Favourite win from each season

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my mates posted this question on a group chat, but I think this would make a good discussion. Favourite AFL game from each season since 2000. For me;

2001-2003: Obvious.
2004: v Crows (h). 141 point win was the biggest win in our history, more than tripled and nearly quadrupled the Crows score and Michael Rischitelli made his debut, kicked two goals and didn't play another game that season.
2005: v Collingwood (h). Kept the old enemy goalless in the first half, took the foot off the pedal in the second half but it is always good to get a big win over the scum.
2006: v Port Adelaide (a). Big win over that inbred lot, first win over them since they denied us four-in-a-row.
2007: v Collingwood (a). Completely unexpected win against the old enemy, smacking them by 93 points from nowhere. Our win over the Eagles at Subiaco Oval when we were 11/1 odds to win was also a worthy mention as well.
2008: v Collingwood (h). First match against the old enemy I got to go to (back in those days I was still a kid and only got to go to 1-2 games a year), three goals down midway in the last quarter and out of legs after a Perth trip the week before we find a way to score three unanswered goals against the old enemy and win. Sad though that was our last win against them in our proper jumper.
2009: v Carlton (EF). First finals match in five years, five goals down in the last quarter, seemed all over then we pull an amazing comeback out of nowhere.
2010: v Collingwood (h). Down for most of the game we find a way to get the lead then Brendan Fevola kicks an amazing sealer.
2011: v Port Adelaide (h). Any win over those inbreds is a good win.
2012: v Eagles (h). Eagles at the time flying on top of the ladder, I honestly gave us no chance to win then Polkinghorne kicks a massive goal from outside 50 about 35 minutes into the last quarter to put us in front and send the crowd into pandemonium.
2013: v Essendon (a). First time we were playing in our proper jumper since that disgraceful paddle pop jumper rebrand, worn in commemoration of our threepeat team. Playing a Dons team away and who were second on the ladder at the time and probably still roided. Game was tight we kept ourselves in it, a performance fitting of representing the threepeat team, find ourselves less than a goal up with a minute to go and Brent Staker kicks the sealer. IMO this is easily the best regular season win in the history of our club. I didn't fly down for this game and it is the regret of not being at this game that has made me travel for a lot of away games since.
2014: Collingwood (a). My first time at the MCG, we were still at the time fighting to avoid the wooden spoon and were thumped by over 100 points at home the week before, while the scum were fighting for a finals spot. We pull off a completely unexpected thrashing of the old enemy. Sadly this is the last win against them we have had since.
2015: Bulldogs (h). Dead last on the ladder on the final round of the regular season and the Dogs are finals bound. Dogs have a massive quarter time lead and the game seems over, yet we show we are a proud non-tanking club by fighting our way back into the game, find a way to be in front when the siren goes, get off the bottom of the ladder and avoid the unwanted wooden spoon.
2016: Essendon (a). We were so bad that season and were very lucky to avoid the spoon. We were bad to the point we had a three month losing streak and I thought we were going to lose to a top-up Essendon team. Winning that game was more relief than anything.
2017: Essendon (a). Only season I attended all 22 games. This was the only interstate win we had that season. Was a pretty good win considering we were down for most of the game and without our captain at the time.
2018: Hawthorn (h). Winless after 8 rounds it was a relief to get our first win on the board and get off the bottom of the ladder.
2019: Port Adelaide (a). Fourth away game I attended against those inbreds (anyone who has ever done an away game against them would know how feral those fans are) and to finally see us get an away win against them and seeing those inbreds leave early in pure misery was immensely satisfying on so many levels. Our round 3 meeting against them is also worthy of a mention as it was our first win over a rival club in 4 years, and our round 1 thrashing against the Eagles was so unexpected so that is also worthy of an honourable mention.

My personal favourite game that I actually attended (I missed the three peat years) was the miracle on grass. It edged out the 2009 final win.

From devastated to elated in an hour and loved that Ash McGrath, who is such an understated guy, got that last goal. What a wonderful memory for him.

Great effort going to all of the games in 2017. Wow.

