Review ******* festival of shite v crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure Burton's 15 kicks with 3 or 4 of them going inside 50, as he averaged this year, would have made that much of a difference. We weren't taking that many marks inside 50 in those first 3 quarters and we weren't kicking straight. Sure if he hit Rozee 3 times with a pass in a reasonable spot he probably would have converted, but I doubt many of the other players would have.

Our expected score was 90 and actual 68. The crows was 93 and actual was 88. says a fair bit right there.

Burton has the speed and the leg to beat Adelaide’s defenders back to our forward half.

This nicely sums up our night. The ball was a piece of soap for a big chunk of the evening, so errors by hands in catching the ball were going to happen, even what looked like simple marks. So no surprise by Rockliff.

[Its why Thursday night I thought OK we dont have Frampton but if Hoff plays forward, not on the wing, along with Ryder and Marshall we can kill the contest because big dry weather type marks wont be easy to take by their defenders.]

Rockliff then tries a dopey dry weather expansive over the head handball rather than taking a hit or trying to keep it in front of him or even push it back towards the kicker. Motlop doesn't put his head over the ball to at least lock the ball in. Sloane goes direct at the ball and taps it to Lynch. If we got that tap to one of our players the kick would have been smothered. We seem to be so easy to read in those pack type situations. so many times our handballs and kicks were smothered or stolen.

Then when the ball is wet and slippery, and a piece of soap and kicking efficiency is down for both teams does Clurey sit so far off Tex. What was he protecting? The balance of probabilities was that a hack kick was going to drop short not sail 50m - there wasn't any gale blowing.

Lots of errors were made by both sides, but we made many more of the dumb ones.

I don’t believe it was as soapy as they made it look. I thought on numerous occasions they were afraid to grab Eg HtB easier to fumble just before contact

I don’t believe it was as soapy as they made it look. I thought on numerous occasions they were afraid to grab Eg HtB easier to fumble just before contact
There were lots of occasions where simple looking marks were dropped and players fumbled the ball on a handball received and it fell behind them as they were running and it was a turnover, and no tackle was coming when they received the ball. It happened to both sides.

Champion data tables. Westhoff and Marshall plenty of red. 16 hit outs to advantage over 9 helped us win clearances by 17, but we didn't use that advantage.

1557740120315.png

1557740303500.png

A bit fuzzy so blew this us. Our Expected score was 90 actual was 68, Crows Expected score was 93 actual was 88. Both teams had 28 shots on goal, both registered 23 scores.

1557740463430.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't blame Motlop here, Rockliff fumble it first.
Motlop had the ball right at him. He could have tapped, soccered it forward, if he didn't want to grab it. He didn't. He didn't bump either, and ended up in a position he couldn't do nothing to avoid the ball being kicked back into our D50.

Rockliff made a mistake, but Motlop took all the wrong decisions after it.

Motlop had the ball right at him. He could have tapped, soccered it forward, if he didn't want to grab it. He didn't. He didn't bump either, and ended up in a position he couldn't do nothing to avoid the ball being kicked back into our D50.

Rockliff made a mistake, but Motlop took all the wrong decisions after it.
Maybe, but If Rockliff took possession in the first place the outcome in my eyes could of been competently different.

Maybe, but If Rockliff took possession in the first place the outcome in my eyes could of been competently different.
It most probably would, but one can only play on what has happened. Motlop should have played better the mess Rockliff made.

The mess in the first place was the uncontested dropped mark.
It is. I don't understand your point. There is no controversy on this.

Do you think players should simply stop playing because a teammate made a mistake? "You messed up; you clean it. I have nothing to do with your sh*t!" Is that it?

Q3

REH - Matt Crouch was on the ground to start the second half - he must have gone off in the second quarter then tried it out in the second half.

19:49 - Lycett has the opportunity to put a knee through Keath and instead short steps and allows him to take an easy mark. It would have set the tone early, but once again, we've got someone who is more worried about getting hurt than crashing a pack.

19:36 - Better attack on the contest around the ground by Ryder.

19:10 - Go to this part of the game...and watch what s**t forward pressure looks like. Johnson goes up for the mark/spoil, and for some reason Farrell decides to hit the contest as well - and then this happens:

1557747959430.png

Three players surrounding one player...all looking at the ball instead of covering the outlet. How many games experience are in this quartet? 41. And people wonder why the Crows found it so easy to move the ball out of defence. You want to know why Keath won the Showdown Medal? Because he kept shape while our young players did this sort of thing. Why wasn't Marshall covering Keath? Why wasn't Farrell? These things no one can answer...but it's because of this mess that Adelaide was able to waltz the ball from our attacking 50 to their attacking 50 because everyone else had to slide over to cover the man that either Marshall or Farrell could have prevented getting the ball.

