Fed Cup 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

glad i went to bed, didnt see us winning anyway. So do we drop to world group 3 now
We play a playoff against a group III team. They are

Great Britain(god no), Canada(easy), Kazakistan (not that easy) or Serbia(should win). If we lose this playoff, then we go to World Group III, which is regional(Asian) playoffs.

they played the old Nazi anthem 1st verse. oh America. sounds like the current version, by the lyrics were a bit different.

Last edited:
Schmieds is playing, Schmieds is playing!!!!!!!!!!!

you are going down Errani.

Wonder if 7 will delay the telecast or take us straight to live action. bit annoying.

Delayed. Very annoying. Why would you delay it until 10.30 at night? Surely you'll get more viewers earlier! I for one would prefer not to have to stay up until all hours to watch it.

Well we lost :thumbsdown:

Stubbs is teeing off on Dasha, saying she let her emotions get the better of her and more is expected of her as Australia's number one player. Bit unfair maybe. Why not criticise Stosur for not playing? Although Dasha would benefit from keeping her cool a bit more, smashed a racquet and got a code violation for it which is not good.

What do people think, would we have had a better chance had Stosur played? Personally I think Barty played quite well and she would have been the one pushed out of the singles had Stosur played. Not sure how Stosur would match up against the two Ukrainian players either (am hopeless at that stuff but know some of you on here are good at assessing match ups etc. :) ).

What do people think, would we have had a better chance had Stosur played? Personally I think Barty played quite well and she would have been the one pushed out of the singles had Stosur played. Not sure how Stosur would match up against the two Ukrainian players either (am hopeless at that stuff but know some of you on here are good at assessing match ups etc. :) ).
Nope.

None of our players would have beaten Svitolina and after that Tsurenko only needs one rubber. In that form, she would certainly do so.

We just aren't on Ukraine's level. It's unfortunate we played them in this setting because they're top tier WG quality.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we lost the tie in the Dashas first match. we all thought that we had to win 2 matches of Tsurenko. She didnt play well then. it was disappointing but not the end of the world.

watched a bit of the Kiki, Timea match. what a great atmosphere. Timea took an MTO and i dont think Kiki was really happy about it. Kiki really doesnt mince her words. the Swiss won 3-1.

in other matches, i dont think anyone can complain about Australian crowds after hearing match point in Belarus. they guy celebrating at the end is the president of Belarus. they get to host the Swiss. you cant see the Swiss losing that unless Azarenka somehow comes back(unlikely)

In the other semi final is the US are hosting the champions, The Czech Republic. The Czechs havent lost at home since 2009, have won 10 ties straight. they are one of the great Fed Cup teams. The US will be up against it but every team are when they are facing the Czechs.

and sadly, Schmieds was replaced by Hantuchova, who won easily. disgraceful.

Who do we play next?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
draw is done on tuesday i think.

We play either GB, Canada, Serbia or Borat(sorry, Kazakhstan)

GB would have Konta, Waston, Robson or perhaps Brady.
Canada could have(but probably wont) Bouchard, Wozinak and nothing.
Serbia could have(but probably wont) Jankovic. next best is probably Krunic.
Kazakhstan have Putinseva and Shvedova.

Last edited:
draw is done on tuesday i think.

We play either GB, Canada, Serbia or Borat(sorry, Kazakhstan)

GB would have Konta, Waston, Robson or perhaps Brady.
Canada could have(but probably wont) Bouchard, Wozinak and nothing.
Serbia could have(but probably wont) Jankovic. next best is probably Krunic.
Kazakhstan have Putinseva and Shvedova.
opps, I stuffed up. Replace Canada with Taiwan(Republic of China or "Chinese Taipei")

no one of real note for them anyway. might have a good doubles partnership but that is about it. draw is tonight 10am GMT (9pm)

You think if we got a European team, we would play that in Europe? but doing so against the Brits would almost be a forfeit. only way we will beat them is if we play them down here(try and get rid of Konta from the start), on Clay with Stosur. konta is not great on clay still, i would favor Stosur to beat both brits.

playing the Brits at home with Konta would make it very tough.

This was done before, but i thought i might as well add it in.

