Review ******* festival of shite v crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I said, there is a distinct change of game plan as the 2017 one doesn't work anymore, we've change it to a contested high pressure tackle game plan....can it last for an entire season? I don't know.
Certainly worked against our guys because, not only were you competitive, but more organised as well.

Credit to Pyke who appears to have changed the plan when change was obviously required.

Nevertheless, I don't see the Crows going far this year, well I hope not anyway

While he's probably right, not ideal to have the brother of a current player posting this stuff on social media. Stop bitching to your bro, Steven. Especially when you've been shite.

They’ve picked the wrong guys for defence, that’s why. Right attributes, wrong mindset.

I thought that the West Coast game would have given them the belief in the system, but for some reason they keep shifting back to this bullshit half hearted crap where no one is pushing up to support other lines.

They shouldn’t have given two shits about Betts, Walker and the rest and just ran over the top of them. Instead, it was this “I’m scared” bullshit that pervaded this board before the game as well.

Well guess what? We lost anyway playing a timid as * style that didn’t take the game on.

You need players who are aggressive at the contest who attack the ball when it's there. Guys like Hartlett, Jonas, Houston, Clurey. We look the best when we have guys like Byrne-Jones pushing up into midfield to support in waves. Did anyone do that? I never saw it. And that meant that there was no ability to roll off and handball to players running past.

That's the reason why we dominated clearances but couldn't do s**t with them. No one from defence was coming past to help, because they were too concerned with 'beating their man'.

We need defenders who are going to take the game on. That's when we look the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ve picked the wrong guys for defence, that’s why. Right attributes, wrong mindset.

I thought that the West Coast game would have given them the belief in the system, but for some reason they keep shifting back to this ******** half hearted crap where no one is pushing up to support other lines.

They shouldn’t have given two shits about Betts, Walker and the rest and just ran over the top of them. Instead, it was this “I’m scared” ******** that pervaded this board before the game as well.

Well guess what? We lost anyway playing a timid as **** style that didn’t take the game on.

You need players who are aggressive at the contest who attack the ball when it's there. Guys like Hartlett, Jonas, Houston, Clurey. We look the best when we have guys like Byrne-Jones pushing up into midfield to support in waves. Did anyone do that? I never saw it. And that meant that there was no ability to roll off and handball to players running past.

That's the reason why we dominated clearances but couldn't do **** with them. No one from defence was coming past to help, because they were too concerned with 'beating their man'.

We need defenders who are going to take the game on. That's when we look the best.

The forward line is the far bigger problem. We are number 1 in the AFL for inside 50s, 13th for efficient inside 50.

If your the best clearance team in the game with the most inside 50s you shouldn’t be mid table.

We are scary reliant on Dixon and Gray. Particularly Dixon.

Time to look at this s**t again. This time, I'm gonna give you time stamps so you can follow what I'm talking about.

Q1

19:10 - Not sure that this was a free kick to Matt Crouch - in his back I guess from Powell-Pepper. But whatever. Of course it's Fisher who pays it.

18:42 - Can anyone explain to me why Byrne-Jones didn't bend over and pick up the ball here? If the Adelaide player was holding him back from doing so, it's a free kick. If he just simply stood there when a ball was accidentally kicked along the ground by Powell-Pepper, then that's s**t.

18:23 - Ryder couldn't even be bothered to jump and take a contested mark when he was in space against his opponent - if he had presented at the ball and took a contested grab it would have set the tone early. Instead, he palms it down...to a Crows player who is waiting in front. ******* soft.

18:18 - Good attack by Drew on Ellis-Yolmen catching him on the blind side. Ball spills out to Duursma...and ******* Sam Gray doesn't shepherd for him at all, instead sweating off for the handball receive. Ends up in a turnover. * you, Frodo. Don't you EVER berate a young player for not handpassing to you when you can't be bother setting a shepherd for him!

18:06 - Great tip intercept by Houston to disrupt the switch of play. Amon gets the resultant crumb and kicks a scrubber kick to Westhoff on the lead. If Westhoff was smart, he wouldn't have taken possession because Talia was right on his hammer and was tackling him as he did so. It would have been a free kick. Sadly, he's not smart. Ends up as a kick out of bounds by Marshall in the pocket. Nothing you could do there.

