Favourite Story From History

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you hear that Hitler was a hobo artist and drug addict with one testicle and that his economic policies didn't work and that he had to invade Europe to overcome his economic failure and that he lost the war he stared? Did you hear about that?
vegetarian or vegan too? what do they say about them btw?

“I managed to get the buggers sir.”

Albert Jacka, after single-handedly jumping into a trench and killing 7 Turks, taking another 3 prisoner.

My mother had an aunty who was friends with the Jackas and I have a diary (stored in a safe place) with one page featuring Jacka's signature, by this stage after WW1 and with his rank listed as captain.
Some suggest one of his MMs should have been a second VC (bar) although he wasn't even nominated by his commanders for the VC (by this stage he was an officer in France).
this seems a tad incredulous. i dont believe.

I love the story of Justinian 1 and his wife Theodora. She was the prostitute who married the King and saved Rome.

Anyone else notice women are way more badass and important in history, than they are in modern culture?

I'm not saying life was better for them back then as a gender, but it seems really counter factual to the ideas of modern "liberation" of women and the glass ceiling etc.

Wendi Deng winks

One of my favourite authors is Francis Pryor of Time Team fame and Neil had the good manners to include Francis in a segment from Flag Fen in that series.:thumbsu: Neil just has not changed a bit since his early days in Two Men in a Trench.
sometime around 2011 or 2012, i am walking up Grey St St Kilda, cue joke, and there is a guy walking out of the French building where the Alliance Francaise is, and I reckon it is Baldrick, and take a second gander. So it is Tony Robertson, I think I crossed the road and just stared ahead cos I think he would have caught half a stare and my mom always told me that staring is rude and never trust a man with thin lips. So dont know what Tony Robertson was doing in 2012, prolly trying to sell a book on a book soiree, check wheelers centre 2012

Considering that the economic might of the USSR was known to be far superior than that of the Reich, even after the purges, famines etc of the 30's, do you have an opinion as to why he still ordered Operation Barbarossa even though the odds were stacked against success?

Far superior? I was under the impression that GDP was pretty similar (and who would trust those numbers?) but German industrial output was greater until the later stages of the war. There is an interesting argument re German overengineering and the effect it had.

sometime around 2011 or 2012, i am walking up Grey St St Kilda, cue joke, and there is a guy walking out of the French building where the Alliance Francaise is, and I reckon it is Baldrick, and take a second gander. So it is Tony Robertson, I think I crossed the road and just stared ahead cos I think he would have caught half a stare and my mom always told me that staring is rude and never trust a man with thin lips. So dont know what Tony Robertson was doing in 2012, prolly trying to sell a book on a book soiree, check wheelers centre 2012
After your previous post I am unable to go past the thought of turnip shaped thingies! Or is it thingies shaped like turnips?

Far superior? I was under the impression that GDP was pretty similar (and who would trust those numbers?) but German industrial output was greater until the later stages of the war. There is an interesting argument re German overengineering and the effect it had.
Read Tooze as I suggested in the book thread. I am convinced you will like it. I have stashed it away now but from memory the naval and air forces of the USSR were superior and the man power was obviously superior. The USSR was also unprepared for the attack with the premise of the book being that Hitler recognised this and attacked as it was his only chance of victory;hardly anything other than a sensible move considering that the USSR's military might was getting bigger.

I suspect GDP did not come into it really considering the combined GDP of Britain and France was bigger than Nazi Germany and look what happened there. Seriously worth your time Wages of Destruction. Also exposes the limited research of Nazi sympathisers blaming foreign bankers for the sheer unadulterated repulsive bastardy that Hitler and his sycophantic hordes committed not only the Jews, most who were poor I might add, but also Slavs, Gypsy's, Jehovah Witness's and many others.

Did you hear that Hitler was a hobo artist and drug addict with one testicle and that his economic policies didn't work and that he had to invade Europe to overcome his economic failure and that he lost the war he stared? Did you hear about that?

He was a failed artist yes. And seemed to have a strong reliance on drugs, especially later in life. I would need quite a bit of time to address your other points. While i'm no expert on Nazi economics, it does seem that Germany recovered far better than the United States following the Great Depression.

"Even more miraculous was the fact that the transition from depression to economic boom had been accomplished without inflation, at totally stable wages and prices …" - Sebastian Haffner in 'The Meaning of Hitler'

To be honest your post is exactly what is wrong with much of what is written about WWII. The absolute lack of desire to look into anything that differs from the official story. To do so doesn't give proper recognition to things such as the Katyn massacre and other similar atrocities committed by Russia and even some of the more questionable tactics used by the allies.

Also i am quite aware of the many Australians who died in WWII, however looking critically at history doesn't diminish their sacrifice. This is yet another excuse not to stray from what is the established view.

the german government caused hyperinflation by printing money to pay reparations, you simple twat. it had nothing to do with "jewish" bankers.
heard of monetary easing the US is doing to deflate all those treasury notes the Sinos got. medusala what is the idiom about 5 grand i owe you my problem, 5 trillion in US trezureez DC owes you ur prob.

Sinos got probs.

inflate and monetary eazing away those treasury notes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

heard of monetary easing the US is doing to deflate all those treasury notes the Sinos got. medusala what is the idiom about 5 grand i owe you my problem, 5 trillion in US trezureez DC owes you ur prob.

Sinos got probs.

inflate and monetary eazing away those treasury notes

haha yeah i've heard that idiom. my dad told me back in the day. though i am unsure of the relevance of what you're saying, given that germany didn't owe money to jews, but to france and the UK etc.

While i'm no expert on Nazi economics, it does seem that Germany recovered far better than the United States following the Great Depression.

yes, because germany

a) had the benefit of fiscal stimulation prepping for war a few years earlier than the US and;
b) abandoned the gold standard earlier than the US.

once the US caught up in both these aspects, the US recovered quite well from the depression. and then proved it by crushing post-depression germany.

haha yeah i've heard that idiom. my dad told me back in the day. though i am unsure of the relevance of what you're saying, given that germany didn't owe money to jews, but to france and the UK etc.
was not really a reply to u HFC. more just a riff on borrowings and hyperinflation.

so does that mean i was incorrect when i said deflate away the debt?

was not really a reply to u HFC. more just a riff on borrowings and hyperinflation.

oh ok, that's fine :) i really enjoy your posts, i just sometimes struggle to follow them ;)

so does that mean i was incorrect when i said deflate away the debt?

no, you're totally right. it's an option for getting rid of debt. a pretty shitty option, but an option all the same!

niall ferguson chimerica n nyall hirsi ali or whatever her name is. miss cheekbones. porcelain cheekbones evo

Decoupling about to hit with a bang IMO. Wouldn't want to have a big mortgage on a Margaret River beach property

Reversion to mean is a killer.

Decoupling about to hit with a bang IMO. Wouldn't want to have a big mortgage on a Margaret River beach property

Reversion to mean is a killer.
i would be more concerned about peppermint grove than double bay.

but they should still have most of their holdings in cash and bonds with some Rio Tinto shares. (particular family). the 000.1% know when the market turns, cos when they put their money into currency, then the @rse falls out of the market.

the german government caused hyperinflation by printing money to pay reparations, you simple twat. it had nothing to do with "jewish" bankers.
Depends if you want to read deeper into the Treaty of Versailles. Complicated matter... there was a reason why Woodrow Wilson was sometimes called "The Pawn of the Jews". All I will say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back