2000. I'm going to go one here you wouldn't expect, a game we lost. I still remember Round 16 vs Carlton, Lance Whitnall kicked 9 goals and Koutoufidies absolutely tore us up. At half time we were down by 60+ but kicked 11 straight in the 3rd quarter. Carlton kicked away and won by about 40 in the end but i just remember the wild ride that day. Voss kicked a 70m goal (post height) in a home game against Collingwood, too.

2001. The "If it bleeds we can kill it" game. Jeez, how unstoppable Essendon were at this point? The game itself was a slog but we kept them to 2 goals in the first half, just remember the atmosphere being incredible. I think i made my BF account the week of that game. No doubt in my mind the dynasty started on this night.

2013. Miracle on grass. I actually went to this game alone because my usual mate couldn't come and we were going that badly I couldn't give the other ticket away. 24K felt like 90K in that last quarter.

2015. I remember that 2015 game you mention, high scoring game, Adcock's last game, underrated captain for the club who put the hard yards in through our darkest times. I would actually say though that my favourite from 2015 was the win against Port. Port were fancied as a flag hope at the time of the game, Leppitsch pulled off maybe his best moment as coach and we beat them in a Sunday twilight game. Kingy did a big expose on the tactics we used (can't remember them) and Port's form dropped off after the other teams all copied the same system.

2016. That 2016 win is underrated a bit in hindsight because Essendon dropped off after we beat them, but at the time we were paying over 10-1 to beat them which is the biggest odds I've ever seen for a winner in an AFL game apart from when Gold Coast surprised Sydney at the SCG a year or two back. Came after losing 12 in a row though.

2018. Going to go the other win against Hawthorn, the away win. Lost a few games between then and the end of the year but that to me was when the current team really arrived.

Great post.

Last edited:

Great effort going to all of the games in 2017. Wow.
Picked the worst possible year to do all 22, still bitter the Dees lost to Norf twice that year. I think I was literally the only Lions fan who travelled for that game against the Eagles that year.

2015. I remember that 2015 game you mention, high scoring game, Adcock's last game, underrated captain for the club who put the hard yards in through our darkest times. I would actually say though that my favourite from 2015 was the win against Port. Port were fancied as a flag hope at the time of the game, Leppitsch pulled off maybe his best moment as coach and we beat them in a Sunday twilight game. Kingy did a big expose on the tactics we used (can't remember them) and Port's form dropped off after the other teams all copied the same system.
That win against the inbreds was a very close second but getting off the bottom of the ladder on the final round of the regular season and showing to the AFL that even though we were going though a s**t time, we are still a proud club.

2018. Going to go the other win against Hawthorn, the away win. Lost a few games between then and the end of the year but that to me was when the current team really arrived.

Great post.
I attended 7 out of 10 interstate away games that season, guess which two I missed?

I'll have a crack at ____ list when I get the chance, but this would be my favourite win of the 07 season. Jared Brennan killed West Coast that night too. I was at that game and was made even more special by the fact that we wore a Fitzroy jumper in that Heritage round (WCE were wearing the WA State jumper):

Its a shame that Heritage Round fell away, always enjoyed seeing club's running around in jumpers of yesteryear.

I'll have a crack at @____ list when I get the chance, but this would be my favourite win of the 07 season. Jared Brennan killed West Coast that night too. I was at that game and was made even more special by the fact that we wore a Fitzroy jumper in that Heritage round (WCE were wearing the WA State jumper)
It sticks in my mind because of the impact of Wayde Mills, of all people, had an impact out of CHF by marking the ball a handful of times and giving it off immediately to players running past... and West Coast just never seemed to catch on that he simply couldn't hit a target to save himself by foot.

On a related note Will Hamill is not a name I recalled at all until right now.

It sticks in my mind because of the impact of Wayde Mills, of all people, had an impact out of CHF by marking the ball a handful of times and giving it off immediately to players running past... and West Coast just never seemed to catch on that he simply couldn't hit a target to save himself by foot.

