Movie Favourite Science-Fiction Movie

Remove this Banner Ad

The difference between horror & sci-fi can be a difficult one, but personally I'd have Poltergeist & The Exorcist as horror films

me too.

Alien/the Thing could definitely fall into both categories imo .. maybe Night of the Living Dead too ... ooh, that silly one I saw last year, Splice, definitely has elements of horror and sci-fi too ..

All of my faves have been mentioned except for these:

Underrated and ahead of it's time:

Videodrome
and another 80's classic:

poltergeist.jpg

Thats not Science fiction but :( based on events, bit less of artistic license taken than this movie

exorcistb.jpg

Blade Runner, Alien, Aliens, Twelve Monkeys and every even-numbered Star Trek film (yes, even 10)

My favorite Sci Fi movie is.......The Empire Strikes Back

My second fav............The Matrix.

My third Fav.............Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan.

and you can keep your shitty big budget, overacted crap that passes as sci fi these days like Xmen.

also Horror like exorcist & Polteirgeist are not Sci Fi....bloody philistines.

Next fantasy movies like Lord of the rings is not Sci Fi.....bloody frodites.

ah good call Robby Roy, forgot about Moon, what a great little movie that was - directed by David Bowie's son ! Looking forward to him releasing something else soon, I believe he will be returning to sci-fi territory for his follow-up effort .. :thumbsu:
Moon was f-ing brilliant. How Sam Rockwell didn't get nominated for an Oscar that year is beyond me. Absolute injustice.

The Thing is awesome, new remake of the remake will be s**t
Aliens
Event Horizon - Paul WS Andersons best work
Equilibrium def underated by many

Just bumping this due to a recent convo in the Top 10 Sci-Fi [TV] Shows thread:

My top 20 Sci-Fi Films (based on overall film quality, rather than the heady veracity of the sci-fi concepts therein or purity of its genre fit):
1. Blade Runner
2. Alien
3. The Terminator
4. The Thing
5. Her
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
7. Stalker
8. Brazil
9. Aliens
10. Children of Men

11. Planet of the Apes (original)
12. A Clockwork Orange
13. Alien 3
14. Gravity
15. Videodrome
16. The Fly
17. Solaris (original)
18. Akira
19. NGE: The End of Evangelion
20. Mad Max

yeah yeah i know, it's hardly a great film overall and even i accept empire was a superior product. however, return of the jedi is still my fave of all time.

Ok a few of mine (I'd go with The Martian if it was just one movie).

The Martian (2015)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Aliens (1986)
- I wish more sequels would risk changing their genre and tone as much as Aliens. Alien was a suspenseful, fear of what's just out of sight style space horror and rather than repeating that they made a full on space marines war movie. And it is glorious.
Inception (2010)
Ghostbusters (1984) -
SciFi? It would make the list as an all time favourite comedy as well.
Primer (2004) - more proof that ideas trump budget, Primer was made for $7000 is one of the best time travel movies ever.
The Andromeda Strain (1971)
Gattaca (1997) -
Maybe not underrated now but definitely overlooked when released.

Maybe not great but they have their moments:
When Worlds Collide (1951) - childhood favourite from when the Saturday morning cartoons ended with the midday movie and hitting gold was something sci-fi rather than Elvis.
They Live (1988)
Cube (1997)
The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961)
Upgrade (2018) - maybe a better action movie than scifi but still great to see an Aussie movie done that well.
Fire in the Sky (1993)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The epics for mine in terms of really taking you away from everyday world to imagination were Planet of the Apes and the Time Machine.
They are dated in terms of special effects but in terms of the story line and how good they were for their time, they are the two that spring to mind first.
The Terminator in 1984 was great too in a more modern era of cinema and then came The Matrix and Inception.

I am sure there are others that come to my mind later but these movies really hit the spot for me. The first two as a little kid seeing only on tv well after their cinema eras, Terminator as a teenager and the more recent two as adult.

Sci-fi movies are hard to make and hit the spot. Some do a half decent job and then * up in some way it leaves me less than satisfied. Interstellar is good example of that.