17:46 - I'm not sure why Houston thought it was a good idea just to send the ball back into the 50 without actually looking. The kick gets smothered anyway, but I'd like to know what his reason for this was, because it wasn't like Adelaide didn't have numbers back. He had Clurey and Drew waiting for the hand ball receive who could have assessed their options better. Luckily Burton was there to clean up the mess.

17:35 - Now, please go to this part of the game, and answer me this. What the * was Byrne-Jones doing waving away Powell-Pepper from giving Duursma a short option and not concentrating on making sure that Duursma wasn't put under pressure by the Adelaide player that Byrne-Jones wasn't paying any attention to (but he knew was there because he pointed to Powell-Pepper to pick him up)? He literally looks as though he's trying to defend Duursma's kick. Powell-Pepper was further away from Duursma and was stretching the ground - it was Byrne-Jones' job to set the block for Duursma so he could get around...but instead he's screaming for the s**t possession. Disgustingly selfish football.

17:14 - Drew should have went with the handball over the top to Powell-Pepper here. Peps is in clear space out the back of three Adelaide players and instead the ball gets smothered. Dumb.

16:29 - Marshall. * me. What the * was this kick? It was a stab pass to an Adelaide player. But what was even worse was the absolutely RIDICULOUS FREE KICK that was paid for incorrect disposal against Farrell. He literally picks up the ball and gets tackled and the ball spills out. He didn't throw it, it slipped out of his arm as he was trying to control it. You have to have intent to throw the ball. That is NOT incorrect disposal because he didn't have a prior opportunity. Don't listen to *head Russell, he's got no idea about the rules. This forward thrust should have been a goal, and instead we got nothing for it.

16:00 - This is where Burton does his hamstring. You can see him reach for it in the contest with Betts. Literally 4 minutes into the game. Shouldn't have stayed on the ground.

14:34 - Burton kicks around the corner to Westhoff who is bearing down on Laird with Hartigan on his hammer, but Westhoff can't even halve the contest.

13:45 - Time to retire Westhoff. If you can't judge a perfectly weighted kick by Amon and take an aerial mark under no pressure from anyone, you're a liability. He literally went underneath the flight of the ball and had to stretch behind to get hands to the ball.

13:00 - How come Farrell can halve a contest and our so called key forwards can't?

12:44 - I'm really not a fan of Lienert on the last line of defence. He takes too ******* long to make a switch and always does stupid s**t like dropping to his knees to take a mark instead of moving forward and catching it on his chest. This is when Burton comes off the ground.

12:24 - Broadbent fumbles a ball that ordinarily he'd take cleanly...rusty.

12:16 - Why does Lycett try to gather a ball that Motlop had covered?

12:00 - Marshall halving a contest. That's what we need from him.

10:30 - Excellent forward pressure results in a shot on goal by Rockliff.

9:09 - A s**t half-hearted attempt at a tackle by Amon on Murphy. Crap football.

8:49 - When you're switching the play, generally you're safe enough to kick it long, Clurey. We had a man free all on his own beyond the defensive 50 arc and if he had just kicked properly to Boak we would have been away.

8:10 - Duursma gets what I call a s**t clearance. Wines is a master of these. Any kick out of a stoppage where you don't know where the kick is going - that invariably winds up in a turnover, is a s**t clearance. And that's what happened here.

7:58 - Houston should have trusted Johnson to get there and brought the kick inboard a little more instead of heading for the boundary. I reckon Johnson would have Brown covered in a foot race.

6:35 - Mackay kicks a goal because our defenders can't get a body on him in traffic. Crap defending.

6:04 - We have two opportunities to score a goal - the first one is when Boak overcooks his kick to our forwards who were goal side of their opponents and the ball goes out of bounds. The second is the resulting turnover that ends up with Amon on the 50m arc on the run.

5:26 - Another riddle. Travis Boak gets the ball in the centre corridor. He looks up at the forward line. He kicks the ball from just beyond the centre circle to true centre half forward - a 40m kick. Can someone tell me why Justin Westhoff isn't close to this area of the ground and instead is seen about 70m away from the play, while Marshall is sandwiched between two Adelaide defenders around 60m away? Just retire, Justin. If you're not going to play properly and don't want to get hurt, * off. Seriously.

