Federer - a return to #1?

Remove this Banner Ad

So, guess who just got a late WC into Rotterdam...

Would need a SF appearance to become the world number 1 once more.
Huh. It's obvious he wants the #1 back but I didn't think he would chase it this hard. You'd think this means he'll skip Dubai for what must be the first time in a while.

Huh. It's obvious he wants the #1 back but I didn't think he would chase it this hard. You'd think this means he'll skip Dubai for what must be the first time in a while.
My belief is that he is feeling really fresh post Oz open. Remember last year that he just returned from 6 months off and then played 3 5 setters at the Aus Open. This year he only had one physically challenging match.

He wants the number 1 spot back as mentioned in my previous post and this is his best chance. Nadal wants to hold on to #1as much as fed wants it, so it's a nice battle to follow.

So he changes his schedule purely to have a shot at reclaiming the number 1 position probably for about four weeks, going against everything he’s said over the past 12 months in the process.

Interesting.

So he changes his schedule purely to have a shot at reclaiming the number 1 position probably for about four weeks, going against everything he’s said over the past 12 months in the process.

Interesting.

Fair chance he re-assessed his goals over the break and had a return to #1 high up there.

I am pretty sure he said the number one spot was very important to him, so he's not really going against anything?
“But at this age, I think I’ll make mistakes if I start chasing it. I’m not sure how much the body allows me to chase goals like this. Maybe if I start thinking about it too often and too much, I think I’m maybe also not playing the way I’m supposed to be playing. Maybe I tense up. Maybe I’m nervous. Maybe that’s not good for my back. Who knows what it is?”

And what does he do... chases it. Haha.

“But at this age, I think I’ll make mistakes if I start chasing it. I’m not sure how much the body allows me to chase goals like this. Maybe if I start thinking about it too often and too much, I think I’m maybe also not playing the way I’m supposed to be playing. Maybe I tense up. Maybe I’m nervous. Maybe that’s not good for my back. Who knows what it is?”

And what does he do... chases it. Haha.
I don't really get why your questioning it. He only needs to reach the semis here for it. If he gets it, hell probably skip dubai. And he must be feeling good physically, that's all he needs to worry about.

I don't really get why your questioning it. He only needs to reach the semis here for it. If he gets it, hell probably skip dubai. And he must be feeling good physically, that's all he needs to worry about.
It's surprising given what he's said.

It's surprising given what he's said.
He said a lot of that last year after returning from 6 months off and not sure how his body would cope. As I said, if he is feeling good physically, why not go for it? It could be his best chance. With 2000 points to defend at Miami and Indian wells, then the clay season, the next couple of weeks are his shot at it.

I think he's probably just realised that he has to go for it. That getting back to number 1, even if it's just for a week or two, would be a bigger achievement than anything other than winning another slam. And Wimbedon is ages away. By playing Rotterdam (and potentially Dubai) it might hurt his chances at Indian Wells and Miami slightly, but I think it's probably worth the risk. Breaking Agassi's oldest number 1 record by 3 years, if even just for a week or two, would be a bigger deal than winning another Masters 1000.

I think he's probably just realised that he has to go for it. That getting back to number 1, even if it's just for a week or two, would be a bigger achievement than anything other than winning another slam. And Wimbedon is ages away. By playing Rotterdam (and potentially Dubai) it might hurt his chances at Indian Wells and Miami slightly, but I think it's probably worth the risk. Breaking Agassi's oldest number 1 record by 3 years, if even just for a week or two, would be a bigger deal than winning another Masters 1000.

That's true. Fact is Wimbledon is his main target with Flushing Meadows down the track and those two targets are the be all and end all for him but Wimbledon is ages away - the Mighty Tigers will be well on the way to ensuring their top 4 place by then !!! - and I reckon looking at it now if he was giv en a straight choice between a few weeks at Number 1 or a win at Indian Wells he would probably choose the number 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great choice by Federer, this is his golden chance to return to number 1 at the age of 36 prior to having to defend Indian Wells & Miami, not like playing this tournament is going to affect his Wimbledon chances either.

True. Round of 32 match little more than a training spin as as you say it is so far from Wimbledon that it has no impact either way. Also remember he will have the figure of 100 tour titles in his mind as well. He needs 4 more. Who knows when it will all end for him. No harm in a relatively straightforward 500 pointer if he can win it.

Fed might even win the whole thing now that Zverev and Wawrinka are out, although that's less important than achieving #1 - he'll probably do it anyway.

giphy.gif

Federer has just beaten kohlschreiber in a tight 2 set match. 1 win away

Kohlschreiber asked a few questions but ultimately it is another straight sets day at the office for Federer. In a couple of days time going to Rotterdam could look like a great idea and even in the event of a fail what has he lost? Nothing really since he is not taking much out of himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back