On a related note Will Hamill is not a name I recalled at all until right now.
What I have enjoyed over the past month when watching random Lions games Fox telecast prior to that top 50 and other YouTube games, particularly those four Lions v Collingwood games I posted in the other thread (I ended up watching two of those games in their entirety) are the lesser light players that represented the club over the years who maybe played less than 20 games etc.

IIRC, Will Hamill came off the rookie list that year (it may have been his third year on the rookie list) and played a handful of games that year, never to be seen of again.

As for Wayde Mills; his kicking was atrocious, but he was strong as an ox, a lot like Shannon Hurn really, although just not the skill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished watching the 2009 elimination final win of Carlton. What struck me the most was how poor the bottom half of the team was at that point. Perhaps more correctly how poor they turned out to be as their careers progressed (or didn't).

From the top of course we had four genuine stars of the game in:
Brown, Black, Bradshaw and Power

Then a collection of pretty handy players who would probably make most sides during the peak of their careers:
Merrett, McGrath, Patfull, Johnstone, Brennan, Clarke and Rischatelli

Throw in a couple of kids who have gone on to be very good players in:
Rich and Redden.

Then it just gets (with all due respect) pretty horrible:
Roe, Austin, Stiller, Sheldon ,Hawksley, Harding, Hooper, Polkinghorne, Sherman

I guess when comparing to our finals team last year we just need to hope that the likes of Berry, Lyons, Rayner, McStay, Gardiner, Witherden, Answerth, Adams, McCarthy, AhChee, Starc and others turn out to much better players than that last bunch I listed. I certainly think they will/ are.

Just finished watching the 2009 elimination final win of Carlton. What struck me the most was how poor the bottom half of the team was at that point. Perhaps more correctly how poor they turned out to be as their careers progressed (or didn't).

From the top of course we had four genuine stars of the game in:
Brown, Black, Bradshaw and Power

Then a collection of pretty handy players who would probably make most sides during the peak of their careers:
Merrett, McGrath, Patfull, Johnstone, Brennan, Clarke and Rischatelli

Throw in a couple of kids who have gone on to be very good players in:
Rich and Redden.

Then it just gets (with all due respect) pretty horrible:
Roe, Austin, Stiller, Sheldon ,Hawksley, Harding, Hooper, Polkinghorne, Sherman

I guess when comparing to our finals team last year we just need to hope that the likes of Berry, Lyons, Rayner, McStay, Gardiner, Witherden, Answerth, Adams, McCarthy, AhChee, Starc and others turn out to much better players than that last bunch I listed. I certainly think they will/ are.
I watched that game the other night too.

I was also at that game too having lived in Brisbane for work in the 09 and 10 seasons. The 09 season was an absolute joy and the Gabba was heaving that night. It was interesting re-watching that game and looking at our bottom third of players selected that night.I wouldn't agree with throwing in Sherman, Stiller and Polkinghorne and to a lesser extent Hawksley either. As divisive as he was Sherman could play. Sure a lot if people thought he was a dick in much the same way as Aka was, but he was far from horrible and he was good that night. Its amazing to think the likes of Sheldon, Harding and Austin got a game that night, but those Lions sides throughout the mid to late 2000's and for a lot of the early to mid 2010's were punctuated with guys you'd look back on and think how on earth would they get games.

Harding always showed glimpses and had the odd good guy, but wasn't up to; Austin was a toiler who like Harding, had the odd good game but looked out of his depth and as for Sheldon, I'm with 3KZ is Football there, I just never got it. He stunk it up big time in that game and got crunched a couple of times and was way out of his depth in the clutches of a red hot finals game. I liked Hawksley too and don't think Voss gave him the opportunities he deserved and this game he showed how solid he was. Hooper should and could have been as good as Cyril Rioli if he'd only applied himself. I don't think there were any tools missing that Rioli didn't have and he demonstrated that in a few games, but he was largely missed that game.

Good old Jason Roe certainly had his detractors, me not being one. Perhaps my bias came through as I got to know Jason reasonably well in those years up in Brisbane when I used to spend a fair bit of time with Max Kennedy, but I genuinely thought he was a pretty dour KPD that like Dan Merrett was prone to the odd brain fart and usually at a real inopportune time.

