FFE - Media Watch

Jan 15, 2006
Oz
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Baltimore Ravens
But who really cares?

I seem to with names. I'm a self-confessed spell-cop with players names. They aren't that hard to get right and it leaves an unprofessional mark on the information, especially if the media release originates from a professional sports organisation.

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
I seem to with names. I'm a self-confessed spell-cop with players names. They aren't that hard to get right and it leaves an unprofessional mark on the information, especially if the media release originates from a professional sports organisation.
Wow - an unprofessional mark!

Sounds pretty serious.

Wonaeamirri33

Lovable Whore With A Heart Of Gold
10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year Chocolate Artist Ruby
May 10, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY, Aylesbury United, St Pauli
Reminds me of that bit in the "Get Smart" movie about Ladislav Kristic ;)

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
The people who compose press releases are professionals in media and marketing. And journalists are media professionals too. It is their job to get names and spelling right.
I agree that names should be spelt correctly.

But an occasional error is hardly a sign of terrible journalism or toxic unprofessionalism. Mistakes happen, and relatively speaking, mispelling a name, while sloppy, is pretty inconsequential. Again, I agree that, in best practice, it wouldn't happen, and that such mistakes are pretty easily avoided with a modicum of care. But there are far more poignant criticisms to be made of the media than tut-tutting over a mispelled name. It's like going to town on Bernie Madoff for an unpaid parking fine.

It's superficial, and it's an easy charge to make, because the error is obvious. But if you want to have a serious discussion about the media's shortcomings, you need to scratch the surface a little more than just seizing on spelling errors.

Also, organisations that put out press releases are not necessarily part of "the media".

The hack that churns out the press release for the MRP is not a journalist. He's just a communications shill. They're not the same occupation. His mispelling of Coughlan's name is not an example of "the media" messing up.

Don't conflate journalists with every monkey that writes a press release.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
...an occasional error is hardly a sign of terrible journalism or toxic unprofessionalism. Mistakes happen, and relatively speaking, mispelling a name, while sloppy, is pretty inconsequential. ...if you want to have a serious discussion about the media's shortcomings, you need to scratch the surface a little more than just seizing on spelling errors.
Oh, all agreed. Still and all..

Also, organisations that put out press releases are not necessarily part of "the media".
The hack that churns out the press release for the MRP is not a journalist. He's just a communications shill. They're not the same occupation.
The people who write the press releases are (or should be) marketing/communications professionals, not "communications shills". I know people who work in this area, who would tear the author of a press release a new one (well, "counsel" them, anyway) for making that sort of mistake, because it reflects on the organisation and it's their job to get that sort of thing right.

No, of course it's not the most important media issue. But it's not something you can dismiss by saying that the people who write these things are not communications professionals, because they are (or should be).

Then again, I break out in spots when I see a misplaced apostrophe, so maybe I'm not the best one to ask :)

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
The people who write the press releases are (or should be) marketing/communications professionals, not "communications shills".
They're not journalists. They're not part of "the media" any more than someone who works in the press office at Melbourne Zoo.

I know people who work in this area, who would tear the author of a press release a new one (well, "counsel" them, anyway) for making that sort of mistake, because it reflects on the organisation and it's their job to get that sort of thing right.
That's fine.

But this is a discussion of the media's shortcomings. The example presented is of a PR/communications worker stuffing up. To conflate the two is to misunderstand the difference between a journalist and someone who writes press releases.

No, of course it's not the most important media issue. But it's not something you can dismiss by saying that the people who write these things are not communications professionals, because they are (or should be).
Again, they're "communications professionals". They write press releases.

But they're not part of "the media". And in a discussion of the media's shortcomings, a sloppily written press release by an organisation that isn't part of the media is a non-starter.

You can't conflate everyone who writes something, be it press releases or newspaper articles, as essentially doing the same job.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Caroline Wilson turned in a pretty terrible piece of witing for today's Sunday Age. This isn't bad journalism of the insidious type, just the lazy type.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/wrongs-of-2008-righted/2009/09/26/1253813656605.html

Some highlights:

He reserved his one moment of solemnity for the unfortunate Cameron Stokes, who tore onto the ground to congratulate his teammates but later looked as lonely a figure as one can at a celebration than can never truly be yours.

Lazy.

Five minutes later, seasoned defender Darren Milburn forced a double St Kilda goal after an inexplicable lack of composure seconds before half-time.

