Feb 2016 and today

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you guys think we compare list wise?

I was asked this exact question during the week and thought that just on football talent it was probably a nil all draw. We lost some talent no doubt but we clearly have brought some in as well. Plus the big Rough is back too.

The big upside is the list refresh around our ball winners which is a shrewd move by the club.

2016 list v 2017 list? Who wins?

On the surface we look stronger now that Rough is back and we can expect natural improvement from Burton, Sicily, Lovell etc. But this is also dependent on JOM getting back to his best and Mitchell getting over all his current niggles showing the form on last years finals.

We were only a straight kick away from the PF last year without Rough, so one would think we are still in contention.

Comparisons, though, are extremely difficult. Would Lewis and Sam ever perform to their usual best? Would JOM and Tom perform well enough to replace them? Can't say, but it looks good on paper. But we really do need a break out from one of the kids.

This time last year we didn't know Roughy would miss the entire season, only the first 8 weeks with a pcl. Add him to the team reduces the pressure Gunston was under, increases the contested ball winning capabilities of the midfield and adds 25+ goals to our overall scoring.

This time last year we didn't know Roughy would miss the entire season, only the first 8 weeks with a pcl.

Very true. He just feels like a new recruit this year.

To add to that, our 2016 list was the reigning champs so it was coming off a good base.

Better balanced list this year and better depth. I dont think the result this year will be too different to last year though. Dont reckon we are much chop but that comparison is to our old selves who played in 4 GFs. Other sides have more emerging talent again.

If we're not playing hypothetical 'if we had Roughie' - then 2017 by far by his inclusion alone. Our lack of scoreboard pressure last year was infuriating at times.

Feb 16 we were done. Feb 17 we've reloaded for another crack

I don't think you can say we were done when we nearly managed to get into a home Prelim despite Rough not playing a minute for 2016. Had Rough had been healthy last season we still may have played off in the Big one.

I feel more confident in the forwards and defensive halves. The midfield is still an unknown whether it will gell.

I reckon the boys this time last year were probably lacking the hunger and throughout the season you could see how tired they were.
This season theyre back to being the hunters for the first time in 5 years, probably a little rejuvenated with the weight of expectation backed off a bit plus a few new big pieces to freshen them up a bit.

Not expecting a flag but i think this season we may actually win a game by at least 5 points, hell maybe even a few goals.

A quick scan of our list, and doing my best to be objective, there isn't really any player that we shouldn't expect to be at least as good as they were in 2016. The only old players on our list that weren't confirmed to have been playing injured were the two that are now at other clubs (and maybe Gibson?). A lot of our youth are hitting that period of their career where we should be starting to see big leaps in their ability. We've lost quite a bit of talent but also brought in quite a lot, and that talent was handpicked to address identified holes in our list from 2016. The net change is well into the positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you can say we were done when we nearly managed to get into a home Prelim despite Rough not playing a minute for 2016. Had Rough had been healthy last season we still may have played off in the Big one.
Yeah "done" is harsh but as well as we competed last year I didn't see us wining it. In contrast with the preceding four, when we held the ascendancy in games last year we could not apply score board pressure. Having said that our ability to conjure opportunities at the death remains the best in the comp. Even after Issac's miss I could not but marvel at the ball movement that created his chance. If last year was a lost opportunity, we would have declined this year but for the injection of fresh talent that leaves me quietly confident of further success.

Yeah "done" is harsh but as well as we competed last year I didn't see us wining it. In contrast with the preceding four, when we held the ascendancy in games last year we could not apply score board pressure. Having said that our ability to conjure opportunities at the death remains the best in the comp. Even after Issac's miss I could not but marvel at the ball movement that created his chance. If last year was a lost opportunity, we would have declined this year but for the injection of fresh talent that leaves me quietly confident of further success.

Don't disagree with anything you have said here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back