Society/Culture Feminism - 2017 Thread - Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not in Sunday school hey..

The real word asks logical questions, based on fact. Your deluded world making your responses, make you look dumb.

Grow up.
I look dumb? How about some evidence for your accusation that Margaret Hamilton is a fraud?

Fraud is probably too strong a word. But Hamilton hasn't challenged the myth that has grown around the significance of her contribution to the Apollo program. She was one of 400,000 people who worked on the program. She was one of the 350 strong team from MIT Instrumentation Laboratory who worked on the Apollo Guidance Computer. People like Hal Laning, Richard Battin, Don Eyles are the real heroes.

By all accounts she was a talented coder but, contrary to some accounts, she did not invent the term 'software engineering' or make a leading contribution to the discipline.

Where do feminists stand on self defence issues like this one?

View attachment 740736
Every time people post these little "hot takes" or sound bites, the reality doesn't match the one-line summary.

Did he post any links to anything? Are these events even real?

Here are a few that piss me off...

In the UK they media keep referring to the current Ashes Series as the 'Men's Ashes'. The Ashes were first played for in 1877 by two teams composed of males. The obituary notice and burnt bails which are part of the history of the 150 year old contest originated from a contest between two sides composed of males. I do not wish to denigrate the women's game which has made fantastic strides in recent years but if they want to follow their male counterparts then have a Women's Ashes but leave the name The Ashes alone. Better still think up an original name to call the women's series and do not follow in male footsteps. I actually think using the term 'Ashes' to describe a women's competition is a tad denigrating as it suggests that women play in the shadow of men.

There is more to come as the feminist lobbyists want FIFA to change the World Cup to Men's World Cup as they do not like the title of their tournament being gender specific. If they succeed we will have a Men's World Cup and a Women's World Cup. It has been The World Cup since 1930 so leave it alone girls and like the cricketers find a distinctive and relevant name for your tournament. It all smacks of, if we have to have a gender specific title so do you which is an argument supported by a feminist aligned media.

Maybe my reaction to all this is pedantic but I would argue that it is no more pedantic than those who want to alter titles of historical significance just to suit some chauvinistic crusade.

Hasbro makers of the Monopoly board game have just released a female version. The new version is titled 'Ms Monopoly' and features a woman instead of the mustachioed man on the box and there is a female touch to the board itself. Female players will get 240 dollars when they pass go but male players will get the standard 200 dollars. Where is that equality? Where do women actually win any thing because if they do win the contest any losing male can say, 'you only won because you got a 20% advantage'. Surely the idea is to beat us males at our own game? I cannot believe that report is true, but apparently it is.

I am not sure how the feminist lobby will react to Ms Monopoly.

Last edited:

In the UK they media keep referring to the current Ashes Series as the 'Men's Ashes'. The Ashes were first played for in 1877 by two teams composed of males. The obituary notice and burnt bails which are part of the history of the 150 year old contest originated from a contest between two sides composed of males.
Who burned the bails and created the actual "Ashes"?

Rubbish. The environment in STEM has been pretty bad for women since maths was invented.

I have 3 hours of diversity and inclusion training this week.

Plenty of women in the company. Ive been here nearly 2 decades so Ive seen how many have had maternity leave. When they complain about earning less should the company just ignore the 2 or 3 years experience gap when deciding promotions and payrises and bonuses ?

4 years in 10 in the case of one of my fellow associates. So nearly half her time at the company.

Who should pay for the wage gap that exists there ?

Unmarried women without children earn more than the similar male version, on average I believe.

There aren't as many so the few that benefit from positive cultures turning you into a token symbol of virtue impacts the numbers more heavily.

I think the stat was that up to age 30 women earn more than men of the same age.

After 30 it starts changing quickly.

If this is about some idea that the moon landings were fake I'll be very disappointed

Why don't you answer the question?

The thing is, the hard work for the rockets used for the apollo missions into our middle atmosphere was done by women and men in Germany when they worked as slaves for the two nazis hired at the end of the war and took all the technology.

The rocket program in Germany, that the Americans took over, used slave labor, the Americans initially invested in the program to deliver nukes to Russia. The enemy of the two Germans in charge of the American program.

This woman's story would be more powerful if they taught the truth. She was exploited, the position of women exploited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don't you answer the question?

The thing is, the hard work for the rockets used for the apollo missions into our middle atmosphere was done by women and men in Germany when they worked as slaves for the two nazis hired at the end of the war and took all the technology.

The rocket program in Germany, that the Americans took over, used slave labor, the Americans initially invested in the program to deliver nukes to Russia. The enemy of the two Germans in charge of the American program.

This woman's story would be more powerful if they taught the truth. She was exploited, the position of women exploited.
If we are going down that angle then we need to talk about the Japanese medical experiments with Unit 731 that the US took all the findings for and forgot to lay war crimes charges over.

Women probably cut the sandwiches and made the tea as well.
Keep going, you're getting there.

A bunch of thirsty Australian women looking for an upper class English husband to get them out of here. Worked for one of them.
The Clarkes have never under-rated themselves, but it would have been extraordinarily optimistic even for them to think this would be a possible way of marrying off their kids' governess.

In the UK they media keep referring to the current Ashes Series as the 'Men's Ashes'. The Ashes were first played for in 1877 by two teams composed of males. The obituary notice and burnt bails which are part of the history of the 150 year old contest originated from a contest between two sides composed of males. I do not wish to denigrate the women's game which has made fantastic strides in recent years but if they want to follow their male counterparts then have a Women's Ashes but leave the name The Ashes alone. Better still think up an original name to call the women's series and do not follow in male footsteps. I actually think using the term 'Ashes' to describe a women's competition is a tad denigrating as it suggests that women play in the shadow of men.

There is more to come as the feminist lobbyists want FIFA to change the World Cup to Men's World Cup as they do not like the title of their tournament being gender specific. If they succeed we will have a Men's World Cup and a Women's World Cup. It has been The World Cup since 1930 so leave it alone girls and like the cricketers find a distinctive and relevant name for your tournament. It all smacks of, if we have to have a gender specific title so do you which is an argument supported by a feminist aligned media.

There's a simple solution to this. Eliminate the divisions between male and female sport. Have one competition where those women who are good enough make the Ashes team.

She morphyed from the Clarkes' governess to a music teacher after she married, sounded better.
You are confusing her with the woman who ended up marrying into the Clarke family.

You can bet the girls who presented the urn were flirting with the English cricketers in the hope they’d get interest.

The Ashes are a celebration of hypergamy.

You are confusing her with the woman who ended up marrying into the Clarke family.

You can bet the girls who presented the urn were flirting with the English cricketers in the hope they’d get interest.

The Ashes are a celebration of hypergamy.
Morphy was the Clarkes' governess.
She became a "music teacher" because slipping it to your host's governess was frowned upon among the English aristocracy.

Don't know, you started it with your pontifical and fundamentally incorrect pronouncements about a subject of which you obviously know nothing.
As is your wont.
All I said was the women who created the urn did so in the interests of flirting with the English cricket team. You seemed to pivot from claiming women did it to suggesting it was a stitch up by the host family. Weird.

On another note, what is with Geelong fans being split between bogans and insufferable tools with no middle ground? I imagine the latter are all former Grammar boys who spent their teen years buggering each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back