USA v Czech Republic
Belarus v Switzerland

World Group I playoffs
France v Spain will be interesting. Mug has to play for Spain to win you feel. CSN probably wont be back for that match .
Russia v Belguim. Who knows what team Russian they will bring out. Belguim are getting better with Mertens, Wickmayer, Flipkins all decent top 100 players. Tie will depend on what Russian team gets dragged to play this tie.
Germany v Ukraine is a ripper. Kerber will play for the Germans. Give the slight edge to them if that does indeed happen. hard draw for Svitolina. Looking forward to drawing one of these teams next year.
Slovakia v Netherlands. Worst 2 teams play each other. Hopefully. we get a Rus v Schmieds game. would be a dream match up.

Italy v CT should win. Italy are not great nowadays. Golden generation is ending for them
Romania v GB. hahahahahahahahaha. 2 best teams play each other. Halep was named but didnt play last tie due to injury. but the Romanians still have Cirstea and Begu and they will play this on clay. i will give them the edge.
Serbia v Australia- surely the girls wont lose this one, regardless of Jankovic.
Canada v Russian Reserves - The Reserves will get up.

These are guesses but we would play at (assuming we win)

Home: Ukraine, Netherlands, Slovakia, Germany, Belgium
Away, Russia, Spain, Italy(WGII)

Lots: France,

the seedings might also mean we could play a fellow Group II winner playoff. i say most of those would be drawn by lots.

Sorry, been busy. these are the teams for next weeks Fed Cup.

WORLD GROUP SEMIFINALS

USA v CZECH REPUBLIC

Venue: Saddlebrook Resort, Florida, USA (clay - outdoor)

USA
Coco Vandeweghe
Lauren Davis
Shelby Rogers
Bethanie Mattek-Sands
Captain: Kathy Rinaldi

Czech Republic
Katerina Siniakova
Kristyna Pliskova
Denisa Allertova
Marketa Vondrousova
Captain: Petr Pala

A Fed Cup Semi Final and the Czechs name a reserve team. Sinikova is class and the other Pliskova isnt the worst. but i cant see the Czechs beating a BMS led doubles team and i cant see the czechs going 3-1 in the singles.

BELARUS v SWITZERLAND
Venue: Chizhovka Arena, Minsk, BLR (hard - indoor)

Belarus
Aliaksandra Sasnovich
Aryna Sabalenka
Olga Govortsova
Vera Lapko
Captain: Eduard Dubrou

Switzerland
Timea Bacsinszky
Viktorija Golubic
Belinda Bencic
Martina Hingis
Captain: Heinz Guenthardt

Golubic isnt bad at Fed Cup and indoor surfaces but her form is quite average this year and lost convincingly to Sasnovich last week in similar conditions. Bencic has shocking form. A lot will depend on Bacsinskzy. She will have to carry this swiss team. She is capable. She will partner Hingis in the doubles. they are olympic silver medalists and they made a final last week.

WORLD GROUP PLAY-OFFS

FRANCE v SPAIN
Venue: Halle André Vacheresse, Roanne, FRA (clay - indoor)

France
Kristina Mladenovic
Caroline Garcia
Alize Cornet
Pauline Parmentier
Captain: Yannick Noah

Spain
Sara Sorribes Tormo
Silvia Soler-Espinosa
Olga Saez Larra
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez
Captain: Conchita Martinez

France will win. No CSN or Mug for injury reasons. That French team is capable of winning the whole comp.

RUSSIA v BELGIUM
Venue: Small Sports Arena "Luzhniki", Moscow, RUS (clay - indoor)

Russia
Elena Vesnina
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
Daria Kasatkina
Anna Blinkova
Captain: Anastasia Myskina

Belgium
Elise Mertens
Maryna Zanevska
Alison Van Uytvanck
An-Sophie Mestach
Captain: Dominique Monami

Mertens first named. what a Hobart title can do for your career. Strong Russian team for once. Cant See Belguim winning.

GERMANY v UKRAINE
Venue: Porsche Arena, Stuttgart, GER (clay - indoor)

Germany
Angelique Kerber
Laura Siegemund
Julia Goerges
Carina Witthoeft
Captain: Barbara Rittner

Ukraine
Elina Svitolina
Lesia Tsurenko
Olga Savchuk
Nadiia Kichenok
Captain: Mikhail Filima
Wowsers. Svits v Kerber. That German depth is strong. I really rate Withoeft and Siegemund was class the week before. Think the Germans will overwhelm Ukraine on average.