18:30 - Dropped mark by Johnson with Keath on his hammer. Was this a bit of payback from Westhoff for the s**t delivery Johnson gave him earlier? I'm quite certain that Westhoff could have given him a bit more width. Whatever the case, Johnson has enough time to shake his head a bit instead of giving chase. Shouldn't have dropped it in the first place.

17:42 - Here's the play of the game. Marshall halves the contest, and it spills to Powell-Pepper, who spots Lycett and thinks 'Cool, Scott will block for me and I'll use him as a screen to get Mackay and Ellis-Yolmen out of the way.' But instead of Lycett moving across to create a block for Powell-Pepper, he instead runs backward and blocks Johnson instead. Are these guys allergic to shepherding for their teammates or something?

17:35 - To make matters even WORSE, this was the Motlop 'bump' play. Enough has been said about his lame attack on the ball - disgraceful. But why doesn't Marshall shepherd Laird? He just assumes Rockliff will take the mark and pushes forward instead of doing the team thing. Needs to be aware of his surroundings and should have known Rocky ****ed up as soon as he saw Laird take off. This results in a goal to Walker that was entirely constructed by Port Adelaide *ups under zero pressure.

We are -12 in ground ball gets at this point of the game. That's very, very poor.

16:17 - After a 50m penalty on Rockliff, Marshall marks the ball at 45m. Instead of taking the shot, he decides to stab pass a half volley to Broadbent who is on the run. The idea was good, the execution was s**t. Just a little more power and it would have been a good play. Broadbent is forced to handball to Ryder - the old adage 'don't handball to a ruck' is true here because Ryder fumbles it and we don't get a score. Here's the strong tip Todd: when you've got an opportunity to kick a goal, you go for it. Luckily, the resultant turnover is mopped up by Howard and it ends with the first bit of clean ball we have for the night which ends in a goal to Amon.

15:02 - Nice centre clearance from Powell-Pepper. I like Ryder as the centre ruck over Lycett. Ends with a snap on goal by Gray that just doesn't bend far enough, but no complaints about this passage of play.

14:11 - Another good bit of play that ends with a s**t decision by Farrell to take a shot on goal instead of getting the ball in quick to Westhoff on Brad Crouch in the goal square. That would have put us 15 points down, 33 to 48. We had momentum at this point of the game.

14:00 - Sam Gray takes a nice intercept mark, and finally someone decides to roll off and play on. Does he hit up Amon, who is calling for the ball 15m away with 4 Adelaide players at least 10 m away surrounding him? Nope. He decides to bomb it long to the 4 Crows players on 3 Port players with another 3 Adelaide players the closest support and 2 Port players coming in. That means once the ball got to the contest, it would have been a 7 on 5. Westhoff gives a facepalm at this point because it's like 'WTF?' - at this point, I'm not blaming him at all for these s**t decisions. (I think he was hit on the head, but I'm sticking to my story). Luckily it ends as a boundary throw in.

13:21 - Someone must have spoken to Byrne-Jones about his inability to lay blocks for teammates, because he actually executes one here for Clurey. Good job, Darcy. That's what we want to see.

13:08 - Talia must have felt like the big man on campus standing Todd Marshall.

13:00 - Rockliff - Why do a blind snap on goal inside 50 when you've got Sam Gray, Powell-Pepper and Duursma to your right for the quick handball?? Why???

12:48 - One of the things Adelaide players would do all night that our players wouldn't do was continually work to provide options. Rockliff's man gets the handball receive because he works to free space and Rockliff doesn't go with him because the ball is out of his area, right? Wrong.

12:31 - This isn't a free kick to Ryder:

1557751880970.png

Apparently you can use your legs to take someone out of the contest by tripping them and it's okay, just because Ryder outbodied you. A joke. Why wasn't there an umpire behind the contest here? All the Port players are like 'Where's the free?'. Nope shitheads, it's play on apparently. No mention of it from the shithouse commentators either.

12:19 - This also wasn't a free kick to Drew:

1557752290702.png

Over the shoulder. Nope, play on.

11:27 - s**t play from Drew to ask for the handball receive from a guy that is obviously being tackled with his arms pinned. He moves forward in the stoppage, Brad Crouch, his direct opponent, moves the other way...and gets a clear shot on goal that luckily misses.

11:09 - A constant theme - Farrell kicks long from centre square to the two Adelaide defenders who are sitting deep instead of pulling his kick and hitting the 3 Port Adelaide players who are sitting 15 m away from the play, which allows Keath to easily take an intercept mark. Does he not know where his teammates are going to be? If he doesn't, he should be dropped, and if he does, he should be dropped. No key forward would have made a difference here.

