Society/Culture Feminism - Pt III

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll just leave this here then, since my thread was ironically ignored. Male education isn't really being addressed by feminists but maybe it should, since they are all about gender equality. They do address men's mental health, or toxic masculinity. Very little on men's physical health. Education seems to be almost taboo.

=====================================================================

Since about 1985 there has been a gender education gap in favour of girls, that sees boys behind across the board, from remedial writing and reading, to college graduates. Boys might still do better in math. The other day I saw that even in Afghanistan there is the same roughly 60/40 split in college graduates.

We have managed to address men's health recently, including mental health, and that has been encouraging. But I still can't see anyone really discussing men's education. There have been books here and there written about it, some of which are taking the issue seriously, others are written in a provocative tone. Maybe once I've seen an article or a short discussion about it on TV.

So is it just not considered an issue? Or are we conditioned to seeing women only as needing help and therefore have overlooked this? I find it odd and also infuriating that even with the current state of play I hear more about assisting women in education, i.e. STEM or maths

There are a few reasons that I have read about or considered as to why the gender gap currently exists.

1. Gender bias. Most teachers are women, and supposedly the atmosphere of the classroom and/or the curriculum suits the female brain. I'm not sure how true this is. A recent female AOTY complained that physics was being 'verbalised' to encourage more girls to take an interest, and this has been suggested as a possible contributor in an article or two that I've read in the past.

2. Biology. Girls mature faster, does this extend to brain development? Maybe girls just get smarter earlier, so a Year 11 girl is as advanced as a Year 12 boy. This is just one reason that I thought of on my own.

3. Toxic masculinity. It's not as cool for boys to study as it is for girls.

4. Necessity. Men have societal privileges that might allow them to make a living or survive better without education.

5. History. Women have a history of being subjugated and are thus more motivated to make a go of education to escape that cycle.

6. IQ distribution. While the average IQ is the same, men have more IQ variance. This means more genius level brains, but also more mental ******ation.

I'm sure there are other reasons too. What's most concerning for me is that the issue isn't even being discussed or taken seriously in mainstream media.

Thank you.

PREMIERS 2021!

I'll just leave this here then, since my thread was ironically ignored. Male education isn't really being addressed by feminists but maybe it should, since they are all about gender equality. They do address men's mental health, or toxic masculinity. Very little on men's physical health. Education seems to be almost taboo.

=====================================================================

Since about 1985 there has been a gender education gap in favour of girls, that sees boys behind across the board, from remedial writing and reading, to college graduates. Boys might still do better in math. The other day I saw that even in Afghanistan there is the same roughly 60/40 split in college graduates.

We have managed to address men's health recently, including mental health, and that has been encouraging. But I still can't see anyone really discussing men's education. There have been books here and there written about it, some of which are taking the issue seriously, others are written in a provocative tone. Maybe once I've seen an article or a short discussion about it on TV.

So is it just not considered an issue? Or are we conditioned to seeing women only as needing help and therefore have overlooked this? I find it odd and also infuriating that even with the current state of play I hear more about assisting women in education, i.e. STEM or maths

There are a few reasons that I have read about or considered as to why the gender gap currently exists.

1. Gender bias. Most teachers are women, and supposedly the atmosphere of the classroom and/or the curriculum suits the female brain. I'm not sure how true this is. A recent female AOTY complained that physics was being 'verbalised' to encourage more girls to take an interest, and this has been suggested as a possible contributor in an article or two that I've read in the past.

2. Biology. Girls mature faster, does this extend to brain development? Maybe girls just get smarter earlier, so a Year 11 girl is as advanced as a Year 12 boy. This is just one reason that I thought of on my own.

3. Toxic masculinity. It's not as cool for boys to study as it is for girls.

4. Necessity. Men have societal privileges that might allow them to make a living or survive better without education.

5. History. Women have a history of being subjugated and are thus more motivated to make a go of education to escape that cycle.

6. IQ distribution. While the average IQ is the same, men have more IQ variance. This means more genius level brains, but also more mental ******ation.

I'm sure there are other reasons too. What's most concerning for me is that the issue isn't even being discussed or taken seriously in mainstream media.

Thank you.

PREMIERS 2021!
Nobody cares I'm afraid Lethality. I had to laugh yesterday viewing some of the stuff in my social media feeds regarding international women's Day. In particular a colleague of mine who posted pictures of her two beautiful daughters, lamenting how disadvantaged they are/ will be. The same two girls who do very well in school, in sport, win public speaking competitions, have been placed in academic extension classes, live in a home with a combined income of 225k +, have both parents commited to their success and wellbeing and re.universally liked and appreciated by their community. What bias and discrimination are they suffering from? What's holding them back? Seriously!!

