Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Geez, things have become so ****ed up down there. The girls can't be objectified, but it's ok for the men. FFS!

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Geez, things have become so ****ed up down there. The girls can't be objectified, but it's ok for the men. FFS!

Even better, the girls who were replaced still get paid, despite not actually doing the job...

I can understand women supporting these policies. It gives them an unfair advantage. But men supporting them is like turkeys voting for Christmas. Do they really think they will get a root out of supporting this nonsense?

The men who ask me about the challenges I faced, and on occasion do face ask because they have daughters.
They’re awesome dads.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
From what I understand, there has been an increase of women in those positions.

There hasn't been much need for activism in those areas, because for some reason there wasn't as much push back for women entering those areas.

Maybe that's because they didn't lower standards and impose gender quotas to advantage women at the expense of men who were better qualified/suited for those positions, like what they've done with law enforcement, military, the fire department, the corporate world, and now STEM fields.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maybe that's because they didn't lower standards and impose gender quotas to advantage women at the expense of men who were better qualified/suited for those positions, like what they've done with law enforcement, military, the fire department, the corporate world, and now STEM fields.
Maybe.

Do you think there was ever a need for quotas?
I do. I think that there was a long period of time where women who were better qualified (but not suited) were overlooked for men. (because men were better suited).
I don't believe it happens in anywhere near the same capacity, if at all anymore.
But I think helping to remove the view that it's a male career, and entice more women into positions they are just as capable of is overall a good thing.

Finding a balance between turning it into a viable path for women, without disadvantaging men, is a very complex situation.

I think there should be more done to get men into nursing, teaching, veterinarian etc. I don't think I've seen any active campaigns, or advantages given to men for those positions.
But I also haven't really seen any push back either.

Possibly a controversial view in this thread...
Historically I think society has viewed women as not good enough for some positions, whereas some positions were viewed as not good enough for men.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast

It's kinda weird given they took away the employment of women but weren't the men something like 'fight progress managers'. It wasn't like they went like for like per se.

But yeah, huge overreach from the Bendigo city councilors and they made a fool of themselves on the national stage.

There are a lot of unpaid overtime hours in engineering. Quite a few of my friends enjoy their Instagram business off the back of their guy working 60-70 hours a week to get ahead.

Lots of long hours, lots of time away from home.

Not exactly family friendly.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
There are a lot of unpaid overtime hours in engineering. Quite a few of my friends enjoy their Instagram business off the back of their guy working 60-70 hours a week to get ahead.

Lots of long hours, lots of time away from home.

Not exactly family friendly.

True, this is why I got into sales, I’d work nights and weekends a lot and also be on call, s**t life.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree. Why didn't they want to do it?

Just because it was hard, or because it wasn't a job for women? Both, or other reasons?

Who knows? I wouldn’t think that bricklaying is highly sought after by anyone, it appears to be really hard yakka. So if a woman was competent and really wanted to do it and would earn good money from their employer I don’t think said employer would gaf her gender.

Think about it: women want quotas for highly sought after jobs in large corporations, not for dangerous, hard labour ones. Why do you imagine that might be?

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Which has of course already happened with military and law enforcement. When these fields lose their male exclusivity, a decline in performance and output is inevitable.
More female Cops is a good thing, stops a lot of police brutality. Female Cops don't react with testorone, they talk things through. Much better for the public.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who knows? I wouldn’t think that bricklaying is highly sought after by anyone, it appears to be really hard yakka. So if a woman was competent and really wanted to do it and would earn good money from their employer I don’t think said employer would gaf her gender.

Think about it: women want quotas for highly sought after jobs in large corporations, not for dangerous, hard labour ones. Why do you imagine that might be?
Is that true?

A poster earlier was complaining about its implementation in "direct combat roles" in the ADF. Isn't that dangerous and hard labour?

Is that true?

A poster earlier was complaining about its implementation in "direct combat roles" in the ADF. Isn't that dangerous and hard labour?
The ADF ads are filled with women, not because there is an even spread of men and women, but because the idea of there being such is worth a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back