Society/Culture Feminism - 2017 Thread - Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa Wilkinson got her 'equal pay', although she's likely making much more than her male co-hosts at the Sunday Project.

Her ratings are tanking though, while the TODAY show is basically unaffected.
Is there something to her 'The Project' gig that I'm missing?

Basically doesn't seem to work more than a few nights a week and less hours per episode than her previous job at Today entailed and yet apparently is now getting more pay?

Is there something to her 'The Project' gig that I'm missing?

Basically doesn't seem to work more than a few nights a week and less hours per episode than her previous job at Today entailed and yet apparently is now getting more pay?
More pay by the hour, smaller wage at the end of the year, cue the "pay gap" idiots that will complain if at the end of the year she ears less than previous co-host because he does more hours and extras.

Lisa Wilkinson got her 'equal pay', although she's likely making much more than her male co-hosts at the Sunday Project.

Her ratings are tanking though, while the TODAY show is basically unaffected.

You’re referring to tabloid feminism. You take it more seriously than feminists do.

Interested in people's thought on this article I read on "The Woman Effect."

https://collectivehub.com/2018/03/do-female-led-businesses-perform-better-than-those-run-by-men/

DO FEMALE-LED BUSINESSES PERFORM BETTER THAN THOSE RUN BY MEN?
BY ANNA THOMAS

The short answer is 'hell yes.'

Stocksy_txpd088a69fEtr100_Small_1617607-750x500.jpg

Ed’s note: This post was written by guest editor Anna Thomas, COO of Stockdale & Leggo.

Traditionally, the domain of business belonged to men. Over the course of a century, women have slowly trickled in across the industries to change the tide of corporate culture. It’s been a slow, continual process as we work towards closing the gap on gender inequality.

As women climb the corporate ladder and walk the path of career success, we are mastering a broad set of leadership styles and leveraging them to drive better results within organisations. Despite the many adversities women face in the workplace, studies report that businesses run by women are commercially performing better than those led by men.

By eliminating negative self-talk, guilt and limiting beliefs, and by supporting one another we can embrace our inherent power as women and achieve greater success.

So, are female CEOs and founders a commercial game changer for businesses? And why are they producing better results than their male counterparts?

The simple answer is “the woman effect”… It’s been working its magic all over the world, and I believe it will continue to transform the success of businesses over the next decade, as we move away from outdated patriarchal modalities. With the steady influx of women in the workplace, there has been a clear shift towards a more people-based culture and more satisfying workplace environments.

What is The Woman Effect?
The McKinsey Women Matter Report discovered an interesting finding: companies with three or more women on their executive committees outperform those companies with primarily male board members. A higher participation of women in management grows the company’s bottom line by almost 50 per cent compared to companies led by men, which achieved half the return at 25 per cent.

According to a new study released today for International Women’s Day by SEEK, more than 65 per cent of Australia’s workforce would like to see more women in leadership roles. Across sector, country and organisation, the results are the same – more women in senior executive roles provides a greater financial performance and a higher ROI for those with a gender-balanced workplace.

R1T7966-750x500.jpg

Anna Thomas, COO of Stockdale & Leggo

Companies with more female leaders are more socially responsible, philanthropic, and have a better work culture. However, women tend to hold themselves back in business and wait until they are 100 per cent ready to take on a promotion. It’s time to put the worries and fears aside. Research shows that by just simply showing up, speaking up and encouraging other women, your business will ultimately flourish. It’s the woman effect!

Dana Theus, founder of InPower Women, says, “The Woman Effect is in our blood, hearts and minds. It’s part of who we are.” Simple and beautiful at its core, the effect means we have the ability to heal the economy and enact positive change by embracing our natural inbuilt power.

Women are bringing fresh perspective to the corporate game, despite cultural barriers and stereotypes surrounding them. Female leaders have the skills to strengthen organisational performance, and are diverse in their leadership scope, with a focus on developing the team, setting expectations, coaching, inspiring and participating in the decision-making processes. These areas are where the future of business is headed and where financial growth will be secured.