Plenty of movies I also liked but not my favourites. Things like Star Trek movies are ok but because I enjoyed episodes of tv more as sci-fi movies themselves they are not in my favourites. I actually think Deep Space Nine feels like a great movie for first two hours, then just becomes a tv series and never really hits the mark for me fully as a tv series.

Sci-fi movies are hard to make and hit the spot. Some do a half decent job and then fu** up in some way it leaves me less than satisfied. Interstellar is good example of that.
You are completely right.
I know I am always on the look for good new sci fi film and continually end up disappointed, it is a hard genre to get right.
Its like you can forgive a dumb action movie for being dumb, but with sci fi you expect more, like "you're meant to be better than this"

No particular order.

Blade Runner
Alien and Aliens
Mad Max fury road - modern classic
The Thing
Snowpiercer
The edge of tomorrow - horrible name should have kept the name All You Need Is Kill
Moon
The Abyss - the resucitation scene had me feeling things I wasn't prepared for
Predator - this is a legitimate good movie and Arnie's best, the score is an 11/10

You are completely right.
I know I am always on the look for good new sci fi film and continually end up disappointed, it is a hard genre to get right.
Its like you can forgive a dumb action movie for being dumb, but with sci fi you expect more, like "you're meant to be better than this"
I am kind of more forgiving for a movie like Interstellar as it kinds of inspires someone else to make a better sci-fi movie as it shows possibilities and also is good example of mistakes not to make for movies that come later of similar genre. I only get down if the same basic mistake is made time and again. I cannot stand any movie marketed as sci-fi now if really only a different version of goodies v baddies in space and the sci-fi is pushed to the side for in space war/action scenes the bread and butter of the movie. It is why as popular as Star Wars was for most people it never really hit spot with me. Too many other sci-fi movies made same mistake motivated by the big dollar...

But I think Interstellar is better for being made than not as I think it will lead to better sci fi movies in future as it aimed for something so much better. Not quite hitting the spot I can forgive.

Fahrenheit 451

The Julie Christie version, not the crappy one from a few years ago.

But I think Interstellar is better for being made than not as I think it will lead to better sci fi movies in future as it aimed for something so much better. Not quite hitting the spot I can forgive.
Agree with this. Aim for the stars (quite literally) and not quite make it, happy to forgive.

Also, love Interstellar 🤷‍♂️

Not my favourite but Forbidden Planet is 1960s Star Trek as a big budget movie.

Not my favourite but Forbidden Planet is 1960s Star Trek as a big budget movie.

Not sure if ever seen it but cannot see the Star Trek connection.
What I do see is a Lost in Space connection of similar time.
The robot clearly was the one they modelled for Lost in Space series.
Not sure what years tv series made but in 1960's. This movie has old movies feel of maybe even late 1950's. Seems from era before tv were even a regular household item.

Don't completely agree with the Star Trek analogy but it is a science fiction adaption (or at least an 'inspired by') of a classic story, in this case Shakespeare's The Tempest , something Star Trek TV series have always been known for.

It was certainly a rarity for the time in that it went past the alien costumes and scary UFOs and had a real plot. The special effects were also fantastic for the time (nominated for an Academy and lost to The 10 Commandments) but the real reason to watch Forbidden Planet is to see Leslie Nielsen playing a straight role. He's great in it but I still half expect him to tell his space soldiers not to call him Shirley.

the real reason to watch Forbidden Planet is to see Leslie Nielsen playing a straight role. He's great in it but I still half expect him to tell his space soldiers not to call him Shirley.
Hearing his name mentioned along side word talented was hard to hear....lol

and take seriously.

Not sure if ever seen it but cannot see the Star Trek connection.
What I do see is a Lost in Space connection of similar time.
The robot clearly was the one they modelled for Lost in Space series.
Not sure what years tv series made but in 1960's. This movie has old movies feel of maybe even late 1950's. Seems from era before tv were even a regular household item.

1956 Forbidden Planet was released. 1966-69 was Star Trek.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back