4:47 - Taila has no intention other than to get the ball out of bounds. Should have been a free kick for deliberate. Guess who? Leigh Fisher.

3:10 - If you wanted proof that Adelaide was playing a counter-attacking s**t style, look no further than the fact after a turnover at centre wing, they had 9 players either in or near their defensive 50 on 6 Port Adelaide players. Which means they weren't pushing up their players until they were deep in attack.

1:34 - Houston wouldn't have slipped if Fisher wasn't so ******* quick to call play on. I don't think he even went off his line.

Summary

It's impossible to roll off and play on at all costs when the opposition are keeping 3 extra players behind the ball all the time. It requires a level of precision and skill that we just don't have. If the AFL wants to encourage attacking football, they need to stop this sort of s**t from happening, because it turns the game into a contested slop and the equivalent of parking the bus.

However, if the opposition are keeping 3 extra players back, it means that we had 3 extra players that weren't getting involved in working hard to move the ball quickly. We need players who shepherd for one another, aren't concerned about racking up useless stats that go nowhere.

You know what we needed in that situation? Billy Frampton. Adelaide were keeping players back because they were worried about our speed, which made our speed redundant because we didn't have anyone they needed to worry about in the air. Yeah, we had great forward line pressure, but pressure is nothing but a means to an end, which is kicking goals.

But we did okayish - should have had at least two goals from the effort we put in.

Players I'd drop after that quarter: Westhoff

On to Q2.

Q2

19:55 - Excellent secondary effort from Ryder to tackle Matt Crouch, which results in a goal to Powell-Pepper. That's what we need from the primary ruck. Rozee doing some nice shepherding work for the goal as well.

19:35 - What was Lycett doing coming up to the centre square? If we had won the centre clearance, he would have been out of the play. I can't imagine that would be a coaching instruction, and if it was, it's a ******* dumb one.

19:10 - Ryder just can't trap the ball cleanly in front of goal - unlucky.

19:03 - Houston not getting behind the ball to pick it up and instead getting over the top of it. Broadbent shows him how it's done seconds later.

18:48 - Yep, * off out of the team Westhoff. Your inability to make a contest is ******* s**t. Leaving Marshall 3 on 1 all the time is ridiculous.

18:25 - Adelaide players would constantly have an arm around one of our players before they even took possession of the ball. If the umpires don't call that s**t, it's going to end up in the crap display we saw.

18:15 - I'm not sure if the kick by Matt Crouch was by luck or design that it went so high in the air. I'm gonna say luck, which is why Walker was able to mark it.

17:29 - How the * could Leigh Fisher, the cheating ******* campaigner, call Marshall's mark touched when he was so far away from the play and saw it from side on? He just guessed.

16:31 - Where was the handball out of defence? Why were our players constantly kicking dump kicks out of defensive 50 instead of using the players they had around them? Adelaide's pressure was good, but it wasn't THAT good.

16:32 - Another riddle: Talia takes an intercept mark in the centre square on Marshall. Byrne-Jones is in the corner of the centre square, but starts to move across to the centre to take up that position...however, Powell-Pepper is also moving to that position and is obviously going to get there before him. By the time Talia takes his kick, he spots up Ellis-Yolmen who leads to the position where Byrne-Jones was. ******* insane.

16:04 - The second, like it, is this: Why was Ryder 5m from the edge of the 50m arc when Ellis-Yolmen delivered his kick into our defensive 50, yet when Boak kicks the ball coming out of defence he's 15m away from it? Bearing in mind that the place Boak kicked to was exactly where Ryder had been not more than 10 seconds later? That * up ended as a goal to Atkins. Three Adelaide players by themselves and no Ryder to compete. ******* ludicrous. If he was moving back to the centre square because he thought we would concede a goal, I'd drop him and never play him again.

15:26 - Motlop calling for the ball from Duursma while hemmed on the boundary was stupid. Powell-Pepper was telling the kid to take the shot, and that's what he should have done. A potential score turned into nothing.

15:10 - These commentators are ******* s**t. I swear the goal review umpire just listens to the commentators and judges it based on what they say. The footage was inconclusive and Brown says as much, but for the review to come back that it was definitively a behind from that grainy as * footage and not umpire's call is ridiculous.

