Fear of Losing

Remove this Banner Ad

The s**t I don't understand is this.. we make the 8.. we're a chance.. nothing to fear.. go out and play our game.

And another thing that shits me is this.. how relevant is round 1 and 2.. 10 rounds later? How the hell is that relevant to that 'oh but we haven't beaten teams in the 8' argument.

If you're gonna use this whole 'well they have beaten sides in the top 8' argument.. well let's rate the top 8 sides and how they've performed against sides outside the 8.

Current form suggests we're as good as any other side in the comp. F what happened 12 weeks ago. 6 weeks ago.

We look at our deficiencies and yes we do have a couple. But bloody sure as hell.. other top sides have em as well.

I see a side that can win a premiership.. why bloody not. I look at Richmond Sydney and WC.. and I want em.

In conclusion.. in the here and now.. we can take any one on.
I always think we can win, got it right in 1990 and again 2010.

The s**t I don't understand is this.. we make the 8.. we're a chance.. nothing to fear.. go out and play our game.

And another thing that shits me is this.. how relevant is round 1 and 2.. 10 rounds later? How the hell is that relevant to that 'oh but we haven't beaten teams in the 8' argument.

If you're gonna use this whole 'well they have beaten sides in the top 8' argument.. well let's rate the top 8 sides and how they've performed against sides outside the 8.

Current form suggests we're as good as any other side in the comp. F what happened 12 weeks ago. 6 weeks ago.

We look at our deficiencies and yes we do have a couple. But bloody sure as hell.. other top sides have em as well.

I see a side that can win a premiership.. why bloody not. I look at Richmond Sydney and WC.. and I want em.

In conclusion.. in the here and now.. we can take any one on.

Yeah re! Don't see how some under rate the potential this list has........... perplexing for mine.

Surely, surely even this pain is better than being Melb, Richmond, Dogs and Saints that have not contended for years and decades on end.
Agree.
Sure, we've lost our share of Grand Finals - I'd rather that than not get there.
On the day there's 16 other teams and their supporters wishing they were there.

This is a very interesting point! For mine I'd rather that we've played 43 grand finals for only 15 wins and 2 draws rather than float mid table for comfort.

I've seen us in 10 attempts with my own eyes since 77 when I was parochial 7 yo pie for only 2 wins and a 2 draws.

Surely, surely even this pain is better than being Melb, Richmond, Dogs and Saints that have not contended for years and decades on end.

I'd rather us contending than having no hope of winning it. I like that we have hope again instead of being in the dark and not respected by the competition.
I agree, but I have argued fiercely with my Richmond loving brother in law that there is a chasm between genuine heartbreak and the frustration, boredom and anger which a supporter feels when his/her team is meandering with no likelihood of contending over a long period of time. I do want to dream and be in the mix, but I have seen us lose or draw eleven grand finals in my time and countless prelims and semis most of which we were in a winning position deep into the game. That stretch from 77 to 81 was soul destroying. AS far as I'm concerned, "the long suffering Tiger fan" actually has no idea what suffering is. Try having one hand on the premiership cup on multiple occasions only to have your dreams shattered with a poor umpiring decision or a wicked bounce of the ball. Frustration is not in the same hemisphere.

I agree, but I have argued fiercely with my Richmond loving brother in law that there is a chasm between genuine heartbreak and the frustration, boredom and anger which a supporter feels when his/her team is meandering with no likelihood of contending over a long period of time. I do want to dream and be in the mix, but I have seen us lose or draw eleven grand finals in my time and countless prelims and semis most of which we were in a winning position deep into the game. That stretch from 77 to 81 was soul destroying. AS far as I'm concerned, "the long suffering Tiger fan" actually has no idea what suffering is. Try having one hand on the premiership cup on multiple occasions only to have your dreams shattered with a poor umpiring decision or a wicked bounce of the ball. Frustration is not in the same hemisphere.

While I agree that there is an almost tangible difference, I'd still prefer the heartache we've had than not. Purely because if we're in it we can win it - at least then there is hope.

There's been no hope in the past few years since 2012, at least now there is a hope - a real one! If we make it this year or the next or after and not win it at least there was hope. Still better than years 2013 to last year.

You’re one cool cucumber there Robroy22

You’re watching the Tattslotto draw. You’ve got 5 numbers matched and the sixth is about to drop. Does your pulse go above 60?

Not a player, but about the only time my heart rate goes up is when there are genuine consequences. Facing a rogue 10' set at Winki or losing a board at Two Mile....then I'm worried! Watching my wife give birth or seeing my kids or grandkids hurt or ill, THEN I'm worried. Seeing MY footy team lose doesn't bother me one iota. I don't recall ever watching the Pies and thinking "They didn't try" so thats all I need. Like the 10' wave...I can't control it from the carpark! So it doesn't bother me. If I'm about to get hit by it...then I'm getting a little stressed!

I'm agreeable to the O.P ive now convinced myself we need 14 - 15 wins to male finals this year. Next two should win.

Uncertain about every other game after that except maybe the Lions at home and hopefully Freos wheels have completly fallen off by Rd 22.

Stressful time of year after 2015 (?)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is a very interesting point! For mine I'd rather that we've played 43 grand finals for only 15 wins and 2 draws rather than float mid table for comfort.

I've seen us in 10 attempts with my own eyes since 77 when I was parochial 7 yo pie for only 2 wins and a 2 draws.

I'd rather us contending than having no hope of winning it. I like that we have hope again instead of being in the dark and not respected by the competition.

I embrace the pain...obviously. I have been doing for my whole life.
The pain is insignificant when weighed against the joy of 90 and 10 , but always there, reminding my that there are ledgers to be squared, filth to be removed and mountain to be climbed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back