Society/Culture Feminism - 2017 Thread - Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and I answered your question by saying I know a lot of tradies personally and many more 2nd hand through friends who employ them ie have been introduced at the pub at their xmas party or Friday drinks or whatever.

I didn't say I have friends that have the same views as me at all - not sure where you got that from.

Many of the tradies I know are left wing (and "PC") yet you admit you know only one, yet my circle is less broad? OK then.

I don't really care about the dick measuring contest you seem intent on. Broadening your circle was not in reference to the amount, it was the type. You freely admited you only know 1 left wing tradie, that ain't a very broad circle then cos there are s**t loads of them around.

The majority wouldn't be. Only my personal experience as a tradie myself and the hundreds i've worked with in construction, workshops and offshore. Anecdotal, but I'm sure you know thousands that are.

http://oxfordstudent.com/2018/01/23/oxford-university-extends-maths-exams-improve-womens-grades/

"The University of Oxford has extended the length of Maths and Computer Science Exams from 90 to 105 minutes in part of an effort to help women achieve better grades, though the exam has stayed the same length and difficulty.

Students who took Maths and Computer Science in 2017 were given 15 minutes more to complete their papers than in the previous year, based on a decision by dons that the time pressure had a greater adverse effect on female candidates than it did on their male counterparts.

This comes after twice as many men as women received firsts in 2016, leading to the board of examiners suggesting that the department change its systems to improve women’s grades."

So, they're claiming that women don't work as well under time pressure as men. Seems a bit sexist.

Congratulations to Yvonne Simmons, Australian of the Year

“In addition to her role as one of the world's top scientists, Professor Simmons is an advocate for young girls who also want to pursue a career in science and technology.

"Throughout my career, I found people often underestimate female scientists," she said.

"In some ways for me that has been great, it has meant I have flown under the radar and have been able to get on with things. [But] I'm also conscious when a person starts to believe in what others think of them, that can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

"That is why I feel it is important not to be defined by other people's expectations of who you are and what you might be.”

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-...18-australian-of-the-year/9363206?pfmredir=sm

Congratulations to Yvonne Simmons, Australian of the Year

“In addition to her role as one of the world's top scientists, Professor Simmons is an advocate for young girls who also want to pursue a career in science and technology.

"Throughout my career, I found people often underestimate female scientists," she said.

"In some ways for me that has been great, it has meant I have flown under the radar and have been able to get on with things. [But] I'm also conscious when a person starts to believe in what others think of them, that can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

"That is why I feel it is important not to be defined by other people's expectations of who you are and what you might be.”

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-...18-australian-of-the-year/9363206?pfmredir=sm

Seems like a worthy winner. She's previously criticized the feminization of high school physics (to attract more girls) and seems more like an old school feminist.

Good to see a scientist win again. Maybe we're past the issue of giving it to political causes. David Morrison was the worst.
Seems like a worthy winner. She's previously criticized the feminization of high school physics (to attract more girls) and seems more like an old school feminist.
Not surprising. A lot of women in science and engineering loathe the fact people outside it assert the disciplines must change to attract more women. In many cases they were drawn to those studies because they weren't feminine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked this up. Remember reading the article and agreeing wholeheartedly

One of Australia’s top scientists has lashed out at the “feminisation” of the discipline at high school level, saying replacing maths with essays to get more girls taking physics had left many students “ill-equipped for university”.

Delivering the NSW Australia Day address in Sydney, world renowned quantum physicist Michelle Simmons said she was still seeing the long-term impact of curriculum changes in new students arriving at the University of NSW, where she leads the Centre for Quantum Computation and Communication Technology.

“What a disaster,” she said in an Australia Day address to be broadcast nationally on Thursday. “From the students coming I see little evidence that (the changes have) made any difference and, indeed, I see many students complaining that the physics curriculum has left them ill-equipped for university.”

She said the substitution of “formulae with essays” was “one of the few things that horrified me when I came to Australia” in 1999.​

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/hi...s/news-story/8a432da4bce81e4fb51d91da9bf7a98b

I’m all for seeing more girls in STEM from a young age.

Through equality of opportunity, sure. Problem is, the best statistics we have to date (studies in Scandinavia) where opportunity has been at it's healthiest, the division in nursing (more women, less men) and engineering (more men, less women) for example, has actually grown compared to other western nations where opportunity is not as plentiful.

Parents / teachers should be encouraging children to follow their passions, not left wing feminist journalist 'we must close the wage gap' BS, who I'm sure did choose the career aligned with their own passion. This situation could open up a new set of social issues, and is obviously littered with hypocrisy. The current PC culture is damaging.

Some of the reasons are intergenerational and just plain shitty lazy parenting so i feel for fat kids. Some adults are just slothfully lazy though and probably deserve to be a fat blob.

The Answer in the latter case: Get off your lazy fat arse and do some s**t.

Especially weekend warriors like yourself! :D
Mate I wish I was only weekends. I'm busier part-time than I EVER was in full-time. The expected output only drops a little (especially when you start getting senior in rank) but the time you have to do it drops considerably. Mad respect for chocos from me now. Wouldn't have said that 10 years ago!

Mate I wish I was only weekends. I'm busier part-time than I EVER was in full-time. The expected output only drops a little (especially when you start getting senior in rank) but the time you have to do it drops considerably. Mad respect for chocos from me now. Wouldn't have said that 10 years ago!

I did note your folder contributions have dropped the last 12 months :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back