14:47 - Yet another fine example of team first football by Byrne-Jones. Instead of laying the block on his man for Howard to gather and dispose of the ball cleanly, he just lets him go past and put pressure on Dougal. And why? Because he wanted the cheap possession.

13:45 - Walker blatantly blocks Clurey from trying to mark the ball - he turns and ******* LOOKS at him before crashing into him because he knew the ball was going over his head...and gets paid the free. I always thought that if you took your eyes off the ball and looked at your opponent it was an automatic block in the marking contest. Un-*******-believable. Clurey says so too 'He's not even looking at the ball!' And if I see Dwayne Russell in person, I'm going to tell him that Walker is booed because he's a *******, and to not pretend that he speaks for us.

12:38 - Not sure why it's okay for Adelaide players to tackle our players when they are about to take possession, but when we do it it's holding the man. And Lynch DID take possession of the ball. Who was it again? Leigh 'I'm a rancid aborted fetus' Fisher. Ends up in a goal that shouldn't have been. At best it's a holding the ball, at worst you call it play on, you cheating ******* campaigner.

10:45 - Rozee knows how to finish.

10:23 - Another s**t forward 50 entry, this time from Duursma, to an Adelaide defender who is playing in front of their man. He had Johnson for the handball receive inside but nope, turning the ball over is a better option.

9:26 - Why was Powell-Pepper constantly playing behind Brown?

8:43 - Another s**t forward 50 entry, this time from Johnson, kicking the ball on the top of Westhoff's head so Talia could spoil it easily instead of out in front of him into space so he could mark it. I don't blame Westhoff for that.

7:20 - Rozee knows how to finish...but isn't a superstar. Yet.

6:35 - That souless * Lynch didn't deserve that goal. Pure ******* arse.

6:03 - ******* lazy by Drew not to pick up the ball and instead just soccer it at goals. The gods only smile on one redhead per game, Williem, and it was Lynch's turn.

5:40 - 4 Adelaide players on 2 Port players inside 50. Could have been a goal, but instead of Westhoff laying the bump on the Adelaide player and letting Johnson walk into goal, Westhoff instead peels off for a ridiculous handball receive and we cough up an easy score. This is a common theme in this game - players playing for themselves.

3:45 - Powell-Pepper soccers at goal - earns a point. This really wasn't a game for any structured system, that's for sure.

2:51 - I can't believe Johnson just didn't burn Talia for pace and get around him first before delivering to a ******* WIDE OPEN Westhoff. I didn't realise that it was Talia on him. That's ******* INSANE. ANOTHER goal gone begging. And why? Because Johnson is ******* lazy.

56% to 57% kicking efficiency to half time. That's how ******* s**t and scrappy it was.

Summary

Our team has this huge problem with playing team football. Everyone is looking after themselves instead of doing the team things like blocking, shepherding, laying bumps on opponents and making it easy for the ball carrier to do his job. When the pressure is on, the endeavour might be there, but the trust isn't.

Players I'd drop after that quarter: Westhoff, Johnson, Ryder

Time to look at this **** again. This time, I'm gonna give you time stamps so you can follow what I'm talking about.

Q1

19:10 - Not sure that this was a free kick to Matt Crouch - in his back I guess from Powell-Pepper. But whatever. Of course it's Fisher who pays it.

18:42 - Can anyone explain to me why Byrne-Jones didn't bend over and pick up the ball here? If the Adelaide player was holding him back from doing so, it's a free kick. If he just simply stood there when a ball was accidentally kicked along the ground by Powell-Pepper, then that's ****.

18:23 - Ryder couldn't even be bothered to jump and take a contested mark when he was in space against his opponent - if he had presented at the ball and took a contested grab it would have set the tone early. Instead, he palms it down...to a Crows player who is waiting in front. ******* soft.

18:18 - Good attack by Drew on Ellis-Yolmen catching him on the blind side. Ball spills out to Duursma...and ******* Sam Gray doesn't shepherd for him at all, instead sweating off for the handball receive. Ends up in a turnover. **** you, Frodo. Don't you EVER berate a young player for not handpassing to you when you can't be bother setting a shepherd for him!

