LukeParkerno1

Post-Human
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
She has been very smart with her schedule this year. This week is only her 15th tournament of the year, one of the lowest in the top 10. Only Serena has played less tournaments than Barty in the top 15 ranked players.
It is more the doubles on top of her schedule that worries me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Alja better not stop the Barty winning 3 rubbers by herself streak. Its historic!

Plus it feels a little cheap parachuting her in.

BobbyMorri

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Scunny, Furth
French team named

Kristina Mladenovic, ranked 39 in the world, will be backed by Caroline Garcia (45), Alize Cornet (60), Fiona Ferro (63) and Pauline Parmentier (121).

We should win this. Aja is just a huge in as Garcia and Kiki were a top doubles team. we would want to have won before that and so, the 2nd singles player was vital.

Kinda agree on Barty with doubles in the grand slam tournaments. But, look, she can do what she wants to do. After all, she made the doubles final and won singles in Grand Slams this year. I noticed she would withdraw a lot in doubles if she went deep anyway.

LukeParkerno1

Post-Human
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
French team named

Kristina Mladenovic, ranked 39 in the world, will be backed by Caroline Garcia (45), Alize Cornet (60), Fiona Ferro (63) and Pauline Parmentier (121).

We should win this. Aja is just a huge in as Garcia and Kiki were a top doubles team. we would want to have won before that and so, the 2nd singles player was vital.

Kinda agree on Barty with doubles in the grand slam tournaments. But, look, she can do what she wants to do. After all, she made the doubles final and won singles in Grand Slams this year. I noticed she would withdraw a lot in doubles if she went deep anyway.
Very strong tie. That's a handy French side.

Yeah that's my issue re the doubles, and I get the fact that she likes them, but there is a line. You don't want to hurt your singles opportunities.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Tuart Hill, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
With the doubles who could partner Stosur besides Barty. At least Barty won't have far to travel to Perth from Shenzhen and will be on the same time zone which is a big plus. Would you throw Astrid in to partner Stosur? Going forward a recognised doubles team needs to be formed.

thepacingman

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
With the doubles who could partner Stosur besides Barty. At least Barty won't have far to travel to Perth from Shenzhen and will be on the same time zone which is a big plus. Would you throw Astrid in to partner Stosur? Going forward a recognised doubles team needs to be formed.
Hon came through when she partnered Barty in that deciding rubber against the Seppos. The very last game where Hon served it out to love was probably the best service game she's ever done.

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Doubles is the last tie in fed cup is it not? Barty will always back up if fit. Barty at 50% still better than the other doubles options.

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Problem is we are kind of locked in to playing her in the reverse as well now or Stosur will have to play singles and doubles on the same day which isn't ideal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BobbyMorri

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Scunny, Furth
I must admit, I really like Kiki. My kind of headcase. But also love the fact that she always turns up for these events.

The last Fed cup final deserves a killer live doubles tie.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Why would you play a first match, let alone in the Fed Cup final. That’s a huge silly risk. No need for it. Stosur is just as strong in this tournament and a veteran.
The reverse rubber could get ugly as well, so Barty has to win both singles anyways. Who’s the doubles pairing?

ams4crows

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Surely you pull Tomljanovic and play Stosur in the reverse?
Win that 2nd singles (you assume Ash wins) and We've won the Fed cup without needing the doubles

BobbyMorri

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Scunny, Furth
You guys are assuming that Stosur is a mental giant who had never had an issue playing in front of a home crowd.

Aja is this sort of player. But she is still the best we have.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Both captains will toss and turn over the 2 v 2 match up.

Wonder if Cornet is fit for the French. She retired from her last match of the year on tour. Doubt they would consider Parmentier or Ferro as they are both clay courters.

Top Bottom