Review ******* festival of shite v crows

P4Life

All Australian
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Q2

19:55 - Excellent secondary effort from Ryder to tackle Matt Crouch, which results in a goal to Powell-Pepper. That's what we need from the primary ruck. Rozee doing some nice shepherding work for the goal as well.

19:35 - What was Lycett doing coming up to the centre square? If we had won the centre clearance, he would have been out of the play. I can't imagine that would be a coaching instruction, and if it was, it's a ******* dumb one.

19:10 - Ryder just can't trap the ball cleanly in front of goal - unlucky.

19:03 - Houston not getting behind the ball to pick it up and instead getting over the top of it. Broadbent shows him how it's done seconds later.

18:48 - Yep, **** off out of the team Westhoff. Your inability to make a contest is ******* ****. Leaving Marshall 3 on 1 all the time is ridiculous.

18:25 - Adelaide players would constantly have an arm around one of our players before they even took possession of the ball. If the umpires don't call that ****, it's going to end up in the crap display we saw.

18:15 - I'm not sure if the kick by Matt Crouch was by luck or design that it went so high in the air. I'm gonna say luck, which is why Walker was able to mark it.

17:29 - How the **** could Leigh Fisher, the cheating ******* campaigner, call Marshall's mark touched when he was so far away from the play and saw it from side on? He just guessed.

16:31 - Where was the handball out of defence? Why were our players constantly kicking dump kicks out of defensive 50 instead of using the players they had around them? Adelaide's pressure was good, but it wasn't THAT good.

16:32 - Another riddle: Talia takes an intercept mark in the centre square on Marshall. Byrne-Jones is in the corner of the centre square, but starts to move across to the centre to take up that position...however, Powell-Pepper is also moving to that position and is obviously going to get there before him. By the time Talia takes his kick, he spots up Ellis-Yolmen who leads to the position where Byrne-Jones was. ******* insane.

16:04 - The second, like it, is this: Why was Ryder 5m from the edge of the 50m arc when Ellis-Yolmen delivered his kick into our defensive 50, yet when Boak kicks the ball coming out of defence he's 15m away from it? Bearing in mind that the place Boak kicked to was exactly where Ryder had been not more than 10 seconds later? That **** up ended as a goal to Atkins. Three Adelaide players by themselves and no Ryder to compete. ******* ludicrous. If he was moving back to the centre square because he thought we would concede a goal, I'd drop him and never play him again.

15:26 - Motlop calling for the ball from Duursma while hemmed on the boundary was stupid. Powell-Pepper was telling the kid to take the shot, and that's what he should have done. A potential score turned into nothing.

15:10 - These commentators are ******* ****. I swear the goal review umpire just listens to the commentators and judges it based on what they say. The footage was inconclusive and Brown says as much, but for the review to come back that it was definitively a behind from that grainy as **** footage and not umpire's call is ridiculous.

14:47 - Yet another fine example of team first football by Byrne-Jones. Instead of laying the block on his man for Howard to gather and dispose of the ball cleanly, he just lets him go past and put pressure on Dougal. And why? Because he wanted the cheap possession.

13:45 - Walker blatantly blocks Clurey from trying to mark the ball - he turns and ******* LOOKS at him before crashing into him because he knew the ball was going over his head...and gets paid the free. I always thought that if you took your eyes off the ball and looked at your opponent it was an automatic block in the marking contest. Un-*******-believable. Clurey says so too 'He's not even looking at the ball!' And if I see Dwayne Russell in person, I'm going to tell him that Walker is booed because he's a *******, and to not pretend that he speaks for us.

12:38 - Not sure why it's okay for Adelaide players to tackle our players when they are about to take possession, but when we do it it's holding the man. And Lynch DID take possession of the ball. Who was it again? Leigh 'I'm a rancid aborted fetus' Fisher. Ends up in a goal that shouldn't have been. At best it's a holding the ball, at worst you call it play on, you cheating ******* campaigner.

10:45 - Rozee knows how to finish.

10:23 - Another **** forward 50 entry, this time from Duursma, to an Adelaide defender who is playing in front of their man. He had Johnson for the handball receive inside but nope, turning the ball over is a better option.