18:06 - Great tip intercept by Houston to disrupt the switch of play. Amon gets the resultant crumb and kicks a scrubber kick to Westhoff on the lead. If Westhoff was smart, he wouldn't have taken possession because Talia was right on his hammer and was tackling him as he did so. It would have been a free kick. Sadly, he's not smart. Ends up as a kick out of bounds by Marshall in the pocket. Nothing you could do there.

17:46 - I'm not sure why Houston thought it was a good idea just to send the ball back into the 50 without actually looking. The kick gets smothered anyway, but I'd like to know what his reason for this was, because it wasn't like Adelaide didn't have numbers back. He had Clurey and Drew waiting for the hand ball receive who could have assessed their options better. Luckily Burton was there to clean up the mess.

17:35 - Now, please go to this part of the game, and answer me this. What the **** was Byrne-Jones doing waving away Powell-Pepper from giving Duursma a short option and not concentrating on making sure that Duursma wasn't put under pressure by the Adelaide player that Byrne-Jones wasn't paying any attention to (but he knew was there because he pointed to Powell-Pepper to pick him up)? He literally looks as though he's trying to defend Duursma's kick. Powell-Pepper was further away from Duursma and was stretching the ground - it was Byrne-Jones' job to set the block for Duursma so he could get around...but instead he's screaming for the **** possession. Disgustingly selfish football.

17:14 - Drew should have went with the handball over the top to Powell-Pepper here. Peps is in clear space out the back of three Adelaide players and instead the ball gets smothered. Dumb.

16:29 - Marshall. **** me. What the **** was this kick? It was a stab pass to an Adelaide player. But what was even worse was the absolutely RIDICULOUS FREE KICK that was paid for incorrect disposal against Farrell. He literally picks up the ball and gets tackled and the ball spills out. He didn't throw it, it slipped out of his arm as he was trying to control it. You have to have intent to throw the ball. That is NOT incorrect disposal because he didn't have a prior opportunity. Don't listen to ****head Russell, he's got no idea about the rules. This forward thrust should have been a goal, and instead we got nothing for it.

16:00 - This is where Burton does his hamstring. You can see him reach for it in the contest with Betts. Literally 4 minutes into the game. Shouldn't have stayed on the ground.

14:34 - Burton kicks around the corner to Westhoff who is bearing down on Laird with Hartigan on his hammer, but Westhoff can't even halve the contest.

13:45 - Time to retire Westhoff. If you can't judge a perfectly weighted kick by Amon and take an aerial mark under no pressure from anyone, you're a liability. He literally went underneath the flight of the ball and had to stretch behind to get hands to the ball.

13:00 - How come Farrell can halve a contest and our so called key forwards can't?

12:44 - I'm really not a fan of Lienert on the last line of defence. He takes too ******* long to make a switch and always does stupid **** like dropping to his knees to take a mark instead of moving forward and catching it on his chest. This is when Burton comes off the ground.

9:09 - A **** half-hearted attempt at a tackle by Amon on Murphy. Crap football.

8:49 - When you're switching the play, generally you're safe enough to kick it long, Clurey. We had a man free all on his own beyond the defensive 50 arc and if he had just kicked properly to Boak we would have been away.

8:10 - Duursma gets what I call a **** clearance. Wines is a master of these. Any kick out of a stoppage where you don't know where the kick is going - that invariably winds up in a turnover, is a **** clearance. And that's what happened here.

7:58 - Houston should have trusted Johnson to get there and brought the kick inboard a little more instead of heading for the boundary. I reckon Johnson would have Brown covered in a foot race.

6:35 - Mackay kicks a goal because our defenders can't get a body on him in traffic. Crap defending.

6:04 - We have two opportunities to score a goal - the first one is when Boak overcooks his kick to our forwards who were goal side of their opponents and the ball goes out of bounds. The second is the resulting turnover that ends up with Amon on the 50m arc on the run.

5:26 - Another riddle. Travis Boak gets the ball in the centre corridor. He looks up at the forward line. He kicks the ball from just beyond the centre circle to true centre half forward - a 40m kick. Can someone tell me why Justin Westhoff isn't close to this area of the ground and instead is seen about 70m away from the play, while Marshall is sandwiched between two Adelaide defenders around 60m away? Just retire, Justin. If you're not going to play properly and don't want to get hurt, **** off. Seriously.

