Female Guitarists

Remove this Banner Ad

Allison Robertson from The Donnas

And if i may do a bassist, D'Arcy Wretzky of Smashing Pumpkins fame. Very cool.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Bonnie Raitt would be the only ones i could consider to be in the top echelon of all guitarists.

Some o.k. rhythm players but the above two would be better than some fairly well regarded males.

Jennifer Batton, who is one of the most technically skilled guitarists going around. She's into all that 8 finger tapping crap, and has been Michael Jackson's guitarist for the past decade or so.

My favourite is Ani Di Franco. Great singer/songwriter too.

brownys girl said:
Favourite band is Slipknot, i like Korn aswell. But im in a Pop Punk band:eek: .
Nice, except for the pop/punk bit. :D

brownys girl said:
I got the Ibanez for christmas in 2002 i think it was and taught myself to play for the first year. After that i took lessons to get a bit better.
Yeah, forgot to mention I took lessons during '97, but once I had picked it up again I basically learned from Guitar World magazines from April 2001 till about August 2002.

brownys girl said:
At the start of this year my bro(Cogs24) gave me his strat and GT-6 because he stopped playing. I got the ZW-44 overdrive for my birthday this year and bought the G-400 with my birthday money(i really wanted a SG but couldnt afford one) And i got the ZW-45 about 2 weeks ago of Ebay
Tch tch tch. Why, cogs24, why? :p Always handy to have another muso in the family to quit and pass things on to you. :thumbsu:

brownys girl said:
So you like Metallica or just Kirk?
Username ring a bell? :) I love Metallica. Kirk would be my all time fave guitarist, Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth millimetres behind. Matt Heafy and Cory Beaulieu of Trivium climbing up the ranks very quickly too. I'll listen to any Metallica, but am less tolerant when it comes to Load, ReLoad and St. Anger.

brownys girl said:
And i also play drums and want to learn bass
Yeah I dabble in drums as well, I just don't have a kit to practise. Bass is easy to start out on if you can play guitar fluently. I can, well sort of, sing. I can hit notes in my range which is all that matters. :D

Suze DeMarchi - Baby Animals
Sarah McLeod - Superjesus
The Donnas bird - cant remeber her name but saw them at BDO 05.

oxx said:
Bonnie Raitt
Steve Vai
LOL....:D ...Jennifer Batten is OK if you're into "basically running up and down scales"....Actually as far as talent is concerned,there aren't any but I'll buy Bonnie Raitt.Its just that when you've heard Duane Allman,any other slide comparison "slide's" into insignificance....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hole and Veruca Salt had a number of female guitarists who weren't too bad.

Also, D'arcy from the Smashing Pumpkins platyed guitar, also Rayna from Coal Chamber.

metallichris said:
Good or bad? Good to see? Are there any famous ones? I don't believe I know of a single decent female guitarist.

Shed some light for me. :thumbsu:

There seems to be little doubt that musical ability is not gender based as is evidenced by the high number of female musicians working in the classical scene. So there must be some good reasons for the correct assertion that the ranks of the top quality female guitarists is indeed very limited. I suspect, and I’m not being judgmental, that the gig environment has a lot to do with it, the scene not always being what Mum and Dad want little Helen to be associated with. As a consequence, young males get far more involved in those early years when so much is learned. Furthermore, because of their sex and novelty, struggling young female guitarists are subjected to sex based heckling which tends to discourage them and those who might have considered following them. Then the thing becomes cumulative. Less players means less leading players equates to less role models. It’s estimated that seven per cent of guitars sold in the US are for females. It is calculated from this that about five per cent of guitarists are female; reduces the comparative field considerably.

So Metallichris, those are the thoughts of a guy 3 or 4 times the age of this thread’s average poster’s age. :eek: Whether it sheds any of the light you seek is another question.:) Enjoy your music! :D

PA HOG said:
There seems to be little doubt that musical ability is not gender based as is evidenced by the high number of female musicians working in the classical scene. So there must be some good reasons for the correct assertion that the ranks of the top quality female guitarists is indeed very limited. I suspect, and I’m not being judgmental, that the gig environment has a lot to do with it, the scene not always being what Mum and Dad want little Helen to be associated with. As a consequence, young males get far more involved in those early years when so much is learned. Furthermore, because of their sex and novelty, struggling young female guitarists are subjected to sex based heckling which tends to discourage them and those who might have considered following them. Then the thing becomes cumulative. Less players means less leading players equates to less role models. It’s estimated that seven per cent of guitars sold in the US are for females. It is calculated from this that about five per cent of guitarists are female; reduces the comparative field considerably.

So Metallichris, those are the thoughts of a guy 3 or 4 times the age of this thread’s average poster’s age. :eek: Whether it sheds any of the light you seek is another question.:) Enjoy your music! :D
Good post. :thumbsu: Always good to hear the raw statistics of a topic, and logical responses from the more 'experienced'. :D

PA HOG said:
There seems to be little doubt that musical ability is not gender based as is evidenced by the high number of female musicians working in the classical scene.
Learning classical is a bit like learning arithmetic....It is more academic than musical...Technical persistance is required,as is the case for anything in life,but it is more an academic approach than music (ie : it is based on study and practice,not creativity and improvisation which is the basis for all successful (other than classical) musicians)...

In summary,musical ability is not a prerequisite in becoming a classical musician...

I can't believe no one has mentioned metal guitarist Lita Ford - she can really play. Also, Kelly Johnson ex-Girlschool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back