Rumour Fevola to join the Casey Scorpions?

Remove this Banner Ad

dee64

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gee you folks around here love a good over reaction!

Have a look at what Ben Cousins did with the young RIchmond midfield. The guy has spent 66 days in rehab.

Having met Brendan several times, when he isn't on the piss, he is a good dude. If he sorts himself out, this is a great thing for Melbourne's young forwards. I admit, at this stage it's a big if, but give the guy a chance.

People pointing out that 80% of the ball went to him in Carltons forward line, well that's just because they had no one else. It wasn't then same at Brisbane. As much as Brendan can be dick after hours, he will show the youngsters what to do on the field, and they don't need to hang out with him outside of footy.

If it doesn't work out, then so be it, it wont be detrimental to Melbourne if it doesn't. But if all goes to plan, then the benefits could be huge. Give it a chance!!
Poor comparison. There was never any question about Cousins' work ethic or sense of team. In fact he was seen as the spiritual leader at WCE.

Fevola is the total opposite. Displayed poor body language when things didn't go his way. It was all about Fev.

Big Kahuna Boot

All Australian
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
..a player like Fev is an old school power forward.. ..he's not the kind to play decoy or make repeat dummy leads.. ..he'll run that F50, he'll tell others to clear out and stay out of his way.. ..he'll also charge thru any other players in his way to the ball, be they opponent or team-mate.. ..all this is proven over years in the AFL.. ..four/five senior afl coaches haven't been able to make Fev a team player in the F50 ,, why would the vfl be any different..?..

..remember, casey has signed him up to kick goals [only thing he's good at].. ..he's a huge presence in the F50, in the vfl he'll be kingkong down there.. ..indeed at times at carlton we didn't have much else to kick to, agreed.. ..but even when we did, the ball just gets kicked over them.. ..no-one else in the whole F50 will be a better target than fev.. ..given his ability to kick them from anywhere from even 60m out, and he'll be the main focal point.. ..he's not just taking away the FF spot from a dee's kid.. ..he's also hogging chf [unless said chf plays mostly up the ground], forget about a 3rd tall, and even HF's that like to double back..

..and in regards to casey, why would they kick to anyone else.. ..what vfl defender will stop him if he's anywhere close to playing to his Average ability [very few good afl defenders stopped him when he's in great form]..

Big Kahuna Boot

All Australian
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
..the days of the big power forward hogging most F50 entries is dieing out.. ..it Didn't work out at brisbane for Fev either.. ..before Fev, Browny was getting the lions' share of their F50 entries.. ..he still hogged even with Fev there, which would have rubbed fev the wrong way.. ..as displayed by how quickly it went sour for him up there.. ..was never gonna be happy playing second fiddle.. ..and casey hasn't got any other power forward even close to getting in fev's way out there..

..at the tiges last season, jumping Jack had his best year yet.. ..and they recognised straight away the dangers of becoming too heavily dependent on him.. ..lookit the dawgs last season too.. ..pre-Hall they have a very good spread.. ..post Hall, and who was hogging up the F50..??.. ..it's just the way it goes, a big power forward attracts the ball.. ..even when double/triple teamed, which drives you to distraction..

Totally agree with the above & this will take us closer to being a stand alone VFL club. I'm not sure where though, All of the work being done out Casey way may have to be re directed...

We could use Oakleigh,Dandenong or Mordialloc VFA grounds as a base or ????

Question - Do Collingwood & Geelong VFL teams have a 2nds team???

All it is going to cost us to have a stand alone team is $10 per membership, not much in the scheme of things...

We don't. AFL listed players (seniors or rookie) take priority over VFL listed players under our system, so all the AFL kids play (although we have a policy of resting them once every 6 weeks or so so some weeks less play) usually supplemented by 7 or 8 (depending on injuries) VFL listed guys. The rest of our VFL list plays with their local (GFL) clubs on the weekend that there isn't a spot for them.

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
Big Kahuna Boot has hit the nail on the head. It is isn't going to be a positive thing is the side becomes one dimensional and just bomb to Fevola one out. Definitely isn't going to teach them to play good football.

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
This is ****ed, Stynes needs to hold a team meeting asap. "Anyone hanging with Fev off field gets to play with him in the VFL".

Gee you folks around here love a good over reaction!

Eski, it appears the head honchos at the club are thinking the same!!!

This guy ( Fevola ) does demand that the forward line is cleared out so he can be the 'Main Show'... How are our young recruits expected to play positional football (as wanted by MFC), if they are stuck on a wing leading for a ball instead of being groomed as a 'KEY' forward deep in attack???

I enjoy going out to Casey, (as much as I hate the fact that it has a Springvale heritage) but I have the feeling that Gotch has no interest in the long term success of our club & Woodman the same...

It would be interesting to see if the Council at Casey would rather support a Scorpion setup or MFC, if it came down to it...

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
We need our own VFL club. I would pay the extra in the membership fee for sure.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Poor comparison. There was never any question about Cousins' work ethic or sense of team. In fact he was seen as the spiritual leader at WCE.

Fevola is the total opposite. Displayed poor body language when things didn't go his way. It was all about Fev.

Fev is emotional...When he's happy he plays good football and vice versa.

Watching games he always seems to be including teammates in the huddle and is always the first player to help a teammate when they are getting in shoving contest.

Plus, he knocked over Didak at qtr time, which is a thumbs up from me :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSLO0BwMGZo

I wish him all the best at Casey

Flyswatter

All Australian
Feb 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sounds like this is a possibility.. link.

