WTA Fed Cup 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, this is on this weekend. Ash Barty is hosting Belarus with all there guns in Brisbane. 1pm it starts tmw. Hope Brisbane gets around it

Lets be honest. Ash Barty will have to do everything herself here. Huge effort required against a very strong Belarus with Azarenka, Sabelenka, Lapko and Sanovich(who has a very good record in Brisbane)

Good news, Sam is back so if we can get this to the doubles, then we are a huge chance. Barty and Stosur could be a number 1 ranked doubles team. In saying that, even that will be tough. We have seen Sabelenka in doubles with Mertens and that combo could easily make the End of year finals.

In the other semi, Halep led Romania v France. Should be a ripping tie as well. France has Garcia, Cornet and Kiki. Romania has Begu, Buzărnescu and Niculescu, who are all decent and could snatch a game from the French on their day. Still, think Halep needs to win both games as France should win the doubles due to Kiki/Garica

Elsewhere in WG I

Georges Germany v Ostapenko Latvia has just started in Riga. Latvia will lack depth as they are having to play people ranked in the 500's. S

Belgium is missing Mertens and so will lose to Spain with CSN and Mug.

Both the Czechs and Candanians are missing their big names. so who cares.

Us have Keys and Stephens. The Swiss don't have Bencic. So, one winner here as well.

WGII has Italy v Russia,
Japan v The Netherlands
UK v Kazakstan
Slovakia v Brazil.(and yes, Schmieds is named)

Azarenka is a tough player to beat in fed cup, not many have done it. Great play by Barty, especially in the 2nd set.

Stosur played quite well, Sabalenka is a tough opponent. Actually Barty has struggled against her in their previous encounters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge. November Final should be grand.

Not sure who we want. Halep is dangerous as she can beat Barty and their 2nd player isn't bad. France is a more even team with a very dangerous doubles team. Still, Belarus>>>>both of them. Amazing effort by Barty yet again.

We just have to hope Barty is fresh for it. Long season.

Huge. November Final should be grand.

Not sure who we want. Halep is dangerous as she can beat Barty and their 2nd player isn't bad. France is a more even team with a very dangerous doubles team. Still, Belarus>>>>both of them. Amazing effort by Barty yet again.

We just have to hope Barty is fresh for it. Long season.
I'd prefer Romania
The French would beat us for depth

I'd prefer Romania
The French would beat us for depth
Haley whilst a great player is not someone that can overpower Ash, there would be numerous cat and mouse rallies coming down to who can out grind the other. I'd argue Ash has more variety but Halep is the better counter puncher.

So apparently Barty is the first player to win all 3 ties back to back in the quarter and semi finals.

Kind of surprising but I guess not many of the top players play doubles and on the rare occassion Serena has played Fed Cup the tie wouldn't get to the doubles.

France will be our opponent in the final, they win the final rubber 5-7 6-3 6-4.
Credit must be given to the French captain in getting Garcia and Kiki on the same side of the net. Then keeping them on the task required. Was a good match and I was waiting (and hoping somewhat) for that one spark that would have had them at each other's throats. Maybe they're saving that for the final, would be great entertainment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back