10:48 - Boak is lucky he didn't get called holding the ball here. I guess the umpires decided to square up for the two missed frees from eariler.

10:35 - What a s**t handball by Motlop to Drew/Duursma. He puts up his hand as if to say 'my mistake' after it, but seriously, why the * would you handball back into the stoppage when you're outside it? It was this turnover that results in a goal to Riley Knight. You're a ******* liability Motlop.

8:17 - The ball Howard 'marked' would have travelled maybe 10m. Why he didn't play on straight away is baffling. Oh, and I kept blaming Fisher for calls when it was actually Stephens. My mistake :p

6:59 - Duursma needs to learn his limitations and not try to take on players hemmed in the pocket. He's got caught a number of times now. Ended up in another goal.

5:50 - Can someone explain why Motlop would target Sam Gray in a kick-in?

5:36 - Another Motlop fumble. I guess it's raining at this point.

5:31 - Westhoff is seen in the backlines for the first time.

5:14 - Here is where football smarts come in. Hartigan spoils the ball towards goals from over 10m away. Howard and Marshall should have backed off immediately at this point and let them concede the behind, because it would have been called deliberate.

4:55 - If Howard's 'mark' travelled 10m, so did Jake Kelly's kick to Atkins. Oh wait, Stephens is umpiring. Forget I said anything.

3:25 - Stephens says to Hartigan 'I better pay a free to Howard here for holding the arm because otherwise I'll never be able to get another chance to screw Port Adelaide again.' Howard misses on the angle.

1:20 - Westhoff gives away a free kick to Himmelberg...this transition was just dumb luck and nothing you can do about it. Luckily he misses. Not that it matters.

0:45 - Just a bunch of soft campaigners not wanting to tackle or put any sort of heat on the Adelaide players because they thought the siren was going to go. A soft goal gets conceded because that's what we do.

Summary

Some good passages of play and a bit more freedom that was ****ed up by players not taking their chances and generally just ******* around with the ball as if it was dry. I said Frampton would have helped in the first quarter. He wouldn't have helped here, because the delivery was that poor and to ridiculous outnumber situations. Sometimes we'd have shots on goal that with a bit of luck and more skill would have been goals - the kind of luck Adelaide had in the first half. Still, there was s**t decision making too.

Ryder is definitely a better ruck for centre bounce. He actually improved his performance as the game went on.

Players I'd drop after this quarter: Motlop, Drew

Q3

REH - Matt Crouch was on the ground to start the second half - he must have gone off in the second quarter then tried it out in the second half.

19:49 - Lycett has the opportunity to put a knee through Keath and instead short steps and allows him to take an easy mark. It would have set the tone early, but once again, we've got someone who is more worried about getting hurt than crashing a pack.

19:36 - Better attack on the contest around the ground by Ryder.

19:10 - Go to this part of the game...and watch what **** forward pressure looks like. Johnson goes up for the mark/spoil, and for some reason Farrell decides to hit the contest as well - and then this happens:

View attachment 673334

Three players surrounding one player...all looking at the ball instead of covering the outlet. How many games experience are in this quartet? 41. And people wonder why the Crows found it so easy to move the ball out of defence. You want to know why Keath won the Showdown Medal? Because he kept shape while our young players did this sort of thing. Why wasn't Marshall covering Keath? Why wasn't Farrell? These things no one can answer...but it's because of this mess that Adelaide was able to waltz the ball from our attacking 50 to their attacking 50 because everyone else had to slide over to cover the man that either Marshall or Farrell could have prevented getting the ball.

18:30 - Dropped mark by Johnson with Keath on his hammer. Was this a bit of payback from Westhoff for the **** delivery Johnson gave him earlier? I'm quite certain that Westhoff could have given him a bit more width. Whatever the case, Johnson has enough time to shake his head a bit instead of giving chase. Shouldn't have dropped it in the first place.

17:42 - Here's the play of the game. Marshall halves the contest, and it spills to Powell-Pepper, who spots Lycett and thinks 'Cool, Scott will block for me and I'll use him as a screen to get Mackay and Ellis-Yolmen out of the way.' But instead of Lycett moving across to create a block for Powell-Pepper, he instead runs backward and blocks Johnson instead. Are these guys allergic to shepherding for their teammates or something?

17:35 - To make matters even WORSE, this was the Motlop 'bump' play. Enough has been said about his lame attack on the ball - disgraceful. But why doesn't Marshall shepherd Laird? He just assumes Rockliff will take the mark and pushes forward instead of doing the team thing. Needs to be aware of his surroundings and should have known Rocky ****** up as soon as he saw Laird take off. This results in a goal to Walker that was entirely constructed by Port Adelaide ****ups under zero pressure.

