Favourite Thrillers and Horror movies

Saw the title about gangster films so..

What are your favourite thrillers and horrors. The former is probably my favourite genre overall- but it is very hard to get right imho. Some seriously B-grade stuff out there (I'm looking in your direction Ashley Judd)... but then there are truly great ones that have stood the test of time.

From the master himself Hitchcock to word of mouth/internet The Blair Witch Project- What are your faves?

From the 90s its fairly easy: SOTL, Se7en, Copycat and Cape Fear + Misery, Primal Fear are all outstanding. To a lesser extent; The Hand that Rocks the Cradle (def nears the "B" grade that one), Sleeping with the Enemy, Basic Instinct, Patriot Games, Single White Female, The Vanishing (man that film freaked me the * out as a kid). I thought The Blair Witch Project was outstanding. Amazing concept, which just went nuts + made a fortune. But I loved the movie itself- just a never ending cycle of horror and hopelessness for the 3 characters- lost and alone during the day then chased by a mad witch during the night.

On the flip side- the stinkers:

IIRC the first ever movie i saw for free at Hoyts was "The Fan", with Robert De Niro and Wesley Snipes. Terrible. The Juror with Demi Moore- shite.

The weird:

Eyes Wide Shut.

And finally the pointless:

Psycho (the remake with Ann Heche. Srsly why did they do that)

Last edited:
Loved the Hammer Horror films as a teen.

The mastery of Christopher Lee, the genius of Peter Cushing and the damn sexy Ingrid Pitt

Re Hitchcock, idk, wasnt really a huge fan, other than The Birds.

I've only seen the new Psycho (for free) which is basically the old Psycho except in colour... Vertigo didnt do much for me. Rear Window was good tho= great plot for a film too, the wheelchair bound guy, watching others in the building across from him.. :thumbsu:

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Can go the classics, The Shining, The Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Thing, Alien, Se7en etc.

Some others a little outside the box.

Event Horizon, It Follows, Midsommar and Hereditary spring to mind, my favourite of all time (movie that is) it The Usual Suspects.

Just watched Nocturne on Amazon, that was pretty good.

Can go the classics, The Shining, The Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Thing, Alien, Se7en etc.

Some others a little outside the box.

Event Horizon, It Follows, Midsommar and Hereditary spring to mind, my favourite of all time (movie that is) it The Usual Suspects.

Just watched Nocturne on Amazon, that was pretty good.
Aliens yeah. An Exampleof sequel being better than original?

/question mark cos I've only seen 2

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I did not like Exorcist. Saw it at Hoyts upon re release 25 years. Was very underwhelmed

Its pretty classic, horror is one of the most evolving things in cinema but that and the shining started alot of staples of horror.

Ahhh i prefer the original Alien to Aliens but they are both great. Alien 3 (Which was David Fincher of Se7en fame directorial debut) was bad and hoenstly anything from that point on hasnt been great.

Its pretty classic, horror is one of the most evolving things in cinema but that and the shining started alot of staples of horror.

Ahhh i prefer the original Alien to Aliens but they are both great. Alien 3 (Which was David Fincher of Se7en fame directorial debut) was bad and hoenstly anything from that point on hasnt been great.
I think i was not in the right frame of mind seeing Exorcist like it was "omfg the exorcist this shits gonna be crazy" and then i was "oh was that all".

Its not a bad movie i just felt a bit let down..

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
In no particular order, these are the ones that i consider elite:

- Misery. Kathy Bates is absolutely abhorrent and plays the role perfectly. It's actually much more realistic than probably given credit for. Some serial killer offing people in the same area for decades and somehow being immune to capture - not believable. A psycho who murders infants and kidnaps a writer she happens to be obsessed with, that is actually remotely believable. The sledge hammer scene is excruciatig

- Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Just horror on a new scale. Like someone sat around and said 'what's the nastiest concept we can come up with.' well made, primal

- 28 Days and 28 Weeks Later I thought were both really really good. Zombie films done right.

- Wolf Creek - both movies. Just relentless depravity and misery.

- Jaws. Needs no explanation. Incredibly well made and written. The fact that they managed to make that boat feel like the most isolated place on the planet when in reality it was always within sight of land is incredibly powerful.

Aw 28 Days!!! Love those movies.
28 Weeks Later was superior, but that first scene of Days. Holy cow.. an empty London- was just chilling. Still waiting for 28 Months and Years Later...

Agree with Misery. Kathy Bates is the s**t. Such a versatile actor.
She's so good at comedy- Six Feet Under she is an absolute scream (while also being dramatic when needed).

Last edited:
tumblr_09c0b4108f3e850158ac70adecbb94c7_ad3dd53a_500.gif

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The first Horror I ever watched and remember was The Cars That Ate Paris.

The first Thriller I ever watched and remember was the excellent Fortress.

Both Aussie classics.

WireHawk

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The 1963 Robert Wise film 'The Haunting' is the scariest film I've
ever seen. Truly frightening. Nothing is seen. It's all done with
suggestion. Masterful.

'Hereditary' is the best horror film of the last 20 years or so in my
opinion. Genuinely unsettling and creepy.

Back