Federal ICAC STAT!!!

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
We have politicians on both sides making laws in favour of companies they then get million dollar no show jobs from after politics.

Surveillance laws closing in on us that specifically exclude anti corruption bodies from using them on politicians.

Please help be a part of this and sign up to make sure australia gets a fully funded federal icac - STAT!!

We have politicians on both sides making laws in favour of companies they then get million dollar no show jobs from after politics.

Surveillance laws closing in on us that specifically exclude anti corruption bodies from using them on politicians.

Please help be a part of this and sign up to make sure australia gets a fully funded federal icac - STAT!!

the sooner the better

better accountability makes better govt, no matter who is in charge

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
The Morrison-Joyce Government is now paying a Liberal Party donor more than $10,000 every day for each person held on Nauru.

They've had countless opportunities to re-negotiate this contract to get a better deal for taxpayers, or to put the contract through a competitive tender process.

It beggars belief that each person on Nauru needs four people to look after them, especially as every single asylum seeker on the island is now living in the Nauruan community.

Whether it’s Leppington Triangle, Car Park Rorts, or now this shocking contract, Mr Morrison spends taxpayer’s money like it’s Liberal Party money. #NotOnYourSide

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
<<<Since 2012 Australia has been sliding down Transparency International's corruption index thanks to a combination of:
  • the lack of Federal ICAC/Ministerial accountability
  • opaque donation laws
  • attacks on accountability institutions
  • the revolving door between public office and private enterprise

Society relies on trust. If trust is lost what happens next? Contemporary international politics indicates that populism rises and democracy is eroded.

PS On January 25 TI releases their 2021 ranking.

Learn more here https://buff.ly/3Ag0hps>>>

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
We don't even need a 'real' one if ScoMo brings one out.

Forgetful Dan rolled out Judge Coate The Joke for his pretend hotel quarantine sh*t show and got away with it by not remembering anything.
801 cases of Industrial Manslaughter swept under the rug, no problems when you control the process.

We don't even need a 'real' one if ScoMo brings one out.

Forgetful Dan rolled out Judge Coate The Joke for his pretend hotel quarantine sh*t show and got away with it by not remembering anything.
801 cases of Industrial Manslaughter swept under the rug, no problems when you control the process.
david-lee-roth-look-over-there.gif

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

My only reservation remains the model:

Julian Grill – the former WA politician and lobbyist whose reputation and business were destroyed by two sweeping but largely fruitless Corruption and Crime Commission inquiries – has broken his long silence on the issue to deliver an excoriating account of his and former business partner Brian Burke’s experience at the hands of the watchdog.
The former lawyer and long-term Labor MP will this week formally launch his new book, Secret State*, a lengthy dissection of the CCC process that changed the course of WA history and ruined lives, but ultimately failed to deliver any meaningful prosecutions.

Grill says the carnage wrought not only on him but on dozens of other innocent people should serve as a reminder of the dangers of giving anti-corruption bodies too much power.

Tougher oversight and greater accountability of corruption watchdogs, he says, could deliver better outcomes and reduce the risk of powers being misused.

The structure of WA’s CCC, Grill says, allowed it to set the terms of engagement without some of the most fundamental legal principles. He and the others hauled before its hearings were not allowed effective legal representation, were unable to give evidence on their own behalf, could not call their own witnesses and were denied the ability to cross-examine other witnesses.

“The travails of my period really underline the basic problems of CCC-type tribunals,” he said. “They essentially act as judge, jury and executioner without any procedural rules.”

*Secret State

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
My only reservation remains the model:

Julian Grill – the former WA politician and lobbyist whose reputation and business were destroyed by two sweeping but largely fruitless Corruption and Crime Commission inquiries – has broken his long silence on the issue to deliver an excoriating account of his and former business partner Brian Burke’s experience at the hands of the watchdog.
The former lawyer and long-term Labor MP will this week formally launch his new book, Secret State*, a lengthy dissection of the CCC process that changed the course of WA history and ruined lives, but ultimately failed to deliver any meaningful prosecutions.

Grill says the carnage wrought not only on him but on dozens of other innocent people should serve as a reminder of the dangers of giving anti-corruption bodies too much power.

Tougher oversight and greater accountability of corruption watchdogs, he says, could deliver better outcomes and reduce the risk of powers being misused.