Nobody cares I'm afraid Lethality. I had to laugh yesterday viewing some of the stuff in my social media feeds regarding international women's Day. In particular a colleague of mine who posted pictures of her two beautiful daughters, lamenting how disadvantaged they are/ will be. The same two girls who do very well in school, in sport, win public speaking competitions, have been placed in academic extension classes, live in a home with a combined income of 225k +, have both parents commited to their success and wellbeing and re.universally liked and appreciated by their community. What bias and discrimination are they suffering from? What's holding them back? Seriously!!
I think they can still suffer from bias, but I would not lament possible bias publicly under those circumstances. The most bias they might face is from working in construction or mining. There are other things which women can suffer from disproportionately like DV or rape, which is what the primary concern there should be

Being poor is far worse than being female, is what you're getting at.

It's more nuanced than that - it isn't a straight out thing of women getting paid less than men for doing same job - I've worked wages my whole life so have always been paid the same as my colleagues whether male or female- and people posting pics of their daughters saying they'll be disadvantaged with no context isnt accurate either

The wage gap though is structural for industries - it's why teaching, child care and nursing are underpaid - they are female dominated industries - that's what it's about

I don't care about CEOs and that high salary bullshit because a class context is more important but those previously mentioned industries are what it's about

It's more nuanced than that - it isn't a straight out thing of women getting paid less than men for doing same job - I've worked wages my whole life so have always been paid the same as my colleagues whether male or female- and people posting pics of their daughters saying they'll be disadvantaged with no context isnt accurate either

The wage gap though is structural for industries - it's why teaching, child care and nursing are underpaid - they are female dominated industries - that's what it's about

I don't care about CEOs and that high salary bullshit because a class context is more important but those previously mentioned industries are what it's about
Your second paragraph is wrong. It has nothing to do with being female. Its supply and demand. To many young people grow up wanting to be teachers, child care workers, nurses and policeman creating high supply of workers which means governments dont have to pay them much. If less people desired those jobs governments would be forced to put up the wages to ensure the positions are filled.

no one wants to be a miner living in the middle of the desert for half the year. So employers have to offer high wages to get the workers they need.

Being poor is far worse than being female, is what you're getting at.
Well that is true of course. Someone who is poor, male or female is at a significant disadvantage. However my point was more specifically that being a girl in 2022, especially when it comes to our education system is not a disadvantage. In fact your outcomes in many cases are better.

I work in education (primary) and it is my experience that award ceremonies are dominated by girls, as are the extension classes, music and the arts programs, debating, stem teams, leadership positions and so on. The only over representation of males tends to be at lunchtime detention and learning support. Yet we are often told at P.D sessions, staff meetings, in the media, in advertising and in the case I mentioned, by my colleague (who witnesses all of the above) that we need to do better, to encourage and give more opportunities to our girls. That they are somehow being pushed aside. It certainly isn't the reality at most co educational schools. Not anymore, those days are long gone.

I'm sure it's a thing in some places, but certainly not in my experience.

So was this the reply to your Facebook feed?

If not it should've been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WNBA player detained in Russia for trafficking hashish oil. Had no choice according to the The Guardian because WNBA players dont earn as much as NBA players.
I'd like to say I'm surprised to see the Guardian excusing the actions of a criminal, but I'm not surprised in the least.

hope we learn their names and where they work.

I remember a girl at work saying she did this with some friends to guys getting on the tram (cardboard with numbers instead of whiteboard). Thought it was absolutely hilarious, as did most others at work. At the time, I considered it amusing but not that funny, and somewhat unkind.

That was probably ten years ago. Doubt the reaction would be the same - attitudes are changing for the good - for most people anyway. Everyone having a camera helps.

what a bunch of absolute losers those guys must be

the whole process to think of that idea, think it's good enough to relay it to a mate, and then go through the process of actually going out to do it, is really quite astounding

what a bunch of absolute losers those guys must be

the whole process to think of that idea, think it's good enough to relay it to a mate, and then go through the process of actually going out to do it, is really quite astounding
That's the thing - we can all have dumb ideas - but there were plenty of breakpoints along the way here where "um, maybe not" should have happened.

WNBA player detained in Russia for trafficking hashish oil. Had no choice according to the The Guardian because WNBA players dont earn as much as NBA players.

Yeah that's an interesting take on the situation, but whatever works. Perhaps instead of writing articles like this they could buy tickets to WNBA games or even watch it on TV, that would actually be helping the players.

We both know that the article isn't actually saying that, but it's a poor article in the current climate. And the last part is just cringe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back