As for some of the other guys, Mitch Clark for a couple of years there, particularly between 09-11 was an out and out star of not only Brisbane, but the competition. It was a real shame he left the club because his career literally went to s**t as a result and when he was at his prime. Travis Johnstone was another that had many detractors, with Voss being one I thought, particularly in 2010, but I always liked him. Sure he was a bit inconsistent, but he seemed to get singled out for his inconsistency more than most I thought.

The last player I'll mention is Jared Brennan. Probably like everyone, I loved watching Jared play, just that we wanted more of it. Like Rhan Hooper, Brennan really should have become one of the game's best. He had it all and probably had more tools in the kit bag that just about anyone, but just didn't apply it. Perhaps that is why so many were frustrated with him. Even in that final, he did it all. He was second ruck to Mitch Clark, had stints as what a real "ruck-rover" (that term has practically diminished from the game) was, played forward, back in both key roles and on the flanks / pockets and also on the wing. Just such a shame that we only ever saw his brilliance in patches (who could ever forget his first game against Collingwood on Easter Thursday on the national stage).

Anyway, as for that game, like a lot of games Fox has played in recent months, I have really enjoyed these trips down memory lane seeing our champions, lesser lights, could have beens, one game wonders and everyone else in between at the Lions. One criticism I do have of Fox, is that we have seen a few Fitzroy games but nothing from the Bears ere, particularly in 95 and 96 when they were such a joy to watch full of future Lions champions.

I was also at that game too having lived in Brisbane for work in the 09 and 10 seasons. The 09 season was an absolute joy and the Gabba was heaving that night. It was interesting re-watching that game and looking at our bottom third of players selected that night.I wouldn't agree with throwing in Sherman, Stiller and Polkinghorne and to a lesser extent Hawksley either. As divisive as he was Sherman could play. Sure a lot if people thought he was a dick in much the same way as Aka was, but he was far from horrible and he was good that night. Its amazing to think the likes of Sheldon, Harding and Austin got a game that night, but those Lions sides throughout the mid to late 2000's and for a lot of the early to mid 2010's were punctuated with guys you'd look back on and think how on earth would they get games.

Harding always showed glimpses and had the odd good guy, but wasn't up to; Austin was a toiler who like Harding, had the odd good game but looked out of his depth and as for Sheldon, I'm with 3KZ is Football there, I just never got it. He stunk it up big time in that game and got crunched a couple of times and was way out of his depth in the clutches of a red hot finals game. I liked Hawksley too and don't think Voss gave him the opportunities he deserved and this game he showed how solid he was. Hooper should and could have been as good as Cyril Rioli if he'd only applied himself. I don't think there were any tools missing that Rioli didn't have and he demonstrated that in a few games, but he was largely missed that game.

Good old Jason Roe certainly had his detractors, me not being one. Perhaps my bias came through as I got to know Jason reasonably well in those years up in Brisbane when I used to spend a fair bit of time with Max Kennedy, but I genuinely thought he was a pretty dour KPD that like Dan Merrett was prone to the odd brain fart and usually at a real inopportune time.

As for some of the other guys, Mitch Clark for a couple of years there, particularly between 09-11 was an out and out star of not only Brisbane, but the competition. It was a real shame he left the club because his career literally went to s**t as a result and when he was at his prime. Travis Johnstone was another that had many detractors, with Voss being one I thought, particularly in 2010, but I always liked him. Sure he was a bit inconsistent, but he seemed to get singled out for his inconsistency more than most I thought.

The last player I'll mention is Jared Brennan. Probably like everyone, I loved watching Jared play, just that we wanted more of it. Like Rhan Hooper, Brennan really should have become one of the game's best. He had it all and probably had more tools in the kit bag that just about anyone, but just didn't apply it. Perhaps that is why so many were frustrated with him. Even in that final, he did it all. He was second ruck to Mitch Clark, had stints as what a real "ruck-rover" (that term has practically diminished from the game) was, played forward, back in both key roles and on the flanks / pockets and also on the wing. Just such a shame that we only ever saw his brilliance in patches (who could ever forget his first game against Collingwood on Easter Thursday on the national stage).