4:47 - Taila has no intention other than to get the ball out of bounds. Should have been a free kick for deliberate. Guess who? Leigh Fisher.

3:10 - If you wanted proof that Adelaide was playing a counter-attacking **** style, look no further than the fact after a turnover at centre wing, they had 9 players either in or near their defensive 50 on 6 Port Adelaide players. Which means they weren't pushing up their players until they were deep in attack.

1:34 - Houston wouldn't have slipped if Fisher wasn't so ******* quick to call play on. I don't think he even went off his line.

Summary

It's impossible to roll off and play on at all costs when the opposition are keeping 3 extra players behind the ball all the time. It requires a level of precision and skill that we just don't have. If the AFL wants to encourage attacking football, they need to stop this sort of **** from happening, because it turns the game into a contested slop and the equivalent of parking the bus.

However, if the opposition are keeping 3 extra players back, it means that we had 3 extra players that weren't getting involved in working hard to move the ball quickly. We need players who shepherd for one another, aren't concerned about racking up useless stats that go nowhere.

You know what we needed in that situation? Billy Frampton. Adelaide were keeping players back because they were worried about our speed, which made our speed redundant because we didn't have anyone they needed to worry about in the air. Yeah, we had great forward line pressure, but pressure is nothing but a means to an end, which is kicking goals.

But we did okayish - should have had at least two goals from the effort we put in.

On to Q2.
Q2

19:55 - Excellent secondary effort from Ryder to tackle Matt Crouch, which results in a goal to Powell-Pepper. That's what we need from the primary ruck. Rozee doing some nice shepherding work for the goal as well.

19:35 - What was Lycett doing coming up to the centre square? If we had won the centre clearance, he would have been out of the play. I can't imagine that would be a coaching instruction, and if it was, it's a ******* dumb one.

19:10 - Ryder just can't trap the ball cleanly in front of goal - unlucky.

19:03 - Houston not getting behind the ball to pick it up and instead getting over the top of it. Broadbent shows him how it's done seconds later.

18:48 - Yep, **** off out of the team Westhoff. Your inability to make a contest is ******* ****. Leaving Marshall 3 on 1 all the time is ridiculous.

18:25 - Adelaide players would constantly have an arm around one of our players before they even took possession of the ball. If the umpires don't call that ****, it's going to end up in the crap display we saw.

18:15 - I'm not sure if the kick by Matt Crouch was by luck or design that it went so high in the air. I'm gonna say luck, which is why Walker was able to mark it.

17:29 - How the **** could Leigh Fisher, the cheating ******* campaigner, call Marshall's mark touched when he was so far away from the play and saw it from side on? He just guessed.

16:31 - Where was the handball out of defence? Why were our players constantly kicking dump kicks out of defensive 50 instead of using the players they had around them? Adelaide's pressure was good, but it wasn't THAT good.

16:32 - Another riddle: Talia takes an intercept mark in the centre square on Marshall. Byrne-Jones is in the corner of the centre square, but starts to move across to the centre to take up that position...however, Powell-Pepper is also moving to that position and is obviously going to get there before him. By the time Talia takes his kick, he spots up Ellis-Yolmen who leads to the position where Byrne-Jones was. ******* insane.

16:04 - The second, like it, is this: Why was Ryder 5m from the edge of the 50m arc when Ellis-Yolmen delivered his kick into our defensive 50, yet when Boak kicks the ball coming out of defence he's 15m away from it? Bearing in mind that the place Boak kicked to was exactly where Ryder had been not more than 10 seconds later? That **** up ended as a goal to Atkins. Three Adelaide players by themselves and no Ryder to compete. ******* ludicrous. If he was moving back to the centre square because he thought we would concede a goal, I'd drop him and never play him again.

15:26 - Motlop calling for the ball from Duursma while hemmed on the boundary was stupid. Powell-Pepper was telling the kid to take the shot, and that's what he should have done. A potential score turned into nothing.

15:10 - These commentators are ******* ****. I swear the goal review umpire just listens to the commentators and judges it based on what they say. The footage was inconclusive and Brown says as much, but for the review to come back that it was definitively a behind from that grainy as **** footage and not umpire's call is ridiculous.