9:26 - Why was Powell-Pepper constantly playing behind Brown?

8:43 - Another **** forward 50 entry, this time from Johnson, kicking the ball on the top of Westhoff's head so Talia could spoil it easily instead of out in front of him into space so he could mark it. I don't blame Westhoff for that.

7:20 - Rozee knows how to finish...but isn't a superstar. Yet.

6:35 - That souless **** Lynch didn't deserve that goal. Pure ******* arse.

6:03 - ******* lazy by Drew not to pick up the ball and instead just soccer it at goals. The gods only smile on one redhead per game, Williem, and it was Lynch's turn.

5:40 - 4 Adelaide players on 2 Port players inside 50. Could have been a goal, but instead of Westhoff laying the bump on the Adelaide player and letting Johnson walk into goal, Westhoff instead peels off for a ridiculous handball receive and we cough up an easy score. This is a common theme in this game - players playing for themselves.

3:45 - Powell-Pepper soccers at goal - earns a point. This really wasn't a game for any structured system, that's for sure.

2:51 - I can't believe Johnson just didn't burn Talia for pace and get around him first before delivering to a ******* WIDE OPEN Westhoff. I didn't realise that it was Talia on him. That's ******* INSANE. ANOTHER goal gone begging. And why? Because Johnson is ******* lazy.

56% to 57% kicking efficiency to half time. That's how ******* **** and scrappy it was.

Summary

Our team has this huge problem with playing team football. Everyone is looking after themselves instead of doing the team things like blocking, shepherding, laying bumps on opponents and making it easy for the ball carrier to do his job. When the pressure is on, the endeavour might be there, but the trust isn't.

Players I'd drop after that quarter: Westhoff, Johnson, Ryder

Janus sometimes things happen. Like when you walk into the Adelaide Oval and you go to scan your entrance ticket and you have the barcode up the wrong way. You didnt mean for that to happen but unfortunately it did. The difference between you and the Port players, is that they don't publicly lambast you and suggest you are ****** They dont want you to have to lose your job. They don't even suggest you turn around and go home. So maybe next time you make a mistake let us all know, so we can rip strips off you publicly.
What once was an interesting and enjoyable forum is now becoming anything but that due to your negativity.

Handyandy

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2005
Jinhua, Zhejiang, China
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
So the gonzo looking cheat was leigh fisher. He gave the crows a real leg up early with a lot of dodgy frees in front of goals. I am convinced the afl is rigged & that they have a few cheat umpires on the take, who they direct to influence the outcome of games, so the afl can ensure the high draw card teams make the 8. Wc get brilliant home town umpiring every week. We had home town umpiring once in 2 seasons against Brisbane in round 1. We never get home crowd umpiring favouritism, but the afl darling clubs get it every week. And it's always one cheating maggot who puts us down early. I also thought crows defenders were given a lot of license

Here's the problem as I see it,

We named this team:
B:
Jarrod Lienert ~ Tom Clurey ~ Dan Houston
HB: Ryan Burton ~ Dougal Howard ~ Darcy Byrne-Jones
C: Xavier Duursma ~ Willem Drew ~ Karl Amon
HF: Todd Marshall ~ Justin Westhoff ~ Aidyn Johnson
F: Sam Gray ~ Paddy Ryder ~ Connor Rozee
Fol: Scott Lycett ~ Sam Powell-Pepper ~ Travis Boak

I/C: Matthew Broadbent ~ Steven Motlop ~ Tom Rockliff ~ Kane Farrell

We played this team:
B:
Jarrod Lienert ~ Tom Clurey ~ Dan Houston
HB: Matthew Broadbent ~ Dougal Howard ~ Darcy Byrne-Jones ~ Aidyn Johnson ~ Steven Motlop ~ Kane Farrell
C: Xavier Duursma ~ Willem Drew ~ Karl Amon ~ Sam Gray
HF: ... ~ Todd Marshall ~ ...
F: ... ~ Connor Rozee ~ ...
Fol: Scott Lycett ~ Paddy Ryder ~ Sam Powell-Pepper ~ Travis Boak

I/C: Justin Westhoff ~ Tom Rockliff ~ ... ~ Ryan Burton (inj)

It wasn't a winning strategy.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Hi all, I've read through the last few pages with interest. I rarely venture over this way and come over with no intention of gloating - most of us Crows supporters are well aware of where our team really is at the moment (and the challenges ahead).

