or not.

Essendon. I never leave games early but I'd taken my family. My son had an early game the next day, listened to my partner who wanted to beat the rush given the game looked a lost cause. Huddled around a phone with some random Swans fans for the last minute. Not sure people have been that excited in the SCG carpark since the 90s dance parties.

Hey, op stole my homework and handed it in before me v Hathorn. Tassie game. Down at half time, great come back. To me it was the game that announced that generation of Swans. I also went down for the North game this year. Who doesn't love small grounds, MONA and a win all in the one day? Even the weather was good.

Maybe not my favourites, but a few recent memorable games for different reasons...

Adelaide a few years ago. We lost, just. But great game and still the loudest H&A crowd I've heard. Also easier to take when you've spent the day in McLaren Vale.

Collingwood. Hammered them. Never heard the MCG so quiet. It began a run of games where I missed the moment of history. Goodesy's famous incident, I must've been fetching pies.

Ditto Carlton dance. I swear if I'd been at the Hindenberg disaster I would've been in the hangar gift shop buying a postcard. It's become such a blur I'm not even sure if I was there or not.

Essendon. I never leave games early but I'd taken my family. My son had an early game the next day, listened to my partner who wanted to beat the rush given the game looked a lost cause. Huddled around a phone with some random Swans fans for the last minute. Not sure people have been that excited in the SCG carpark since the 90s dance parties.

GOLD

Adelaide- 1995 I was at the game and you could walk into the SCG and take your own row of seats in those days and I sat near the goals at the Randwick end. We kicked 11.9 in the last quarter. One of Micky O’Loughlin’s early games.

Brisbane- 2003 at the SCG and we beat the back to back premiers.

Carlton- 1995 the Blues only lost a couple that year but we knocked off the eventual premiers convincingly.

Collingwood- 2005 win with Nick Davis showing his worth. Rare to beat the Pies so stands out as a non final win.

Essendon- 1997 Lockett put Fletcher over the fence. Swans kicked the last 3 goals to pinch a close win.

Fitzroy- 1991 one of the first games I went to live at the SCG. Belted then had a great time.

Fremantle - 2002 Round 13, Paul Roos first game as coach. Played decent football that had been lost in the final year of Eades reign.

Geelong - 2011 win at Kardinia. A rare loss at the Cattery for the Cats who would go on to win the flag a month later.

Gold Coast - Nothing stands out other than a win in the wet.

GWS - 2012 first game for the Giants and it’s not often you can say you went to an inaugural game.

Hawthorn - 2012 win in Tasmania.

Melbourne - 1993 when we broke the 26 game losing streak. Amazing scenes at the end of the game.

North Melbourne - 2002 Cresswell milks dodge free kick to pinch win.

Port Adelaide - 2014 at the SCG Buddy lit up and won the game off his boot.

Richmond - 2017 win at the MCG kicking 8 of the last 9 to beat the eventual premiers. After the 0-6 start every game was a final.

St Kilda- 2004 Stopped the 10 game winning streak of the Saints. Played amazing football that day.

Western Bulldogs - 1997 revenge for Libba senior being a campaigner earlier in the year.

West Coast - 2019 great win given where the club was on the ladder.

I'll give this a go.

(snip)

Norf - Seriously? I have to pick one? Every time we beat them it feels like a premiership. Honestly hate this club more than anything, but if I have to pick one, it'll probably have to be the 107 point win in 2001 at the height of the boo-a-roo campaign that was made better by the fact Carey had an absolute stinker in front of goal - including missing a set shot from 10m out straight in front.

(snip)

Nice to see a like-minded fan.

I'm a bit too young to do this list (and too obsessed with league to fairly do the 2000's), so this list is very recent:

Adelaide - Rd 22 2017. Genuine top of the tree clash, lived up to the hype.

Brisbane Lions - probably the Rd 3 clash 2005 where Hall kicked the goal on the siren to take the lead at the final second. I admit my memories are a bit hazy here though, so if not that let's go the Bradshaw show in Rd 6 2010.

Carlton - not too much to write home about here. So let's go the Buddy 25-10-10 game he played Rd 23 in 2017. Wish I could remember the 95 win.

Collingwood - hard to find wins against these guys. However, it's a tie between the Rd 1 belting in 2016 and the Adam Goodes game in 2013. The latter however caused horrible memories long-term.

Essendon - lots of examples here though! I'm gonna say the Rd 14 clash in 2017. Imagine Rohan as the match-winner!

Fremantle - I'll say the Rd 5 clash in 2014, given I had some bad memories of what happened the year before in the SCG clash against the two. Very key win given we were 1-3 at the time and the season threatened to spiral out of control.

Geelong - 2011 Rd 23. IIRC it was the first time someone beat them down there since 2007? Crazy result and bonus points for being off McVeigh's daughter's death. HM to the 110 point victory in 2014.

Gold Coast - nothing really comes to mind. I think there was a 2014 clash where Buddy nearly decapitated Clay Cameron (IIRC) that was a decent game, and the 2016 clash was fun if only for the novelty factor.

Greater Western Sydney - actually hard to think of a good example here, most of the more memorable games we've played were losses. That 2017 game was decent I guess, though I don't remember much of it.

Hawthorn - Rd 5 2012. Though the 2014 Rd 8 clash was also fun, as was the 2015 Rd 7 clash. Any win against them is fun!

Melbourne - Rd 21 2018. Very close game where Heeney decided to go into the stratosphere late in the 4th quarter when they were doing all the attacking.

North Melbourne - Rd 17 2018. One of the best games I ever attended, was very close throughout and had some thrilling footy. Also had an awesome battle with Majak and Allir.

Port Adelaide - Rd 14 2014. Best game I ever attended. One of Buddy's biggest performances.

Richmond - Rd 13 2017. Down and out in a must-win game for finals, but produced one of our best backs to the wall performances to roll them.

St Kilda - I could say the Rd 11 2004 clash, but realistically that was before my time as a footy fan. So maybe it was 2 days ago, which while lacking in drama it made up for in emotion.

West Coast - Rd 17 2012. Rolling them there was extremely tough and a key sign that we were balls deep in this season. Though now I think about it I don't remember enough about this game to judge, so with that out of the equation it might be this year's game.

Western Bulldogs - actually tough to find a great example. Maybe the Rd 12 clash in 2017? IIRC we were really struggling at that point and it was off a couple of very controversial losses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back