Society/Culture Feminism - 2017 Thread - Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it varies because offence is taken not given and everyone's idea of what they'd take offence to is different from one person to the next, the problem is though and I'll use the example I posted previously is that the judgement is decided on outcome rather than intent.

The third person took offence on behalf of one of the two in banter discussion between each other - this was not asked for by the one in the banter discussion and yet the other work mate was terminated from employment - even at the protest of the other in the discussion.

Needless to say the third person reporting the supposed "offence" is not very popular among the work force and rightly so, also the company should take a good hard look at itself and realize that trying to "protect and include" everyone has blown up in their faces.

If this is the path that society wants to walk down it should be probably learn from examples like this one and think twice.

This is why you should be smart about things as a worker. Of course if something serious has happened you need to report it, but for your own good and future (if you really care about that job) you shouldn't be so righteous.

This is why you should be smart about things as a worker. Of course if something serious has happened you need to report it, but for your own good and future (if you really care about that job) you shouldn't be so righteous.

Couldn't agree more, my point is though we shouldn't be at a place and time in society where these things are judged on outcome. If that example and others like it are judged on intent then that example would not have been an issue to begin with.

A few screenshots from a connection on Linkedin, interested in the team's thoughts. This thread has been called an echo chamber for incels I believe (paraphrasing) so would like some diverse opinions on this.

This connection is an avowed feminist who appears to be making her living as a "diversity consultant", companies pay her to help them become more diverse I guess, an oversimplification but gives you some background.

So the first shot doesn't want us to differentiate between women's and men's sport basically, which is fine I guess but would cause a fair bit of confusion, two Australian cricket teams, two AFLs etc etc. I think people would identify each as men's and women's colloquially anyway.

mr_2.png

This one I just disagree with, media coverage is not proportional to success. People still have no idea who Chad Reed is here and he's been world class in super cross for years. Robert Whittaker's accomplishments in MMA are (arguably) much greater than Anthony Mundine's in boxing already and Mundine is a household name here.

Also she states that "women's teams are much more successful than men's" without qualifying it with any teams etc. But again this doesn't necessarily call for more coverage.

mr.png

This one I just disagree with, media coverage is not proportional to success. People still have no idea who Chad Reed is here and he's been world class in super cross for years. Robert Whittaker's accomplishments in MMA are (arguably) much greater than Anthony Mundine's in boxing already and Mundine is a household name here.

Also she states that "women's teams are much more successful than men's" without qualifying it with any teams etc. But again this doesn't necessarily call for more coverage.

Chad Reed and Whittaker aren't front of mind (in this county anyway) because of the sport they're in not because of who they are, at the height of his career Chad had his 15 minutes of Aussie fame - completely different in the states though he was a household name and is considered one of the GOAT. It's because of the sports - they're huge over there, not over here. Sure those sports are popular in Australia from a participation perspective but not so from a spectator perspective hence the level of fame for these two.

As far as "coverage" that's always going to be decided by the old supply and demand argument for example AFLW will have big exposure because there's a market, at minimum young girls are going to watch AFLW because it could be them one day - it's a guaranteed supply of spectators.

A few screenshots from a connection on Linkedin, interested in the team's thoughts. This thread has been called an echo chamber for incels I believe (paraphrasing) so would like some diverse opinions on this.

This connection is an avowed feminist who appears to be making her living as a "diversity consultant", companies pay her to help them become more diverse I guess, an oversimplification but gives you some background.

So the first shot doesn't want us to differentiate between women's and men's sport basically, which is fine I guess but would cause a fair bit of confusion, two Australian cricket teams, two AFLs etc etc. I think people would identify each as men's and women's colloquially anyway.

View attachment 605430

View attachment 605431
I have no doubt that if there were to be a men's netball league it would be referred to as such.

People wouldn't start calling the women's comp "women's netball league" because that is the standard and original.

