Favourite TV Characters in a Comedy

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don't think that interview is awkward or hostile.

Garry Schandling probably had some truth to some of his jokes (like when he called Ricky Gervais oblivious when he wouldn't follow him outside), but nearly all of it looked like two funny people making light of each other.

The only part that seemed genuine was the very end when Garry thought they were done and he apologised for doing as well as he could, and Ricky looked a bit uncomfortable.

I actually don't think that interview is awkward or hostile.

Garry Schandling probably had some truth to some of his jokes (like when he called Ricky Gervais oblivious when he wouldn't follow him outside), but nearly all of it looked like two funny people making light of each other.

The only part that seemed genuine was the very end when Garry thought they were done and he apologised for doing as well as he could, and Ricky looked a bit uncomfortable.

I kept noticing the glint in Garrys eye every time Ricky would fire off another pre prepared question to ice the tension....but it would just give him more ammo

I'm kind of torn on my opinion of Gervais. On the one hand he's hilarious but on the other I get a sociopathic vibe from him.

Totally. Hilarious man but not sure would want to be around him a lot in real life.

I'll let you judge for yourself but Larry is WAY more down to earth than Ricky.

Ricky goes in all star struck but once Larry treats him as an equal Ricky reverts to form and tries to bond by comparing how annoying fans can be... Larry is like what? I love fans!

I would totally be friends with LD if I ever met him and he could tolerate my presence. Ricky not so much, but will always enjoy his entertainment.

I kept noticing the glint in Garrys eye every time Ricky would fire off another pre prepared question to ice the tension....but it would just give him more ammo
I didn't get past the pool part but it looked super awkward for the most part. If it was all scripted it becomes brilliant though. :drunk:
I would totally be friends with LD if I ever met him and he could tolerate my presence.
I've thought the same thing. I'm not sure who would get the shits with each other first.

It would probably be him with me though.

I didn't get past the pool part but it looked super awkward for the most part. If it was all scripted it becomes brilliant though. :drunk:

I've thought the same thing. I'm not sure who would get the shits with each other first.

It would probably be him with me though.

I think I have said before; I hope I am like LD when I am his age

Thoughts on Sascha Baron Cohen?

for me those early Ali g series were all time, right in my sweet spot for funny, the English local humour, Cohen so quick witted and sharp, able to coax the worst out of his interviewees...

But i think hes gone off the rails, just trying to be as coarse and shock as much as he can.. hows some of the early live interviews, must have had the directors finger over the mute button, so awkward sometimes..

Ali g is a favourite show of mine and i loved borat. I actually think bruno was underrated

Since then everything he's has been puerile and poorly acted.

Thoughts on Sascha Baron Cohen?

for me those early Ali g series were all time, right in my sweet spot for funny, the English local humour, Cohen so quick witted and sharp, able to coax the worst out of his interviewees...

But i think hes gone off the rails, just trying to be as coarse and shock as much as he can.. hows some of the early live interviews, must have had the directors finger over the mute button, so awkward sometimes..

Ali G's early stuff was so good (before people fully realised he was compeletely fabricated). In particular his interview with the Beckams and the interview with the animal rights people.

Some trivia: Baron-Cohen's cousin is a world expert on autism so clearly a clever guy much like Sascha.

Ali G's early stuff was so good (before people fully realised he was compeletely fabricated). In particular his interview with the Beckams and the interview with the animal rights people.

Some trivia: Baron-Cohen's cousin is a world expert on autism so clearly a clever guy much like Sascha.

Funny when people clicked he was Jewish they began going back to find the times he was anti Islam, in truth he was just poking fun out of anything or anyone that deserved it

My favorite Ali G line is so stupid, I'm not even sure how many people geddit, but when he went to NASA to see Buzz Aldrin, he goes I is ere at Cape Canaveral, which is almost as good as the Notting Hill Canaveral even though they got less brothers.

I'm on the floor every time!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Wow.
I did a search a few weeks ago and it didn't look hopeful.
LD was spending all his time on his Broadway show (which actually looks really good, very Curb like)

did you ever watch clear history?

thoughts?

I wonder if this season he will kill himself off at the end - and at the funeral everyoner will be like, you know what? he really was an a-hole

It looks like a new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm might finally be on the way, with Larry David teasing HBO with a notebook full of ideas for it.
HBO president Michael Lombardo recalled how David discussed the show with him at the premiere of his new Broadway play Fish in the Dark a few months back.
"[He told me,] 'Do you know what this is? This is the next season notebook'," he said at the TCA press tour.
It seems after spending time on Broadway David might be ready to return to TV, and there are certainly plenty of foibles in 2015 culture for him to send-up.
"I don't think it's out of his system," Lombardo added. "When he has something to say, he will come back.
"I certainly see this as a continuing dialogue with him - a long one, but a continuing one."
David has said he isn't done with Curb before. Last year Lombardo asked him if he should "emotionally get Curb out of [his] head," to which the Seinfeld creator replied: "No, no, no, no, no."

Curb Your Enthusiasm last aired an original episode in September 2011, and the nearly five-year gap since has seen neither HBO nor David ready to publicly dismiss the idea of revisiting the show. On the network end, former programming president Michael Lombardo had said he was "cautiously optimistic" about more Curb — while David, in keeping with his schtick, often appeared less than optimistic in the many instances he's been pressed about the subject.

On his decision to revisit his alter ego, David had this to say: “In the immortal words of Julius Caesar, ‘I left, I did nothing, I returned.’”

To say he's done nothing might be a bit melodramatic. David has been hard to miss in the last year, parodying Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders on Saturday Night Live, hosting the show and most recently sitting down on NBC variety hour Maya and Marty for an interview with Martin Short character Jiminy Glick.

It's the first big move for newly minted programming chief Casey Bloys, who assumed creative reins at HBO just a month ago. He shared the news during a sit-down at the Banff World Media Festival. In a statement, he said, “We’re thrilled that Larry has decided to do a new season of Curb and can’t wait to see what he has planned."

Curb, starring David as an exaggerated version of himself, has skewered Hollywood and, more often, David since it premiered as a special in 1999. A total of 80 episodes have aired since, the biggest breaks between seasons taking place between the third and fourth and seventh and eighth runs.

David has not strayed from HBO. His biggest effort since the last season of Curb was the 2013 HBO Film Clear History, which he starred in and wrote.

But it's a welcome bit of good news for HBO. The network, which has seen its executive shuffle happen amid a string of mediocre launches, has only a handful of new series premiering in 2016 — though its new slate is comedy-heavy. Sarah Jessica Parker starrer Divorce, web adaptation High Maintenance and Issa Rae's Insecure are all on deck for the year, with Danny McBride's Vice Principals next up in July.

Over its long, unconventional run, Curb has earned 39 Emmy nominations but only two wins (for directing and editing). The most recent season was one of its most popular, pulling in more than 2 million live viewers to an episode.

did you ever watch clear history?

thoughts?

I wonder if this season he will kill himself off at the end - and at the funeral everyoner will be like, you know what? he really was an a-hole

Never heard of Clear history. Now added to the must watch list, thanks!

Larry's funeral would be a fitting end. Though he has already died once. Remember when he went to heaven and had a full head of hair?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back