We are -12 in ground ball gets at this point of the game. That's very, very poor.

16:17 - After a 50m penalty on Rockliff, Marshall marks the ball at 45m. Instead of taking the shot, he decides to stab pass a half volley to Broadbent who is on the run. The idea was good, the execution was ****. Just a little more power and it would have been a good play. Broadbent is forced to handball to Ryder - the old adage 'don't handball to a ruck' is true here because Ryder fumbles it and we don't get a score. Here's the strong tip Todd: when you've got an opportunity to kick a goal, you go for it. Luckily, the resultant turnover is mopped up by Howard and it ends with the first bit of clean ball we have for the night which ends in a goal to Amon.

15:02 - Nice centre clearance from Powell-Pepper. I like Ryder as the centre ruck over Lycett. Ends with a snap on goal by Gray that just doesn't bend far enough, but no complaints about this passage of play.

14:11 - Another good bit of play that ends with a **** decision by Farrell to take a shot on goal instead of getting the ball in quick to Westhoff on Brad Crouch in the goal square. That would have put us 15 points down, 33 to 48. We had momentum at this point of the game.

14:00 - Sam Gray takes a nice intercept mark, and finally someone decides to roll off and play on. Does he hit up Amon, who is calling for the ball 15m away with 4 Adelaide players at least 10 m away surrounding him? Nope. He decides to bomb it long to the 4 Crows players on 3 Port players with another 3 Adelaide players the closest support and 2 Port players coming in. That means once the ball got to the contest, it would have been a 7 on 5. Westhoff gives a facepalm at this point because it's like 'WTF?' - at this point, I'm not blaming him at all for these **** decisions. (I think he was hit on the head, but I'm sticking to my story). Luckily it ends as a boundary throw in.

13:21 - Someone must have spoken to Byrne-Jones about his inability to lay blocks for teammates, because he actually executes one here for Clurey. Good job, Darcy. That's what we want to see.

13:08 - Talia must have felt like the big man on campus standing Todd Marshall.

13:00 - Rockliff - Why do a blind snap on goal inside 50 when you've got Sam Gray, Powell-Pepper and Duursma to your right for the quick handball?? Why???

12:48 - One of the things Adelaide players would do all night that our players wouldn't do was continually work to provide options. Rockliff's man gets the handball receive because he works to free space and Rockliff doesn't go with him because the ball is out of his area, right? Wrong.

12:31 - This isn't a free kick to Ryder:

View attachment 673358

Apparently you can use your legs to take someone out of the contest by tripping them and it's okay, just because Ryder outbodied you. A joke. Why wasn't there an umpire behind the contest here? All the Port players are like 'Where's the free?'. Nope shitheads, it's play on apparently. No mention of it from the shithouse commentators either.

12:19 - This also wasn't a free kick to Drew:

View attachment 673361

Over the shoulder. Nope, play on.

11:27 - **** play from Drew to ask for the handball receive from a guy that is obviously being tackled with his arms pinned. He moves forward in the stoppage, Brad Crouch, his direct opponent, moves the other way...and gets a clear shot on goal that luckily misses.

11:09 - A constant theme - Farrell kicks long from centre square to the two Adelaide defenders who are sitting deep instead of pulling his kick and hitting the 3 Port Adelaide players who are sitting 15 m away from the play, which allows Keath to easily take an intercept mark. Does he not know where his teammates are going to be? If he doesn't, he should be dropped, and if he does, he should be dropped. No key forward would have made a difference here.

10:48 - Boak is lucky he didn't get called holding the ball here. I guess the umpires decided to square up for the two missed frees from eariler.

10:35 - What a **** handball by Motlop to Drew/Duursma. He puts up his hand as if to say 'my mistake' after it, but seriously, why the **** would you handball back into the stoppage when you're outside it? It was this turnover that results in a goal to Riley Knight. You're a ******* liability Motlop.

8:17 - The ball Howard 'marked' would have travelled maybe 10m. Why he didn't play on straight away is baffling. Oh, and I kept blaming Fisher for calls when it was actually Stephens. My mistake :p

6:59 - Duursma needs to learn his limitations and not try to take on players hemmed in the pocket. He's got caught a number of times now. Ended up in another goal.

5:50 - Can someone explain why Motlop would target Sam Gray in a kick-in?

5:36 - Another Motlop fumble. I guess it's raining at this point.

5:31 - Westhoff is seen in the backlines for the first time.