The structure of WA’s CCC, Grill says, allowed it to set the terms of engagement without some of the most fundamental legal principles. He and the others hauled before its hearings were not allowed effective legal representation, were unable to give evidence on their own behalf, could not call their own witnesses and were denied the ability to cross-examine other witnesses.

“The travails of my period really underline the basic problems of CCC-type tribunals,” he said. “They essentially act as judge, jury and executioner without any procedural rules.”

*Secret State
Judge jury and executioner hey?

Hyperbole to the max - icacs can issue no punishments - none.

So how are they an executioner?

All they can do is investigate, have hearings and recommend people for prosecution.

Just like the police.

If julian grill didnt want to be investigated ad nauseum id suggest not getting into bed with the man at the centre of wa’s biggest ever corruption scandal. A man who after release from jail continued in business in shall we say, less than straight up and down sorts of influence peddling.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Judge jury and executioner hey?

Hyperbole to the max - icacs can issue no punishments - none.

So how are they an executioner?

All they can do is investigate, have hearings and recommend people for prosecution.

Just like the police.

If julian grill didnt want to be investigated ad nauseum id suggest not getting into bed with the man at the centre of wa’s biggest corruption scandal. A man who after release from jail continued in business in shall we say, less than straight up and down sorts of influence peddling.
Grills guilt or innocence was not the point of my contribution to the Fed ICAC discussion (that must happen & better we get it right).

Currently there are 'going ons' in Qld the regulation flack surrounding it.

I am old enough to remember the original Fitzgerald Inquiry* & it cleaned up Qld for 20+ years
*The Fitzgerald Inquiry

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Grills guilt or innocence was not the point of my contribution to the Fed ICAC discussion (that must happen & better we get it right).

Currently there are 'going ons' in Qld the regulation flack surrounding it.

I am old enough to remember the original Fitzgerald Inquiry* & it cleaned up Qld for 20+ years
*The Fitzgerald Inquiry
It didnt, it cleaned up some of the corruption and made the rest aware that you had to be a bit smarter about it.

The intention is spot on. Even if we had a political police force who only had one job, to make sure the public service was entirely without political leaning, that the bureaucratic machine was entirely without bias or agenda in any direction and staffed by the closest to cold clinical human robots as possible - that will still be corrupted eventually as the tendrils of politics extend everywhere.

The solution isn't investigative bodies, it's in total transparency. Any and all communications not directly relating to national security, redacted where appropriate in that case and where specific individuals are being discussed, such as refugee families etc to protect their privacy.

You should be able to search a database for an email you sent to a minister or department a decade ago and see all the communications surrounding it.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
The intention is spot on. Even if we had a political police force who only had one job, to make sure the public service was entirely without political leaning, that the bureaucratic machine was entirely without bias or agenda in any direction and staffed by the closest to cold clinical human robots as possible - that will still be corrupted eventually as the tendrils of politics extend everywhere.

The solution isn't investigative bodies, it's in total transparency. Any and all communications not directly relating to national security, redacted where appropriate in that case and where specific individuals are being discussed, such as refugee families etc to protect their privacy.

You should be able to search a database for an email you sent to a minister or department a decade ago and see all the communications surrounding it.
Fwarkin ell - i never thought id agree with every single word in a taylor pist yet here we are

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Do people here really believe that Albo will set up a Federal ICAC with all the power it actually needs to properly investigate anyone independently?
Been done in various states theres no reason it cant be done federally

I mean unless you have a lot of s**t to hide???

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Been done in various states theres no reason it cant be done federally

I mean unless you have a lot of sh*t to hide???

Oh Im in favour of it, I just think that politicians are not going to give an independent body all the power it needs to investigate politicians successfully. NSW has had limited success over the last 30 years. And they take years and years just for the investigations. Then the cases take years and years.

Im unsure about Victoria, but I dont recall any big cases.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Oh Im in favour of it, I just think that politicians are not going to give an independent body all the power it needs to investigate politicians successfully. NSW has had limited success over the last 30 years. And they take years and years just for the investigations. Then the cases take years and years.

Im unsure about Victoria, but I dont recall any big cases.
What it does do is the same as what having a police force does as opposed to having no police force…..

Back