Favourite Thrillers and Horror movies

Remove this Banner Ad

Incest and a deformed, murderous family. It copped most flack due to the killing of an infant I think. Some of the movies mentioned are much worse but this was primetime TV in the mid-90s so was a bit much for the time.
Awesome. I will definitely look it up

I love the early Giallo's of Argento, Martino, Bava and Ercoli. They are generally bizarre, brutal, with wild plot twists and wonderful soundtracks.

My favourites are:
Tenebre
Opera
Deep Red
Cat o' Nine Tails
All The Colours Of The Dark
Death Walks In High Heels
Your Vice Is A Locked Door And Only I Have The Key
Strip Nude For Your Killer
What Have You Done To Solange?

There are more but I can't think of them at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a kid the nightmare on elm Street films were always a good scare, watched it with older cousins and brothers from about age of 6 or 7. Now they are just funny.

Silence of the lambs i still love, even the last scene in the dark gets me. I did watch it with the folks when it came out on video, was probably 10 or 11. What were they thinking?

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Stumbled across 'the collector' a few years back and was presently surprised, found it pretty good in a scary way.

When I watched it a 2nd time thought it was ordinary - so probably a good scary movie as it loses its appeal once you know what happens and Jo longer scary.

I love the early Giallo's of Argento, Martino, Bava and Ercoli. They are generally bizarre, brutal, with wild plot twists and wonderful soundtracks.

My favourites are:
Tenebre
Opera
Deep Red
Cat o' Nine Tails
All The Colours Of The Dark
Death Walks In High Heels
Your Vice Is A Locked Door And Only I Have The Key
Strip Nude For Your Killer
What Have You Done To Solange?

There are more but I can't think of them at the moment.

Bit of an eclectic list there, I'm assuming.

Will look them up.

As a kid the nightmare on elm Street films were always a good scare, watched it with older cousins and brothers from about age of 6 or 7. Now they are just funny.

Silence of the lambs i still love, even the last scene in the dark gets me. I did watch it with the folks when it came out on video, was probably 10 or 11. What were they thinking?

I think as you get older- subtlety in horror and thriller films >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> in your face gore/see everything.

Always shall be the stuff you cannot see on camera (thus making your imagination run wild) is much more terrifying.

I mean SOTL isnt that full on.

Violent scenes:
- girl is kidnapped; see nothing, hear what is happening from a long shot of the van
- Lecter escapes; yes see alot more, see him biting a mans nose off (dont see body parts tho).
- see a man threatening a woman down a well, again nothing violent.
- climax; Agent is hunted in the dark. No actual violence tho, except a man is shot several times.

And then other intense scenes, shots of dead skinned bodies, an autopsy.

Havent missed anything out there have I?

I remember The Poseidon Adventure scaring me the first time I saw it when I was a kid. And my parents sent me to bed before it had finished. So I had nightmares all night about them not getting out.

I remember The Poseidon Adventure scaring me the first time I saw it when I was a kid. And my parents sent me to bed before it had finished. So I had nightmares all night about them not getting out.

I loved that film as a kid, don't recall being scared by it but the scenes when the ship flips upside down and people get thrown around are full on.

Bit of an eclectic list there, I'm assuming.

Will look them up.
I'm not a big fan of streaming services, so I don't know if any of them available. If they aren't, a lot of them are getting released in "restored" versions on Blu-Ray in the UK. Most can't be found in Australia, and of the seventy or so Giallo's I own some aren't worth the cost of importing them, but if you can stomach the violence, the mysogyny and live with the lack of a cohesive plot then you may find them an enjoyable time waster.

One of the better Giallo's, Deep Red, has been available in Australia previously, it may still be available now. The bonus is the soundtrack was the first soundtrack from Italian Rockers, Goblin, who became the Morricone equivalent for the Italian Giallo's although Morricone did a number as well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back