Society/Culture Feminism - Pt III

Remove this Banner Ad

How do we speed up the removal of low opinions based on being female?

When will the controversies around Brittany Higgins be a thing of the past?
The national opposition leader said rape victims are "trying it on".
When do we find it totally unacceptable to cover up rape in parliament house?

These aren't simply a difference of opinions, it's inequality.

I'm not sure how it can be sped up.

I'm not sure if rape and trying to cover it up will ever really be a thing of the past unfortunately.

Having said that I'm not sure anyone finds it acceptable either.

The rape and the cover up. I don't know a great deal about the case, but from the headlines that's what I gather happened?
What?
You heard about a woman being raped in parliament house... and that it was covered up... And you didn't even read about it past some headlines???

This is part of what I'm talking about. It's not really that important, because rape just... happens.
We still blame the victims for being victims. Male and female.

What?
You heard about a woman being raped in parliament house... and that it was covered up... And you didn't even read about it past some headlines???

This is part of what I'm talking about. It's not really that important, because rape just... happens.
Most people don't like to drown in misery. If you read every horrible story you glanced at in the headlines you'd go mad.

What?

You're cooked mate. You are trying very hard to get an argument going, so you can revel in your own righteousness. Enjoy.

That was why I questioned the CM86 quote of "With the influx of feminists on Bigfooty recently", a clumsy seque into an internet fight (so it appeared to me anyway)
That's fair. It was definitely insincere from me.

It's related to the sudden care that usually 'right wing' posters who would hate to ever be considered a feminist... suddenly are fighting for women's rights (only against the trans community).

You knew what I meant, so I didn't see the point in engaging with you when you pretended not to understand. Because I'm not looking for an 'internet fight'.
I'm actually frustrated with the bullshit that is being spread on these forums, and want to address it or see it addressed.

Not true at all. I actually think you were engaging in good faith. What am I wrong on, I'll correct it.
Your outrage that I didn't follow the Brittany Higgins story as closely as you feel I should have.

Edit: My saying headlines was a bit simplistic. I have/did read a number of brief articles on the topic, but would struggle to recall much of the facts past the headlines. It wasn't really something I wanted to give a great deal of time to past thoughts of 'Oh my that's really s**t', 'Bloody gov bastards no better than anyone else hey' and 'Great example for everyone in the workplace you fools'.

Last edited:
Your outrage that I didn't follow the Brittany Higgins story as closely as you feel I should have.
It's not outrage, it's frustration that your position and actions are all too common.

I over-emphasised it to convey that it shouldn't be the norm.

People looked at it as a non-event, a political issue, or they believed it was a "he said, she said affair". That's a quote from Dutton.

Again, my frustration is that your position is all too common.
My view is that it's because women aren't viewed as equal in our society. You don't view it that way, as I believe it feels like an attack on you, rather than something to reflect on.

It's not outrage, it's frustration that your position and actions are all too common.

I over-emphasised it to convey that it shouldn't be the norm.

People looked at it as a non-event, a political issue, or they believed it was a "he said, she said affair". That's a quote from Dutton.

Again, my frustration is that your position is all too common.
My view is that it's because women aren't viewed as equal in our society. You don't view it that way, as I believe it feels like an attack on you, rather than something to reflect on.

You feel I need to do some reflection? On my reading habits or my views on women? Both?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You feel I need to do some reflection? On my reading habits or my views on women?
A more general 'you'. But you're part of it.

You don't have to, and I don't expect you or anyone else to.
But...
I think people should reflect on why the rape of a woman in our Parliament house, that was covered up by our Government, while they protected the accused and attacked the victim (and her friends and family)... wasn't something they found worth looking in to.

But...
I think people should reflect on why the rape of a woman in our Parliament house, that was covered up by our Government, while they protected the accused and attacked the victim (and her friends and family)... wasn't something they found worth looking in to.
What would you like me to do about it? What are you doing about it considering you know more about this case then me?

But...

People can only care about a limited number of topics.

Not every topic is relevant to every person that they need, or want, to pursue every detail of the case.

What goes on in Parliament House is generally a long way removed from most people's day-to-day lives. Not wanting the details doesn't mean they're supporting it.

People can only care about a limited number of topics.

Not every topic is relevant to every person that they need, or want, to pursue every detail of the case.