Gender-balanced leadership
Yes, women are better suited to leadership roles than men. Contrary to this, the actual number of women in management positions is significantly lower than males, and tends to decline the higher up the executive ladder you go. In order to bridge this gap, we need to create more inclusive workplaces.

As COO of a large real estate network, Stockdale and Leggo, I have witnessed the power of gender parity and how diverse teams outperform homogeneous ones every time. By mixing it up with both men and women in senior roles, we open up the dialogue to allow for innovation, forward-thinking practices, strategies and change. Companies achieving diversity attain better financial results and outperform those that don’t.

The problem of gender inequality still largely exists, as evidenced by the gender pay gap. However, gender balance among board directors and senior executives is essential if we want to increase productivity, profitability, and improve corporate culture and sustainability. A gender balance actually increases the working conditions for women, and decreases the pay gap.

A supportive environment
If female leaders are so instrumental in driving greater profits, then why is there still a gender parity? Why aren’t we seeing more women in senior executive roles? Essentially, it boils down to preconditioned biases of gender normative roles, unsupportive work environments, and dysfunctional company culture.

Throughout my years in business, I have noticed that men tend to promote people who are like themselves – due mostly to an unconscious bias. They dominate the decision making, including promotions.

By incorporating sponsorship programs, we can help create a level-playing field. AECOM has commenced a sponsorship program to support progression of senior female leaders into the most senior of roles. We need to see more initiatives like this, and advocate for them.

Women are ambitious, but a supportive environment is required to feel they can succeed in corporate culture. The McKinsey report says we need to enable women’s participation, engage men, and build strong pipelines of women leaders. We need career-development plans, flexible working policies, equal opportunities, mentorship and leadership programs, and to showcase the achievements of women.

Women are innovating the corporate landscape when increased participation and gender balanced, inclusive workplaces are present. With versatile thinking, resilience, and excellent leadership qualities, women are significant players on the corporate field and will continue to make a positive impact on the economy. By eliminating negative self-talk, guilt and limiting beliefs, and by supporting one another we can embrace our inherent power as women and achieve greater success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://collectivehub.com/2018/03/do-female-led-businesses-perform-better-than-those-run-by-men/

BY ANNA THOMAS

The short answer is 'hell yes.'

Stocksy_txpd088a69fEtr100_Small_1617607-750x500.jpg

Ed’s note: This post was written by guest editor Anna Thomas, COO of Stockdale & Leggo.

Traditionally, the domain of business belonged to men. Over the course of a century, women have slowly trickled in across the industries to change the tide of corporate culture. It’s been a slow, continual process as we work towards closing the gap on gender inequality.

As women climb the corporate ladder and walk the path of career success, we are mastering a broad set of leadership styles and leveraging them to drive better results within organisations. Despite the many adversities women face in the workplace, studies report that businesses run by women are commercially performing better than those led by men.

By eliminating negative self-talk, guilt and limiting beliefs, and by supporting one another we can embrace our inherent power as women and achieve greater success.

So, are female CEOs and founders a commercial game changer for businesses? And why are they producing better results than their male counterparts?

The simple answer is “the woman effect”… It’s been working its magic all over the world, and I believe it will continue to transform the success of businesses over the next decade, as we move away from outdated patriarchal modalities. With the steady influx of women in the workplace, there has been a clear shift towards a more people-based culture and more satisfying workplace environments.

What is The Woman Effect?
The McKinsey Women Matter Report discovered an interesting finding: companies with three or more women on their executive committees outperform those companies with primarily male board members. A higher participation of women in management grows the company’s bottom line by almost 50 per cent compared to companies led by men, which achieved half the return at 25 per cent.

According to a new study released today for International Women’s Day by SEEK, more than 65 per cent of Australia’s workforce would like to see more women in leadership roles. Across sector, country and organisation, the results are the same – more women in senior executive roles provides a greater financial performance and a higher ROI for those with a gender-balanced workplace.