Our game style has changed significantly over the past month or so. It seems that we have gone for a Fremantle styled defensive crash and bash. I'm not sure how sustainable it is, or how it will go on the MCG. I think we might struggle greatly implementing it against quick teams like Brisbane. So definitely not getting ahead of ourselves.

For you guys, I think you have a few issues. One is clearly Hinkley. He's not great. The other is Voss. I've seen him coach and I've spoken to him directly about football and tactics and coaching etc... He is not sharp. He reminded me of Andrew Jarman whose understanding of football is exceptionally poor (just talks in general waffle and cliches).

What I read on your thread is almost a carbon copy of what you see in Crows forums after we lose. Lots of questions surrounding coaching, team selections etc...and lots of criticism of certain players. Apart from the fully insane Janus, it is very much the same as our board.

For you guys to go forwards, I think you really need to forget some of your older players and pump the games in to your next generation. I suspect your trading/recruiting in the last 12 months has been first class - getting Rozee was a master stroke. Forget Motlop, forget Dixon etc... get your next group ready. They have serious talent and playing the others will only hold them back in their development.

Best of luck moving forwards. I'm looking forwards to yet another close Showdown in a few weeks time.

This should be the 2020 membership slogan.

Nah just give us all a free microwave with our memberships.

And the slogan will be...

“The hottest ticket in town”

————
The map is not the terrain.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Janus sometimes things happen. Like when you walk into the Adelaide Oval and you go to scan your entrance ticket and you have the barcode up the wrong way. You didnt mean for that to happen but unfortunately it did. The difference between you and the Port players, is that they don't publicly lambast you and suggest you are ****** They dont want you to have to lose your job. They don't even suggest you turn around and go home. So maybe next time you make a mistake let us all know, so we can rip strips off you publicly.
What once was an interesting and enjoyable forum is now becoming anything but that due to your negativity.
Is this valid only for Janus? If not, is the prohibition restricted to players? Can I still complain about umpires, coaches, chief-officers, board members, people at the AFL HQ, and other BigFooty posters?

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Imagine a poster wanting to add something to a conversation instead trolling.

I could come in and gloat and be a tool, or I could add something useful. I chose the latter.
Oh well, I guess some people prefer to be tools.

I think getting Rozee was the best move of any team in the trade/draft period. He's going to be a genuine star. At the time I thought you were mad giving up Polec and Wingard, but it looks more and more like an inspired decision. Given we didn't move up in the draft, I'm also happy with our recruits. Jones and McHenry are going to be good.

I'm more than happy when we win and more than happy for Port to lose. But I also love Showdowns and am happy to see both teams competitive (as long as Hinkley remains coach that is).

Anyway, on to next week it is.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Hi all, I've read through the last few pages with interest. I rarely venture over this way and come over with no intention of gloating - most of us Crows supporters are well aware of where our team really is at the moment (and the challenges ahead).

Our game style has changed significantly over the past month or so. It seems that we have gone for a Fremantle styled defensive crash and bash. I'm not sure how sustainable it is, or how it will go on the MCG. I think we might struggle greatly implementing it against quick teams like Brisbane. So definitely not getting ahead of ourselves.

For you guys, I think you have a few issues. One is clearly Hinkley. He's not great. The other is Voss. I've seen him coach and I've spoken to him directly about football and tactics and coaching etc... He is not sharp. He reminded me of Andrew Jarman whose understanding of football is exceptionally poor (just talks in general waffle and cliches).

What I read on your thread is almost a carbon copy of what you see in Crows forums after we lose. Lots of questions surrounding coaching, team selections etc...and lots of criticism of certain players. Apart from the fully insane Janus, it is very much the same as our board.

For you guys to go forwards, I think you really need to forget some of your older players and pump the games in to your next generation. I suspect your trading/recruiting in the last 12 months has been first class - getting Rozee was a master stroke. Forget Motlop, forget Dixon etc... get your next group ready. They have serious talent and playing the others will only hold them back in their development.