Chad Reed and Whittaker aren't front of mind (in this county anyway) because of the sport they're in not because of who they are, at the height of his career Chad had his 15 minutes of Aussie fame - completely different in the states though he was a household name and is considered one of the GOAT. It's because of the sports - they're huge over there, not over here. Sure those sports are popular in Australia from a participation perspective but not so from a spectator perspective hence the level of fame for these two.

As far as "coverage" that's always going to be decided by the old supply and demand argument for example AFLW will have big exposure because there's a market, at minimum young girls are going to watch AFLW because it could be them one day - it's a guaranteed supply of spectators.

You're right about Reed and Whittaker (I know * all about Reed but always heard his name in top money earners list). I guess it proves my point that accomplishments doesn't equal exposure, and you need to be participating in a popular sport to get exposure.

The thing about AFLW many assume that women prefer to watch AFLW than AFL, i've yet to see this be proven. Anecdotally I don't find this to be true from women I know. And you make a fair point about "it may be them some day", but you don't find that the NBL is more popular than the NBA over here for young basketballers I don't believe.

I have no doubt that if there were to be a men's netball league it would be referred to as such.

People wouldn't start calling the women's comp "women's netball league" because that is the standard and original.

True, women's netball is the pinnacle of the sport so yes you're right there. And let's be honest, there would be a lot of s**t hung on the guys playing in a national netball league, would be interesting to see if there was an effort to give this exposure.

Yeah agree the figures would be interesting, but I'd back my assumption that young footy mad girls would be a guaranteed audience.

Yeah probably. This is often cited as the metric for success for the AFLW, participation rates. Though I thought the main driver for AFLW being rushed to market was the early purchase of Etihad by the AFL. I read somewhere that the government would commit more money to developing the Docklands provided the AFL invest in women's footy?

I noticed one of the commentators on the cricket coverage the other day would not say "3rd man"...she just called it "3rd" :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gillette gets "woke"... shame their entire target market is men! It's on track to becoming one of the most downvoted vids of all time.

It’s just so stupid, I can’t see how they benefit from that?

Gillette gets "woke"... shame their entire target market is men! It's on track to becoming one of the most downvoted vids of all time.

I find it sad that any man would find this inspiring, empowering or motivating.

Masculinity is not toxic ... it is brave, powerful, empathetic and caring.

A minority of men commit s**t actions and to lump an entire gender in with those losers is pathetic.

Also notice how the "toxic" males in the ad are exclusively white and the "non-toxic" males are mostly black .... not only sexist but racist too ...

Bravo Gillette, Bravo!

Yeah probably. This is often cited as the metric for success for the AFLW, participation rates. Though I thought the main driver for AFLW being rushed to market was the early purchase of Etihad by the AFL. I read somewhere that the government would commit more money to developing the Docklands provided the AFL invest in women's footy?

You may be correct, even then it's a fair bet that in some form an elite womens AF league would've eventuated. There's too much market to dismiss the idea, there's a whole generation for which you could argue there is heavy interest among young girls who want to play footy and maybe one day play in the elite league.

You may be correct, even then it's a fair bet that in some form an elite womens AF league would've eventuated. There's too much market to dismiss the idea, there's a whole generation for which you could argue there is heavy interest among young girls who want to play footy and maybe one day play in the elite league.

It would have happened eventually but the Etihad purchase hastened it, subsequently we had many players clearly not ready for it (a lot in their very first season of football I think) and the product was probably not worthy of a professional sporting code. Not the players fault or the coaches, it will be far better when young girls now who play footy all their life get to the pro level.

Gillette: So can you show us some of your work?

Yeah sure.

8575194-6596225-image-a-54_1547595639737.jpg

Nice to see some common sense on here about this Gillette commercial! A mate shared it to me with no context (before I knew what it was about and the worldwide response) and straight away it just felt off. It's basically a generalisation of an entire gender with the examples used being an issue for BOTH genders. The bullying bit got me the most. Would argue it is a far greater issue for young girls and women amongst one another.

Oh look, Mr Strawman strikes again :rolleyes:
My point is, why is he so offended by the advert when it's not telling men to be women, it's trying to counter the current alt right culture of Blair Cottrells who think masculinity means bullying people and debasing women.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back