5:14 - Here is where football smarts come in. Hartigan spoils the ball towards goals from over 10m away. Howard and Marshall should have backed off immediately at this point and let them concede the behind, because it would have been called deliberate.

4:55 - If Howard's 'mark' travelled 10m, so did Jake Kelly's kick to Atkins. Oh wait, Stephens is umpiring. Forget I said anything.

3:25 - Stephens says to Hartigan 'I better pay a free to Howard here for holding the arm because otherwise I'll never be able to get another chance to screw Port Adelaide again.' Howard misses on the angle.

1:20 - Westhoff gives away a free kick to Himmelberg...this transition was just dumb luck and nothing you can do about it. Luckily he misses. Not that it matters.

0:45 - Just a bunch of soft campaigners not wanting to tackle or put any sort of heat on the Adelaide players because they thought the siren was going to go. A soft goal gets conceded because that's what we do.

Summary

Some good passages of play and a bit more freedom that was ****** up by players not taking their chances and generally just ******* around with the ball as if it was dry. I said Frampton would have helped in the first quarter. He wouldn't have helped here, because the delivery was that poor and to ridiculous outnumber situations. Sometimes we'd have shots on goal that with a bit of luck and more skill would have been goals - the kind of luck Adelaide had in the first half. Still, there was **** decision making too.

Ryder is definitely a better ruck for centre bounce. He actually improved his performance as the game went on.

Players I'd drop after this quarter: Motlop, Drew
Dispassionating your comments, we looked very uncoached in the first three quarters. There was barely any cohesion between our players: (a) we were unable to reajust whenever there was a mistake or the play failed; (b) we were forcing the first option without looking for alternatives; and, (c) when we didn't force the first option because it was shut, we weren't able to find effective alternatives either because (c.1) other players wouldn't provide it or (c.2) the player with the ball failed to find them.

There was plenty of plays we simply failed to execute it properly. That's true enough, but our lack of common understanding was the biggest issue. That was my impression watching the game, and your comments seem to confirm it.

Now, how can we look well coached in one week and completely the opposite in another, I have no idea.

-Selection
-Fumbling
-Poor I50's
-Poor finishing (we kicked 2.6 to the scoreboard end AGAIN in the 2nd)
-Play on at all costs gameplan? (there was literally no game plan other than hack it forward all night)
-dropped chest marks x1000

Crows took their chances and kick a few out their butt was probably the difference. We plastered over the cracks in the last qtr when the game was nearly over.

Thankful i didnt have to see Betts running around thumping his chest.

I wouldn't care if i seen some improvements in our game but its just the same tripe every week. Especially goal kicking.
Interesting comment re kicking 2.6 at the scoreboard end. Does anyone have stats comparing accuracy at both ends? We always warm up at the southern end.

I hope Kane puts the burner on Ken, on his selections, on his slowness to act during the game.
It really pisses me off that Ken thinks it was an inspired brave move to put someone who can kick goals up forward when the majority of the supporter base have been calling for it for weeks, even years.
Whatever he was trying to do with his selections, it ended up a massive predictable fail.
I want him to admit he is the one that made those selection errors. I want him to man up.
Kane Cornes is another Hinkley lapdog. It's nauseating..

Dispassionating your comments, we looked very uncoached in the first three quarters. There was barely any cohesion between our players: (a) we were unable to reajust whenever there was a mistake or the play failed; (b) we were forcing the first option without looking for alternatives; and, (c) when we didn't force the first option because it was shut, we weren't able to find effective alternatives either because (c.1) other players wouldn't provide it or (c.2) the player with the ball failed to find them.

There was plenty of plays we simply failed to execute it properly. That's true enough, but our lack of common understanding was the biggest issue. That was my impression watching the game, and your comments seem to confirm it.

Now, how can we look well coached in one week and completely the opposite in another, I have no idea.

Might have something to do with replacing four players who had played at least three game this year in Ebert, Bonner, Wines and Butters with three players who were playing their first game for the season in Johnson, Farrell and Broadbent and having to switch the fourth player in Motlop to defence in the first quarter. Cohesion doesn’t just happen in one game, and to have to introduce those players in a high pressure game like that and expect them to perform as if they should is ludicrous.

If I stripped the gear in a gearbox for some unknown reason, and wanted to replace it, I can’t just open it up, take out the stripped gear and put a replacement in - I’d have to rebuild the whole thing. That’s what we are doing when we select two guys under 20 games experience in the forward line who haven’t played a game in the AFL this year and two guys with experience who are forced to cover for an injury to another player in game.

It’s why you’ll never find coaches make multiple changes to their team until they’ve given them a few weeks to click.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back