What goes on in Parliament House is generally a long way removed from most people's day-to-day lives. Not wanting the details doesn't mean they're supporting it.
I don't want or expect everyone to pursue every detail of the case. I don't believe they're supporting it if they don't follow it.

I agree, people can only care about a limited number of topics.

I don't want or expect everyone to pursue every detail of the case. I don't believe they're supporting it if they don't follow it.

I agree, people can only care about a limited number of topics.

I doubt people reading the headline then not going searching for more detail are thinking it's fine, just not seeing the details as particularly relevant to their lives. That it happened at Parliament House would particularly weigh in to that, as generally I think people with little interest in politics think everything that goes on at Parliament House is a long way removed from their lives.

Not looking further in to it doesn't mean they're not thinking it's a bad thing, you don't need much in the way of details to make that call, and in many ways it was just yet another s**t thing that Morrison Government took no responsibility or leadership on.

I doubt people reading the headline then not going searching for more detail are thinking it's fine, just not seeing the details as particularly relevant to their lives. That it happened at Parliament House would particularly weigh in to that, as generally I think people with little interest in politics think everything that goes on at Parliament House is a long way removed from their lives.

Not looking further in to it doesn't mean they're not thinking it's a bad thing, you don't need much in the way of details to make that call, and in many ways it was just yet another s**t thing that Morrison Government took no responsibility or leadership on.
Yes. That's my problem with it.

Which bit?

People finding Parliament House generally a long way removed from their lives?
Not needing more than the headline to decide it's wrong?
Chalking it up as yet another mishandling by Morrison and co?
All of it. I'm not explaining it well, I think.

If a man was bashed in parliament house, more people would be interested in it than hearing a woman was raped, and it was covered up.

A woman being raped, being "yet another mishandling by Morrison" is a problem. And signals that women are still viewed as an underclass in our society.

Rape victims all around Australia, saw what happens if you speak out.
Almost every rape victim is terrified of telling anyone, for fear of repercussions.
On the highest level in Australia... it was shown that we are correct to fear it.

A woman was raped in parliament house. It was covered up. The alleged rapist was hidden, protected, paid... by taxpayers. The victim was attacked. Her friends and family were attacked. Her life was turned upside down. Even on these forums she's been called a grifter for coming out.

My opinion is that it should be something every Australian knows about, and demanded action on.
And because we didn't, and it's not even really known by many due to disinterest... it shows women are still viewed as an underclass in our society.
In my opinion...

All of it. I'm not explaining it well, I think.

If a man was bashed in parliament house, more people would be interested in it than hearing a woman was raped, and it was covered up.

A woman being raped, being "yet another mishandling by Morrison" is a problem. And signals that women are still viewed as an underclass in our society.

Rape victims all around Australia, saw what happens if you speak out.
Almost every rape victim is terrified of telling anyone, for fear of repercussions.
On the highest level in Australia... it was shown that we are correct to fear it.

A woman was raped in parliament house. It was covered up. The alleged rapist was hidden, protected, paid... by taxpayers. The victim was attacked. Her friends and family were attacked. Her life was turned upside down. Even on these forums she's been called a grifter for coming out.

My opinion is that it should be something every Australian knows about, and demanded action on.
And because we didn't, and it's not even really known by many due to disinterest... it shows women are still viewed as an underclass in our society.
In my opinion...

I disagree and think you're drawing conclusions you want to draw about people's views and motives that go far beyond reality.

How many times have politicians in general shown themselves to be self interested scumbags? No one needs details of this case to know that.

You're passionate about politics, that's great, many people aren't though and view anything related to Parliament House and what politicians are up to as fairly remote from their daily lives. Ideally people would be more politically engaged, but when people have so much other stuff going on at a personal level, can you really blame them for not wanting to pursue the details of every story they come across?

You believe the Higgins case is important, one that everyone should read. You're coming from that position and assuming because people don't take the time to read it they're tacitly supporting the behaviours, or view women in a certain way, which I think is a bridge too far.

Morrison had the opportunity to take some leadership in how this could (should) have been handled, and as he did in pretty much every other way, he failed dismally. The public responded by voting him out pretty comprehensively which says that people are fed up with what he and the current LNP stand for. That shows to me that people do care.

Influx? I haven't noticed this
Soooo many people desperately concerned about fairness for women. In women's sport.

CM was being facetious. Which is not a good way to kick off a conversation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back