R1T7966-750x500.jpg

Anna Thomas, COO of Stockdale & Leggo

Companies with more female leaders are more socially responsible, philanthropic, and have a better work culture. However, women tend to hold themselves back in business and wait until they are 100 per cent ready to take on a promotion. It’s time to put the worries and fears aside. Research shows that by just simply showing up, speaking up and encouraging other women, your business will ultimately flourish. It’s the woman effect!

Dana Theus, founder of InPower Women, says, “The Woman Effect is in our blood, hearts and minds. It’s part of who we are.” Simple and beautiful at its core, the effect means we have the ability to heal the economy and enact positive change by embracing our natural inbuilt power.

Women are bringing fresh perspective to the corporate game, despite cultural barriers and stereotypes surrounding them. Female leaders have the skills to strengthen organisational performance, and are diverse in their leadership scope, with a focus on developing the team, setting expectations, coaching, inspiring and participating in the decision-making processes. These areas are where the future of business is headed and where financial growth will be secured.

Gender-balanced leadership
Yes, women are better suited to leadership roles than men. Contrary to this, the actual number of women in management positions is significantly lower than males, and tends to decline the higher up the executive ladder you go. In order to bridge this gap, we need to create more inclusive workplaces.

As COO of a large real estate network, Stockdale and Leggo, I have witnessed the power of gender parity and how diverse teams outperform homogeneous ones every time. By mixing it up with both men and women in senior roles, we open up the dialogue to allow for innovation, forward-thinking practices, strategies and change. Companies achieving diversity attain better financial results and outperform those that don’t.

The problem of gender inequality still largely exists, as evidenced by the gender pay gap. However, gender balance among board directors and senior executives is essential if we want to increase productivity, profitability, and improve corporate culture and sustainability. A gender balance actually increases the working conditions for women, and decreases the pay gap.

A supportive environment
If female leaders are so instrumental in driving greater profits, then why is there still a gender parity? Why aren’t we seeing more women in senior executive roles? Essentially, it boils down to preconditioned biases of gender normative roles, unsupportive work environments, and dysfunctional company culture.

Throughout my years in business, I have noticed that men tend to promote people who are like themselves – due mostly to an unconscious bias. They dominate the decision making, including promotions.

By incorporating sponsorship programs, we can help create a level-playing field. AECOM has commenced a sponsorship program to support progression of senior female leaders into the most senior of roles. We need to see more initiatives like this, and advocate for them.

Women are ambitious, but a supportive environment is required to feel they can succeed in corporate culture. The McKinsey report says we need to enable women’s participation, engage men, and build strong pipelines of women leaders. We need career-development plans, flexible working policies, equal opportunities, mentorship and leadership programs, and to showcase the achievements of women.

Women are innovating the corporate landscape when increased participation and gender balanced, inclusive workplaces are present. With versatile thinking, resilience, and excellent leadership qualities, women are significant players on the corporate field and will continue to make a positive impact on the economy. By eliminating negative self-talk, guilt and limiting beliefs, and by supporting one another we can embrace our inherent power as women and achieve greater success.
bFkvZLw.jpg

BY ANNA THOMAS

I had a read, it was interesting but it does get a bit propaganda ish in parts with general cheerleading type remarks. "power of women" etc.

It mentions a study (unfortunately without real citation) about performance of companies being better when they have significant number of women leaders. I'd like to have seen the article dig deeper there to ask why, rather than make assertions:

Is the causation the wrong way around, as in, can profitable companies more afford to take a risk on women leaders who may be less experienced or connected?
I agree with the bit about men sub consciously picking men, there have many studies on this bias.

I also wonder if old companies with entrenched, stagnant (and probably male dominated) leadership affect the results. Is there as much observable difference in genders' performance if you only look at young companies or young leaders?

In my experience men and women really are as good as each other, but having worked in both male dominated and female dominated workforces, I have some anecdotal observations:

I still see more men happy to be decisive than with women.

I've seen women apologetically ask people to do things, when those things are that person's job. No need to apologize to ask them to do their job.

Women are much less competitive on that micro scale, and more likely to want to build a genuinely supportive environment. I think they can build a team culture better in that way.

