Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
In response to the latest complaints, the moderators have decided to hold a "festival of the red card".

Any post which we consider to be abusive in any way, no matter how minor, will receive a red card. We'll start with a 24-hr temporary ban, but anyone getting done for a 2nd time during the festival will receive a red card. That might mean that you're off the board for 1, 2 or even 3 weeks, depending upon your infraction history.

The festival will last as long as it takes to bring things back under control. It might be a week, it might take a month.

We apologise in advance if this comes across as over-moderation, but the recent fall in standards on this board has made it necessary.

Let the festival begin!

All for it.

Just dont fall into the same trap as the umpires. Penalise the goading, veiled sniping, and provocation as harshly as you do the retaliation.
Anyone who initiates personal comments will be carded. Hopefully we get to it before people get 'sucked in' though it is up to posters not to get sucked in if we don't get to it quick enough.

Vader - can I suggest to ease frustration building up you guys start 'warning' on poor contributing posts (irrespective of rudeness) to be editted or removed?

e.g. (sorry wood-duck it's an easy example and you're on board with the concept anyway)

'What a pile of steaming horseshit'.
- arguably too rude, red-card under this thread's premise yeah?

if it was expressed differently, say:
'I think thats a ridiculous thing to say'.
- possibly not too rude, no red-card - but how about a warning to say its not adding anything of value, edit or it gets deleted.

so if it was then worded:
'I think that's a ridiculous thing to say because 2 days ago you said somethign exactly to the contrary OR <insert reasons why ridiculous>'
- then maybe that's what we would all, generally, like to see achieved?

Of course then you're left with how do you moderate:
"I think thats a pile of steaming horseshit because <insert fantastic reason"
- does that get a red-card....? warning?

Geez I realise that's going to put alot of extra work on your guys shoulders, and I think many of us can 'self-police' the lack of legitimate content but that may still require moderator support at some point.

What I'm personally sick and tired of is posts that fall into ALL of the below categories:
- rude
- repetitive - restating a position previously stated with no new information
- Unclear & arrogant - not providing explanations to help others understand (especially when its soooooooo simple sheesh)
- lacking in humility - not willing to be open to new information/possibilities and 'giving' a little in their approach (be it acknowledging someone elses good point or your own bad)
- (not funny enough)

I don't want to see all of the above disappear btw. love the occasional rude post, or occasional stubbornly held view - just the combination of all of the above all the time makes me totally disrespect the poster or want to slap them.

Good luck mods!

Vader - can I suggest to ease frustration building up you guys start 'warning' on poor contributing posts (irrespective of rudeness) to be editted or removed?

e.g. (sorry wood-duck it's an easy example and you're on board with the concept anyway)

'What a pile of steaming horseshit'.
- arguably too rude, red-card under this thread's premise yeah?

I'm starting to take this personally.;)

Allefgib, we frequently delete posts like that anyway - but we can't be online 24/7 and sometimes we're things just take on a life of their own before we have a chance to take action.

The problem is that posts which contain the rubbish also frequently contain some gems which are worth keeping. We don't want to kill the discussion on the board completely and none of us have time to edit posts on a regular basis. It usually comes down to a decision of whether to delete the post or not, rather than editing. Sometimes we make the right call, sometimes we make the wrong call - we're all human.

Your comments are good Allefgib. There are ways to say "I think your opinion is crap" without actually needlessly insulting the other person, and you can say why you believe your opinion is correct in the mean time.

Woody - We'll certainly do our best to penalise the veiled sniping and the goading. Abusive provocation will be dealt with as well.

Good to learn Sith are falliable. Gives us Rebels a fighting chance.

Right - I'm being accused of brown nosing now so I need to get back to walking that fine line.

SACK CRAIG.. because... we'll the results speak for themselves ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

btw.. does anyone get the impression with this thread title that when they aren't modding our mods spend a bit of time playing MMO's....?

Actually, I'm pretty certain none of us do :eek: (Can't speak for WALL-e mind you, but I do know he has an actual job ;))

I think the term has come from previous moderators/admins in years past.

Re: The 5+ goal second quarter lead, followed by the capitulation. The Neil Craig Special.

This is in response to a post on the "5+ goal 2nd quarter" thread.
How long does a red card last?

Is crow-mo gone for good or just a spell?
There are 5 types of red card which the mods can hand out.
Temporary Ban - 24hrs
1st Serious - 7 days
2nd Serious - 14 days
3rd Serious - 21 days
4th Serious - permanent

Festival offenders will start off with a temp ban. Repeat offenders will get a 1st-4th Serious red card, depending upon their infraction history. You won't get a 2nd serious unless you already have a 1st serious on record (and so forth). We're supposed to progress people through the ranks, but we tend to be a little lenient, so most people usually get 2 or 3 1st serious offences before they cop a 2nd serious.

Moderators are not supposed to discuss infractions handed out to individual posters. They are a private matter, between the poster and the moderator who handed them out.

Crow-mo's fate is obviously a matter of interest to many people on the board, so I'll make a limited exception in this case. Crow-mo has been infracted out of the system and will not be returning. Please do not ask for any further details, because none will be forthcoming.

festivuscard.jpg

Meh - lets the festival begin.

Lets hope we have a few wins and then everyone can be happy.

I'd rather not comment in too much detail about the infraction process, but let me assure everyone that posters nearing the "end" of the infraction cycle (where permanent bans become a possibility) are made well and truly aware of where they sit, what has brought them to that point, and what they need to do to avoid any further infractions. It's not a case of going along unaware of the system and suddenly getting the chop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back