Very odd phrasing. The word 'forced' seems like a poor choice. Also, he 'forced' the goal with his lack of composure, not after it. The goal itself occured after the lack of composure. This is very confused sentence. Not nearly as confused as the following, however:

Perhaps, despite the fact St Kilda had held the ball less than 50 metres from goal more than double Geelong's efforts in the first half, Thompson kept reminding himself that bad kicking was bad football.

Did they just print her first draft by accident or something?

Rarely has there been a more relaxed shot for goal than Rooke's after his mark taken seconds before the final siren. And speaking of destiny, the 27-year-old said he had consulted a psychic who had told him the Cats would defeat St Kilda for the 2009 flag.

Speaking of destiny? What? I thought you were 'speaking' about Max Rooke's largely irrelevant shot after the siren. That is a bizzare way to begin a bizzare sentence.

I think someone has been reading too much Dan Brown :eek:

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Caroline Wilson turned in a pretty terrible piece of witing for today's Sunday Age. This isn't bad journalism of the insidious type, just the lazy type.
Execrable. Cliche-ridden and actually leaves me feeling like I know less about that game of football than before I read it.

Wonaeamirri33

Lovable Whore With A Heart Of Gold
10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year Chocolate Artist Ruby
May 10, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY, Aylesbury United, St Pauli
It's astonishing that she's held onto her job for as long as she has, and somehow continues to remain in that position...

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
Check out the Hun's schizophrenic coverage of the Fevola saga.

On one hand, they publish this article, talking abot how Fev is no certainty to go anywhere, with plenty of clubs put off by his salary, his personality or the prospect of satisfying the Blues in a trade:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...spite-trade-talk/story-e6frf9jf-1225781350070

CARLTON Football Club last night remained well aware that Brendan Fevola may still be a Blue next year.

Despite taking the bold move to formally declare the full-forward on the market, it knows that to off-load him in next week's trade period could be akin to delivering on the Kyoto agreement.
But on the same day, they run this piece, evaluating every club's chances of getting Fev:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t-brendan-fevola/story-e6frf9jf-1225781377581

Who wants Fev? Who is in a position to get him? Who needs him? These are questions on the tip of many a footy fan's tongue. Scott Gullan assesses each club's position.

In this piece, they basically say he could go anywhere apart from Geelong and Hawthorn. In this piece, they claim he's more likely to go to West Coast, Richmond, Fremantle, Adelaide or Port than he is to stay at Carlton.

That's the polar opposite conclusion of the earlier piece, which says Carlton may actually be so short of suitors that Fev ends up staying put.

In other words, one piece must be complete bullshit.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/rookie-plan-puts-tiger-graham-polak-at-mercy-of-draft/story-e6frf9jf-1225790174040

GRAHAM Polak is still facing the likely prospect of being delisted by Richmond.

Even if the Tigers decide to retain the 29-year-old as a mature-age rookie, Polak must first be cut from the list.

Richmond does not have the option of automatically demoting Polak to rookie status and must redraft him if it decides he is not worthy of a place on the primary list.

Polak is 25

While the Tigers remain non-committal on Polak's future, a delisting is the most likely scenario as the club embarks on a mission of rebuilding based on youth.

Massive error in the context of the story

demon48

All Australian
Suspended
Oct 4, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Scorpions/Storm/Mariners/Chargers
I remember one in the Herald Sun years back. Andrew Leoncelli had a blinder, and the Hun credited "Leon Chelley" as Best on Ground. Paul "Hopwood" was one of the other best.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Channel 9 Melbourne AFL reporter Justin Rodski is now writing for The Roar website.

He's written an article on the need for video technology in the AFL: http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/02/16/its-time-to-roll-out-video-technology-in-the-afl/

I do hope it is full of lies, mistakes and inaccuracies, since the OP asked for:

Do you have any other articles, mistakes, innacuracies or downright fibs you would like to add, if so hopefully you can do so in this thread.

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Blues to 'welcome' Fevola back sooner than expected
Footy forums were buzzing yesterday with fans intent on being there to welcome Fevola, although the tone indicated they were not planning a red-carpet homecoming. For some, there will also be a tinge of sadness. ''It's just too soon,'' one poster wrote, adding that it would be like watching your worst enemy (the Lions, courtesy of putting the Blues out of last year's finals) cavorting with your ex-wife (Fevola) in your own bed (Visy Park).
Blues to 'welcome' Fevola back sooner than expected
It's just to soon.

It would be like watching your worst enemy (brisbane, considering they just beat us in a final) F*** your ex MRS (fev) in your own bed (visy park)

Back