SLOVAKIA v NETHERLANDS
Venue: AEGON Arena, Bratislava, SVK (clay - indoor)

Slovakia
Dominika Cibulkova
Kristina Kucova
Jana Cepelova
Rebecca Sramkova
Captain: Matej Liptak

Netherlands
Kiki Bertens
Richel Hogenkamp
Cindy Burger
Arantxa Rus
Captain: Paul Haarhuis

No Schmieds, no Slovakia. Would have paid good money to watch her v Rus. Cibulkova v Kiki will be the match which should determine the winner.

WORLD GROUP II PLAY-OFFS

ITALY v CHINESE TAIPEI
Venue: Circolo Tennis Barletta, Barletta, ITA (clay - outdoor)

Italy
Sara Errani
Jasmine Paolini
Martina Trevisan
Camilla Rosatello
Captain: Tathiana Garbin

Chinese Taipei
Lee Ya-Hsuan
Hsu Chieh-Yu
Hsu Ching-Wen
Chuang Chia-Jung
Captain: Shi-Ting Wang

Who are these players....?

ROMANIA v GREAT BRITAIN
Venue: Tenis Club IDU, Constanta, ROU (clay - outdoor)

Romania
Simona Halep
Irina-Camelia Begu
Monica Niculescu
Sorana Cirstea
Captain: Ilie Nastase

Great Britain
Johanna Konta
Heather Watson
Laura Robson
Jocelyn Rae
Captain: Anne Keothavong

Will be interesting to see how konta goes on clay against 2 very good player on the surface in Begu and Halep. I think it will be too much to expect her to win both matches and i struggle to see if the Brit number 2 can overcome Begu or Cirstea.

SERBIA v AUSTRALIA
Venue: Kristalna Dvorana Sports Hall, Zrenjanin, SRB (hard - indoor)

Serbia
Nina Stojanovic (130)
Aleksandra Krunic (119)
Ivana Jorovic (174)
Dejana Radanovic (331)
Captain: Tatjana Jecmenica

Australia
Daria Gavrilova
Ashleigh Barty
Destanee Aiava
Casey Dellacqua
Captain: Alicia Molik

young Serbian Team. we should win this easily. be very disappointed if we drop a match.

CANADA v KAZAKHSTAN
Venue: Uniprix Stadium, Montreal, CAN (hard - indoor)

Canada
Francoise Abanda
Bianca Andreescu
Katherine Sebov
Gabriela Dabrowski
Captain: Sylvain Bruneau

Kazakhstan
Yulia Putintseva
Yaroslava Shvedova
Galina Voskoboeva
Kamila Kerimbayeva
Captain: Dias Doskaray

no genie. Too busy playing ITF tournaments. Canada dont stand a chance. The Russian 2nd div team will win. Putintseva is capable of going nuts and losing to a much lower ranked player but their depth should see them home.

We should win this easily. No Stosur again, has she made herself unavailable for the foreseeable future?

Missing from the team is Australia’s most capped Fed Cup player Sam Stosur, who has decided to focus on WTA events.

“Sam has been an incredible asset to the Fed Cup team, and a great representative for Australia,” Molik said. “Sam hasn’t missed a tie for six years and I respect and support her decision to prioritise WTA events at this time.”
Source: http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2017/02/01/dasha-to-lead-fed-cup-charge

Australia were up against it in Kharkiv, dealing with the absence of Samantha Stosur, who withdrew from the tie to focus on early-season tournaments in the Middle East.

Molik said she was hopeful Stosur would return for Australia's next tie – in April against an opponent yet to be determined – but praised her young team, adding that there were several other players banging down the door to be considered for selection.

"I'm hoping Sam will play in April," she said. "It's a conversation yet to be had. I know the Fed Cup means a lot to her. I'd love to see her playing but it's great to see the youth coming through.
Source: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/...r-stosurs-fed-cup-future-20170212-gub8jp.html

I would say based on previous dialogue and her decision to not play a FC tie for a 2nd consecutive time, that Sam is putting her career first indefinitely.

Dasha being eligible to play since last year and the return of Barty could have factored in that decision. Sam isn't getting any younger (as well as Casey, and Casey is now only useful for doubles). Sam probably feels it's time that others step up to the plate and assume responsibility instead of being expected to carry most of the burden herself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back