Fevola - Most underrated player this century

Remove this Banner Ad

Fev is one of those players that would've killed it in the 80's, 90's, and did in the 2000's. Similar size to the gorilla forwards like Lockett but could still dominate when he played despite how much the game favoured the athletic and/or tall forwards.

Loved watching him.

Agree on Gehrig. An absolute beast at his peak.

I have him on my bench for an all time Eagles team.

I find him to be very underrated by our supporters.
Don't know if I'd go quite that far. Was an interesting talent in patches at the Eagles, but he seemed to fulfill his potential in a more key position role at the Saints.

His Eagles years are unfairly forgotten though, agreed.

Great thread.

IMO if Fevola was in a dominant team, he would've averaged 6+ goals per game in his prime. He often had 3 players hanging off him, with another clown blocking his space to run into.

As talented as they come, and a pure goalkicker. Capable of marking everything, kicking everything, doing everything.

A better goalkicker than Buddy, although Buddy obviously a more well rounded player.

Freak.

P.s.
Other than Buddy, there is no-one that compares to Fevola as a goakicker post-Matt Lloyd. Riewoldt obviously also a great player, but I classify him as a CHF.

Guys like Riewoldt, Ben Brown, Hogan, Kennedy etc. do not even come close.

You’ve gotta question the environment too. He came to Carlton at 17 as an immature, disruptive idiot and was booted out at 28 for being an immature, disruptive idiot.

A club with a strong leadership and culture might have whacked him into shape and he could have the career he should have.

It's well know that Fev had/has ADHD his whole life.

Great thread.

IMO if Fevola was in a dominant team, he would've averaged 6+ goals per game in his prime. He often had 3 players hanging off him, with another clown blocking his space to run into.

As talented as they come, and a pure goalkicker. Capable of marking everything, kicking everything, doing everything.

A better goalkicker than Buddy, although Buddy obviously a more well rounded player.

Freak.

P.s.
Other than Buddy, there is no-one that compares to Fevola as a goakicker post-Matt Lloyd. Riewoldt obviously also a great player, but I classify him as a CHF.

Guys like Riewoldt, Ben Brown, Hogan, Kennedy etc. do not even come close.

I made a graph a couple of years ago comparing goal average of current key forwards.

Franklin is almost Bradmanesque in how far ahead of the pack he is.

Not only is he the only current player averaging over 3 goals per game, he's also the only one averaging over 2.6.

The output of his nearest rivals (Kennedy and Cameron) is 25% lower!

Imo the bloke he replaced at the lions, Bradshaw, was better despite having to play second fiddle to Brown. Even kicked 28 in 9 games at Sydney when he was cooked while fev bombed in Brisbane.

Fevola was part of a talented forward line that actually played better when he left if people can remember. Shame they all left as well. Very talented but a cancer is a cancer.

Fev could have been a 1000 goal kicker by the time he hung up the boots. One of the biggest wastes of talent footy has seen.
JFC, Australians just LOVE sneering, judging and condescending. He played 200+ games and averaged better than 3 per game. This puts him right at the top tier of players in the history of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JFC, Australians just LOVE sneering, judging and condescending. He played 200+ games and averaged better than 3 per game. This puts him right at the top tier of players in the history of the game.

The man had more talent in his pinky toe than most footballers today. It's a sad story that he pissed it all away but he isn't the first bloke to do that and he certainly wont be the last.

He's an elite player and always will be but he could have been up there with the GOATs, which is exactly where Buddy is heading.

You’ve gotta question the environment too. He came to Carlton at 17 as an immature, disruptive idiot and was booted out at 28 for being an immature, disruptive idiot.

A club with a strong leadership and culture might have whacked him into shape and he could have the career he should have.

Was cut slack because he was one of the only shining lights in what was / is Carlton’s darkest period after the salary cap punishment.
Got away with more than most because he was better than most, rightly or wrongly that’s the way it was back then.
Potentially could have gone the other way as well, may not of had much of a career at all if he was with a strong club as they might not have put up with his behaviour as Carlton did.
Some just can’t be tamed, may have just packed it in or got the arse. Didnt really mature as a person until his mid-thirties as an outsider looking in. He’s no Robinson Crusoe there.
All in all, the game was better for his involvement.
Was a star. Sometimes the stars burn bright and then burn out.
Glad it appears he has his s**t together now, seems a cracking bloke with a lovely family.

A good to very good player, but all time great?
Give me a break.
People who played with him thought he was a banana.
He was traded out because he was a banana.
Not fit enough to even lace up Lloyd's boots and carry his bags.

Agree on Fev. One of the best kicks of the footy I've ever seen.

Mercuri would be my nomination.

He was rightly considered a very good-excellent player but I thought he was right up there with Hird/Buckley/Ricciuto/Voss in the late-90's/early 2000's.

Don't think he is underrated. Everyone saw the talent. Saw the rest also

/end thread.

I think Fev is rated pretty accurately - for both the good and the bad.

No way he would be the most underrated player this century. I reckon every fanbase could easily name a few guys more underrated than Fev.

IMO, People like McPharlin, Stratton (Hawks) and Dale Morris from the Dogs are the most under rated...

Not an exhaustive list, but a start.

Not even a single Brownlow vote or AA nomination for Strats yet. If he maintains his form for a few more years and that statistic doesn't change he will be very high on the underrated list in 10 to 20 years time.

As for Fev, absolute freak. Would love to see what he could have done with a whole career into his 30's.

I heard a rumour that he put a curse on Carlton when they dumped him, not sure of the exact details though it seems to be working

Not even a single Brownlow vote or AA nomination for Strats yet. If he maintains his form for a few more years and that statistic doesn't change he will be very high on the underrated list in 10 to 20 years time.

As for Fev, absolute freak. Would love to see what he could have done with a whole career into his 30's.

I think Morris has one..... Will have to check....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back