14:47 - Yet another fine example of team first football by Byrne-Jones. Instead of laying the block on his man for Howard to gather and dispose of the ball cleanly, he just lets him go past and put pressure on Dougal. And why? Because he wanted the cheap possession.

13:45 - Walker blatantly blocks Clurey from trying to mark the ball - he turns and ******* LOOKS at him before crashing into him because he knew the ball was going over his head...and gets paid the free. I always thought that if you took your eyes off the ball and looked at your opponent it was an automatic block in the marking contest. Un-*******-believable. Clurey says so too 'He's not even looking at the ball!' And if I see Dwayne Russell in person, I'm going to tell him that Walker is booed because he's a *******, and to not pretend that he speaks for us.

12:38 - Not sure why it's okay for Adelaide players to tackle our players when they are about to take possession, but when we do it it's holding the man. And Lynch DID take possession of the ball. Who was it again? Leigh 'I'm a rancid aborted fetus' Fisher. Ends up in a goal that shouldn't have been. At best it's a holding the ball, at worst you call it play on, you cheating ******* campaigner.

10:45 - Rozee knows how to finish.

10:23 - Another **** forward 50 entry, this time from Duursma, to an Adelaide defender who is playing in front of their man. He had Johnson for the handball receive inside but nope, turning the ball over is a better option.

9:26 - Why was Powell-Pepper constantly playing behind Brown?

8:43 - Another **** forward 50 entry, this time from Johnson, kicking the ball on the top of Westhoff's head so Talia could spoil it easily instead of out in front of him into space so he could mark it. I don't blame Westhoff for that.

7:20 - Rozee knows how to finish...but isn't a superstar. Yet.

6:35 - That souless **** Lynch didn't deserve that goal. Pure ******* arse.

6:03 - ******* lazy by Drew not to pick up the ball and instead just soccer it at goals. The gods only smile on one redhead per game, Williem, and it was Lynch's turn.

5:40 - 4 Adelaide players on 2 Port players inside 50. Could have been a goal, but instead of Westhoff laying the bump on the Adelaide player and letting Johnson walk into goal, Westhoff instead peels off for a ridiculous handball receive and we cough up an easy score. This is a common theme in this game - players playing for themselves.

3:45 - Powell-Pepper soccers at goal - earns a point. This really wasn't a game for any structured system, that's for sure.

2:51 - I can't believe Johnson just didn't burn Talia for pace and get around him first before delivering to a ******* WIDE OPEN Westhoff. I didn't realise that it was Talia on him. That's ******* INSANE. ANOTHER goal gone begging. And why? Because Johnson is ******* lazy.

56% to 57% kicking efficiency to half time. That's how ******* **** and scrappy it was.

Summary

Our team has this huge problem with playing team football. Everyone is looking after themselves instead of doing the team things like blocking, shepherding, laying bumps on opponents and making it easy for the ball carrier to do his job. When the pressure is on, the endeavour might be there, but the trust isn't.

Players I'd drop after that quarter: Westhoff, Johnson, Ryder

Your observations really ram home how much of a problem coaching is.

References to players that should have been playing, players not sheparding or taking the game on all points to poor coaching.

They don't Shephard or take the game on because they don't feel like they have to.

Frampton wasn't playing because our coach is too dumb and timid himself to try and exploit an opposition instead of worrying about them.

We have serious issues and they start with a K.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019...FkAjgKhTS_H0PA3E3Ku-lPwbRhv1TehQEYzx4swCPKg9w

Good article, always enjoy their independent reviews of our games.

Howard may have a future as a forward, and until Charlie Dixon gets back, Hinkley may have to deploy him there to kick-start his offence.

I don’t think Motlop is a best 22 player at Port any more. If Brad Ebert or Ollie Wines were fit, Motlop would not get a look in. He was thrown a lifeline in one of the biggest home and away games of the season, and he played like a millionaire.

With Zak Butters on the sidelines this week for a rest, you have to wonder if Port would like their time over again. Motlop is on good money, but he is not worth it. It would’ve been better to play Butters and allow him to acclimatise to the pressure of a Showdown rather than invest time in what is amounting to a lost cause.

I liked the game of Sam Powell-Pepper, though he really needed to get his hands on it more early. He was one of the few who never gave up as the game wore on.