Good, smart women leaders can still find it hard to cut through in meetings with dominant men. Same goes with the less aggressive men, they might know better but have less influence than the dominant ones. So perhaps having more women leaders takes the wastefully competetive, personal, heat out of things and allows all opinions to be heard and better decisions made?

But like the article, I really don't have enough data. It's just my plausible observation.

Let us count all the Fortune 500 companies started by women.

Well the same person who posted this article also posted another article about how women entrepreneurs don't attract the same level of funding as males. I think that this is one area which would not be sexist at all. Even if you hated women, as an investor if there was a woman with a great idea you wouldn't give a s**t would you? This project supervisor had us do a project on this very topic, again there was no point in raising points like this as she marked our assignments. Maybe it's not as simple as this, but surely it's a valid question.

I had a read, it was interesting but it does get a bit propaganda ish in parts with general cheerleading type remarks. "power of women" etc.

It mentions a study (unfortunately without real citation) about performance of companies being better when they have significant number of women leaders. I'd like to have seen the article dig deeper there to ask why, rather than make assertions:

Is the causation the wrong way around, as in, can profitable companies more afford to take a risk on women leaders who may be less experienced or connected?
I agree with the bit about men sub consciously picking men, there have many studies on this bias.

I also wonder if old companies with entrenched, stagnant (and probably male dominated) leadership affect the results. Is there as much observable difference in genders' performance if you only look at young companies or young leaders?

In my experience men and women really are as good as each other, but having worked in both male dominated and female dominated workforces, I have some anecdotal observations:

I still see more men happy to be decisive than with women.

I've seen women apologetically ask people to do things, when those things are that person's job. No need to apologize to ask them to do their job.

Women are much less competitive on that micro scale, and more likely to want to build a genuinely supportive environment. I think they can build a team culture better in that way.

Good, smart women leaders can still find it hard to cut through in meetings with dominant men. Same goes with the less aggressive men, they might know better but have less influence than the dominant ones. So perhaps having more women leaders takes the wastefully competetive, personal, heat out of things and allows all opinions to be heard and better decisions made?

But like the article, I really don't have enough data. It's just my plausible observation.

I'm reading the McKinsey report that was cited now. The points that were cited about managements with higher proportions of women having some better financial performance are there. They studied 300 companies around the world, no mention of which ones, not sure why they selected those ones.

Anyway the main point of the report seemed to be the low participation of women in the workforce, and with an impending skills shortage likely to hit the job market in the next few years they want to increase participation. Women don't work as much as men and when they do it's more likely to be part time. They also tend to work in industries that have lower productivity than male dominated industries. Could this explain the gender wage gap maybe? And this wasn't mentioned in the article i posted believe it or not.

Well the same person who posted this article also posted another article about how women entrepreneurs don't attract the same level of funding as males. I think that this is one area which would not be sexist at all. Even if you hated women, as an investor if there was a woman with a great idea you wouldn't give a s**t would you? This project supervisor had us do a project on this very topic, again there was no point in raising points like this as she marked our assignments. Maybe it's not as simple as this, but surely it's a valid question.
Of course. If they can make money from a 'great idea' they can have as much funding as they want.

Joseph Goebbels would be proud of that bit of feminist propaganda. The author has flipped reality on its head to fit what she wants to believe is true.
and so what is it that you don't like. that women can't actually believe in themselves and don't actually like what men say..

duping everyone is a method of deceiving everyone and it is a difficult line to cross.

let it go.. please.

and so what is it that you don't like.

Feminist propaganda and lies.

that women can't actually believe in themselves and don't actually like what men say..

Are men simply to accept feminist lies so long as it's for the sake of making women feel good about themselves?

duping everyone is a method of deceiving everyone and it is a difficult line to cross.

It's proven to be the case that deception is not a difficult line for feminists to cross at all. Feminists lie without conscience, shame or remorse. Feminists are pathological liars, because their world view defies nature and reality.

let it go.. please.

This smacks of being an enabler of feminist lies and women's delusions.

absolutely not an enabler and pleased to hear of your thoughts about it unlike some of my sisterhood.

I put it out there and you give it back.. that is the way i want and like it.. thank you..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back