Best of luck moving forwards. I'm looking forwards to yet another close Showdown in a few weeks time.
This kind of common sense coming from the other side saddens me a bit. We are not even worthy of banter! The rivalry is not dead, but Port is trying to kill it...

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does anyone remember early in Saturday’s match when one of the Rory’s or Riley’s had possession of the ball inside our 50 metre arc, right on the boundary, and Sam Gray came to him? At the absolute minimum all Gray had to do was put enough body on him to force him over the line.
Instead of trying to wrap him up in a tackle Gray bumped him front on, bounced off him, fell over, and the Rory/Riley ran the ball out of defence.
This is the sort of “forward line defensive pressure” we’re currently sabotaging our own attack for.

Last edited:

PAFC27

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I could come in and gloat and be a tool, or I could add something useful. I chose the latter.
Oh well, I guess some people prefer to be tools.

I think getting Rozee was the best move of any team in the trade/draft period. He's going to be a genuine star. At the time I thought you were mad giving up Polec and Wingard, but it looks more and more like an inspired decision. Given we didn't move up in the draft, I'm also happy with our recruits. Jones and McHenry are going to be good.

I'm more than happy when we win and more than happy for Port to lose. But I also love Showdowns and am happy to see both teams competitive (as long as Hinkley remains coach that is).

Anyway, on to next week it is.
Adding something useful would be not just use different words to regurgitate the same stuff written all over this thread. Probably worth the cheap likes, though

P4Life

All Australian
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is this valid only for Janus? If not, is the prohibition restricted to players? Can I still complain about umpires, coaches, chief-officers, board members, people at the AFL HQ, and other BigFooty posters?

So you believe that diatribe that he posts is simply a complaint?
And here I was thinking you were smarter than that.

Does anyone remember early in Saturday’s match when one of the Rory’s or Riley’s had possession of the ball inside our 50 metre arc, right on the boundary, and Sam Gray came to him? At the absolute minimum all Gray had to do was put enough body on him to force him over then line.
Instead of trying to wrap him up in a tackle Gray bumped him front on, bounced off him, fell over, and the Rory/Riley ran the ball out of defence.
This is the sort of “forward line defensive pressure” we’re currently sabotaging our own attack for.

I think this was in the first minute of the game. Set the tone for the evening. Terrible decision to bump instead of tackle.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
So you believe that diatribe that he posts is simply a complaint?
And here I was thinking you were smarter than that.

Thanks, but I am not better than that. I am still a rookie around here.

Janus is expressing his opinions, which he has every right to do. There are way more negativity come from a zillion other posters around here, including myself. After all, Port is losing and playing bad, and we are not quite enjoying that. Negativity is expected.

Now, you can ignore what he says or acknowledge it. If you acknowledge it, you can pay attention to it and try to understand his point or simply ask him to shut up without thinking about it.

Janus is not merely complaing. You are absolutely right on that. He even has put the time before his points, so everyone can watch the plays and judge what he is saying. He is expecting disagreement!

On the other hand, you, apparently, are not.

Does anyone remember early in Saturday’s match when one of the Rory’s or Riley’s had possession of the ball inside our 50 metre arc, right on the boundary, and Sam Gray came to him? At the absolute minimum all Gray had to do was put enough body on him to force him over the line.
Yep. I remember.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think this was in the first minute of the game. Set the tone for the evening. Terrible decision to bump instead of tackle.

We seem to be that team where the mood of the team is set by an early setback or good bit of play. Last week it was Ryder dropping that mark in the first minute against Collingwood.

Sep 18, 2011
here
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea / Ferrari F1
Does anyone remember early in Saturday’s match when one of the Rory’s or Riley’s had possession of the ball inside our 50 metre arc, right on the boundary, and Sam Gray came to him? At the absolute minimum all Gray had to do was put enough body on him to force him over then line.
Reminds me of this effort from Motlop involving Rory/Riley...

Once is a mistake, twice is a choice. If you scan your barcode incorrectly, you don’t keep trying it exactly the same way. You do things differently the next time.

If I make a mistake, you better believe I get told about it by people.

Last edited:
Back