Anyway, as for that game, like a lot of games Fox has played in recent months, I have really enjoyed these trips down memory lane seeing our champions, lesser lights, could have beens, one game wonders and everyone else in between at the Lions. One criticism I do have of Fox, is that we have seen a few Fitzroy games but nothing from the Bears ere, particularly in 95 and 96 when they were such a joy to watch full of future Lions champions.
As ever. 100% spot on.

Yeah I was at the game as well and remember screaming so loud and almost blacking out when Bradshaw nailed that snap late in the game. We sat behind the Carlton fans/ cheer squad at one end of the ground and had been involved in quite a bit of banter (let's call it that) throughout the game. Was a crazy night.

Pretty good assesment of those players too Dylan.

Yeah I was at the game as well and remember screaming so loud and almost blacking out when Bradshaw nailed that snap late in the game. We sat behind the Carlton fans/ cheer squad at one end of the ground and had been involved in quite a bit of banter (let's call it that) throughout the game. Was a crazy night.

Pretty good assesment of those players too Dylan.
I remember seeing stars on a couple of occasions that night.
If there was a roof on the Gabba, it would have been gone.

2001-2003 GF's speak for themselves

The Miracle on Grass is fabulous, as were a few other of our comeback wins over the years. The resurrection from 45 points down at 3/4 time in 1995 against the Hawks (when we were the Bears) still holds a special place in my heart.

But for sheer importance of a win outside of the Premierships, I can't go past the exhilaration of 2009 EF against the Blues.

Just so many inspirational and heroic moments.

Black, Bradshaw and Brown were monumental that night.

FWIW, I thought Sherman also played a superb game and Hawksley also did a few really nice things.

I felt for Hawksley over his time with the Lions. I got the impression that Voss marked him very hard . He seemed to be almost always the first to be dropped after a loss, even if he played well.

Last edited:
Round 10 2012 against West Coast James Polkinghorne kicked the winning goal From the centre square. The last quarter was about 40 minutes long that game.

The best win last year was 'the big ride'. But lowkey, I loved the win against North at the Gabba. Even though it was a contentious free to oscar - it was a really gritty, tense win. Richys 200th too.

Completely disregarding the text of this thread, but I would like to emphasise how much I enjoyed round 17, 1993, against Richmond. I was six at the time. We were going out that day, but picked up Grandma first and that was key to the entire operation. See, she had a VCR and I was able to set it up to record the game.

And then, when we got back to her place afterwards, I was astonished to discover the Bears had won. And, more importantly - I had a recording of it - a recording I could watch again and again whenever I wanted (as long as I was at Grandma's place). That was excellent.

2013: v Essendon (a). First time we were playing in our proper jumper since that disgraceful paddle pop jumper rebrand, worn in commemoration of our threepeat team. Playing a Dons team away and who were second on the ladder at the time and probably still roided. Game was tight we kept ourselves in it, a performance fitting of representing the threepeat team, find ourselves less than a goal up with a minute to go and Brent Staker kicks the sealer. IMO this is easily the best regular season win in the history of our club. I didn't fly down for this game and it is the regret of not being at this game that has made me travel for a lot of away games since.
I went to this one and can definitely agree with that. I vividly remember finishing my school game in the morning and then driving in with dad. On Triple M we were getting severely disrespected and given no chance to win (and rightly so to be fair). It was a fiery game, a few reports from memory (maybe Clarke and Merrett? Or just one of them?) and the ferrals were going ape s**t. It was goal for goal all day long and there was an incredible amount of lead changes.

In terms of a regular season game, it was definitely a finals like atmosphere. Probably the loudest and most emotional crowd I've been in at a game (especially considering it was in the dome), they were up and about at 6-1 I think and we were probably 1-6. Will never forget that one.

Mitch Clark 2009 was utterly phenomenal. Nobody seems to remember that. We had so many ruck injuries and he just had an outstanding year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back