I'm sure it's not Fev's arrival that has prompted this, was probably on the cards for a while, and here's a handy excuse to sever ties. Get to play the youngsters in the positions you want in your own team, rather than adhere to the VFL gameplan.

Is it sustainable however, I'm not convinced Melbourne is in a position to fund a team entirely like the pies and cats.

And what happens to the VFL if other clubs follow suit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm sure it's not Fev's arrival that has prompted this, was probably on the cards for a while, and here's a handy excuse to sever ties. Get to play the youngsters in the positions you want in your own team, rather than adhere to the VFL gameplan.

Is it sustainable however, I'm not convinced Melbourne is in a position to fund a team entirely like the pies and cats.

And what happens to the VFL if other clubs follow suit?

Good points, and will the VFL be able to accommodate another team - or multiple teams?

syl

FAIR and BALANCED
Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2011 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe 2012 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2012 Player Sponsor
Mar 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
North
I hope Melbourne go for their own VFL side - I would gladly help support it!

syl

FAIR and BALANCED
Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2011 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe 2012 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2012 Player Sponsor
Mar 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
North
Andrew Demetriou said it's perfectly fine - up to the clubs.

bobbycatsfanme

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2010
Mornington
AFL Club
Geelong
alot of negativity in here and can't blame you guys and we all entitled to our own opinions but I am personally 50/50 on Fevola because I believe he would really be a longterm benefit to alot of the kids down at Casey as Fevola has been through a few issues lately and he will support the youth in anyway he can during his own rehabilitation. Let's be honest he will win games and the old Fevola would likely have a night on the town and same would occur even if he wasn't at Casey and the boys had a win but this year round he will be missing and if just 1 or 2 boys decide not to head out that night after a win then surely it's already a bonus from that point of view.
A few of you also sound like you never made a mistake in your life? Or is it because the majority on these forums are teenagers so life hasn't given you choices that eventually panned out to be mistakes? I know Fevola has made 2, 3 or even 4 bad choices that have hurt his occupation of football but if he does the time and puts in the effort to help himself understand and finally fix some of the issues then why can't he be given another shot at professional football? It's not as if the current day football player can devote a 48 week to a professional job for future success all he has is football and his blessed athletic abilities on the field.
I however get somewhat irritated that the media talk up his issues like we need to feel for the guy even though I never met him before in my life. I am a gambling addict and a bi-polar sufferer so I feel I can understand his problem a little more closely that others may and I have seen other people go through worse than any celebrity could. I do not like the fact that these celebrity sufferer's can turn their issues into profit like Cousins did with his drug addiction and it seems like it will eventually turn out that way with Fevola as channel 9 have already paid him out to hear his story. I don't know about Fevola but it seems his downfall will eventually help him to pay off all his debts and start his life fresh again where as other people who are really terrible gambling addicts are losing everything around them and their own lives because of these horrible cimpulsions which are driven by the brain and the chemical inbalances.

For footys sake it would be great to see him again and one can only imagine what a potent forward line Melbourne would have with him in there booting over 70 for the season as well.

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
alot of negativity in here and can't blame you guys and we all entitled to our own opinions but I am personally 50/50 on Fevola because I believe he would really be a longterm benefit to alot of the kids down at Casey as Fevola has been through a few issues lately and he will support the youth in anyway he can during his own rehabilitation. Let's be honest he will win games and the old Fevola would likely have a night on the town and same would occur even if he wasn't at Casey and the boys had a win but this year round he will be missing and if just 1 or 2 boys decide not to head out that night after a win then surely it's already a bonus from that point of view.
A few of you also sound like you never made a mistake in your life? Or is it because the majority on these forums are teenagers so life hasn't given you choices that eventually panned out to be mistakes? I know Fevola has made 2, 3 or even 4 bad choices that have hurt his occupation of football but if he does the time and puts in the effort to help himself understand and finally fix some of the issues then why can't he be given another shot at professional football? It's not as if the current day football player can devote a 48 week to a professional job for future success all he has is football and his blessed athletic abilities on the field.
I however get somewhat irritated that the media talk up his issues like we need to feel for the guy even though I never met him before in my life. I am a gambling addict and a bi-polar sufferer so I feel I can understand his problem a little more closely that others may and I have seen other people go through worse than any celebrity could. I do not like the fact that these celebrity sufferer's can turn their issues into profit like Cousins did with his drug addiction and it seems like it will eventually turn out that way with Fevola as channel 9 have already paid him out to hear his story. I don't know about Fevola but it seems his downfall will eventually help him to pay off all his debts and start his life fresh again where as other people who are really terrible gambling addicts are losing everything around them and their own lives because of these horrible cimpulsions which are driven by the brain and the chemical inbalances.

For footys sake it would be great to see him again and one can only imagine what a potent forward line Melbourne would have with him in there booting over 70 for the season as well.

How many chances does Fev need before people will like you will realise he is a ****ed up lost cause? He will not teach anyone anything except how to gamble and drink.

Don't want him anywhere near the MFC and I am glad that the club has made it clear that they don't either. I have no objections to him trying to get back into football by the way. I just don't want him near my club. He is an embarrassment.

Melbourne haven't been the best team of recent years obviously, but I am very proud that the players have managed to stay out of the headlines for the most part. Don't need St Kilda type scandals around when you are trying to get the team back on track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back