Nice game overall from Dan Houston, but that slip and cough up of the ball to Rory Sloane in the first quarter was horrific. Nice of the commentators to call him Karl Amon when it happened, so he can at least have the Shaggy defence – “it wasn’t me.”

Overall, I wouldn’t rate this as one of the best Showdowns I’ve seen. I’m sure Adelaide supporters will be rapt, as four points papers over any cracks a neutral like me may have. For Port fans, I’m sure they think it sucked. It didn’t, but it failed to reach highs other games between the clubs have. Maybe we’ve just been spoilt by them recently?

Time to look at this **** again. This time, I'm gonna give you time stamps so you can follow what I'm talking about.

Q1

18:42 - Can anyone explain to me why Byrne-Jones didn't bend over and pick up the ball here? If the Adelaide player was holding him back from doing so, it's a free kick. If he just simply stood there when a ball was accidentally kicked along the ground by Powell-Pepper, then that's ****.

18:18 - Good attack by Drew on Ellis-Yolmen catching him on the blind side. Ball spills out to Duursma...and ******* Sam Gray doesn't shepherd for him at all, instead sweating off for the handball receive. Ends up in a turnover. **** you, Frodo. Don't you EVER berate a young player for not handpassing to you when you can't be bother setting a shepherd for him!

17:35 - Now, please go to this part of the game, and answer me this. What the **** was Byrne-Jones doing waving away Powell-Pepper from giving Duursma a short option and not concentrating on making sure that Duursma wasn't put under pressure by the Adelaide player that Byrne-Jones wasn't paying any attention to (but he knew was there because he pointed to Powell-Pepper to pick him up)? He literally looks as though he's trying to defend Duursma's kick. Powell-Pepper was further away from Duursma and was stretching the ground - it was Byrne-Jones' job to set the block for Duursma so he could get around...but instead he's screaming for the **** possession. Disgustingly selfish football.

16:29 - Marshall. **** me. What the **** was this kick? It was a stab pass to an Adelaide player. But what was even worse was the absolutely RIDICULOUS FREE KICK that was paid for incorrect disposal against Farrell. He literally picks up the ball and gets tackled and the ball spills out. He didn't throw it, it slipped out of his arm as he was trying to control it. You have to have intent to throw the ball. That is NOT incorrect disposal because he didn't have a prior opportunity. Don't listen to ****head Russell, he's got no idea about the rules. This forward thrust should have been a goal, and instead we got nothing for it.

12:44 - I'm really not a fan of Lienert on the last line of defence. He takes too ******* long to make a switch and always does stupid **** like dropping to his knees to take a mark instead of moving forward and catching it on his chest. This is when Burton comes off the ground.

9:09 - A **** half-hearted attempt at a tackle by Amon on Murphy. Crap football.

8:10 - Duursma gets what I call a **** clearance. Wines is a master of these. Any kick out of a stoppage where you don't know where the kick is going - that invariably winds up in a turnover, is a **** clearance. And that's what happened here.

5:26 - Another riddle. Travis Boak gets the ball in the centre corridor. He looks up at the forward line. He kicks the ball from just beyond the centre circle to true centre half forward - a 40m kick. Can someone tell me why Justin Westhoff isn't close to this area of the ground and instead is seen about 70m away from the play, while Marshall is sandwiched between two Adelaide defenders around 60m away? Just retire, Justin. If you're not going to play properly and don't want to get hurt, **** off. Seriously.

3:10 - If you wanted proof that Adelaide was playing a counter-attacking **** style, look no further than the fact after a turnover at centre wing, they had 9 players either in or near their defensive 50 on 6 Port Adelaide players. Which means they weren't pushing up their players until they were deep in attack.

Summary

It's impossible to roll off and play on at all costs when the opposition are keeping 3 extra players behind the ball all the time. It requires a level of precision and skill that we just don't have. If the AFL wants to encourage attacking football, they need to stop this sort of **** from happening, because it turns the game into a contested slop and the equivalent of parking the bus.

On to Q2.

Janus, for your own good please stop and preserve your sanity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Summary

This sounds sadly similar to Daniel Motlop's twitt: players stopped playing what had been practiced in the preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back