Other Field Hockey Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally watched the game, a great game it was too.

Seriously, this team is amazing. The depth, the amount of stars, it's incredible.

Swann is awesome, how about that defensive play about 3 minutes into the 2nd half?! Abbott seems to always be in the right position, he's just got this knack of being at the right spot at the right time. 2 more goals for Des. :thumbsu: Dwyer just went about his business. Wilson and Orchard have been HUGE this tournament. Ockenden hasn't done much, hopefully he can step up in the final 2 matches.

You saw the difference Doerner makes though, we were awful on PC's, going 0-7, half of them we didn't even get a shot off. Hopefully his ankle injury isn't too bad.

That knack of Abbott's. The best strikers are born with that. It's like they have a nose for it.

What a ridiculously strong performance by the Aussies in the final. First 15 minutes was a complete domination, totally blew England out of the water. Another goal by Abbott, what a tournament by him, and Dwyer finished off the scoring with a great strike to make it 4-0.

Ockenden didn't register a goal in the tournament, a bit of a disappointment, but his work defensively is top notch. I often shake my head in amazement while watching this team, the pace of the ball movement, the cleanliness of the players, and the work-rate from everyone to work both ways.

Dominant tournament from Australia. :thumbsu:

What a ridiculously strong performance by the Aussies in the final. First 15 minutes was a complete domination, totally blew England out of the water. Another goal by Abbott, what a tournament by him, and Dwyer finished off the scoring with a great strike to make it 4-0.

Ockenden didn't register a goal in the tournament, a bit of a disappointment, but his work defensively is top notch. I often shake my head in amazement while watching this team, the pace of the ball movement, the cleanliness of the players, and the work-rate from everyone to work both ways.

Dominant tournament from Australia. :thumbsu:

All round quality all over the field from the Aussies, they should have scored at least a couple more.

It was interesting watching it in the UK as the British commentators kept talking about how unlucky the English team was but if you look at the stats, the Aussies had so many more shots at goals and far more penetration in the D. It didn't look like luck at all from where I was sitting. The Aussies look a lot stronger as a team overall and the passing between almost everyone is pretty ace, whereas the English team are fairly dependent on certain players like Jackson.

Though I do acknowledge that luck can play a big part in sport.

Men's field hockey is so brilliant to watch, it makes most other team sports look rather slow. Apart from the really skiddy version of hockey of course.

The Dutch took that momentum into the second half and got up 3-2 with under 10 minutes remaining. Then we exploded with back to back goals by Abbott and Wilson in under a minute. Final score 6-3.

God I love modern hockey! Can you imagine that sort of game story from a soccer match between two of the best teams in the world?

Women's hockey WC is underway, Aussies started their campaign yesterday against Japan. They won 2-1, and the game will be replayed this morning (at like 4/5am or something). This is a big tournament for the young Aussie squad, hopefully they can do well, and there's a little bit of Casey Eastham domination. :thumbsu:

Soild start for the Kookaburras with a 9-0 win over Scotland. Massive game against India tomorrow.

Australia vs India in the Womens is on right now.

Australia into both the Gold Metal matches!

The Kookaburras will face either England or India at 4:50 pm EST Thursday

The Hockeyroos will face off against New Zealand at 6:20 pm EST tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won 18 from 19 games and scored 84 times while letting in only 20 during those three tournaments. They’d definitely have a case.

Ric Charlesworth is the master. A true legend of Australian sport.

Amazing year for the Kookaburras, absolutely amazing. Completed the clean sweep this year, what an achievement. :thumbsu: What a dominant display in the final too.

What an athlete. The guy is a phenomenal Australian sportsman, doesn't get anywhere near the recognition he deserves. Gun of the highest order! :thumbsu:

Women's Champions Trophy has started tonight in the Netherlands for those who are interested. Hockeyroos vs Netherlands playing right now on Fox Sports.

Men's Champions Trophy doesn't start until December.

Excellent result!!! With so many youngsters in the team, I just hope they take a lot from the experience and work even harder in the lead-up to the Olympics.

I’m not sure why I thought that was the Hockeyroos’ last game. They actually have 3 more games to go. They have a new format for this year’s Women’s Champions Trophy.

They’re now splitting the teams into two new groups. The teams that finished in the top 2 will play for places in the medal games in one group, while the teams that finished bottom 2 will play in a group for fifth to eighth places.

In the new groups 2 games will be played against teams from the other group and you won’t play the team you’ve already played again. You actually get carry over points from the last group so the Hockeyroos are in a very good position in their group while the other group is well poised with all teams on the same points and goal difference.

Interesting format, I’m guessing it will be the same for the Men’s Champions Trophy too.

is it a tough sport to pick up?? it's always a sport i've considered playing. looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

and is there a summer league in melbourne?? don't know if my body could take playing two sporting games on a weekend during the winter but it could be a great way to keep fit for next footy season....

is it a tough sport to pick up?? it's always a sport i've considered playing. looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

and is there a summer league in melbourne?? don't know if my body could take playing two sporting games on a weekend during the winter but it could be a great way to keep fit for next footy season....

I reckon it would be pretty tough to pick up if you didn't start as a kid. Certainly any half-decent player will run rings around you and you'll probably never get past that, but if you don't mind that you will enjoy it.

Perth has plenty of summer comps so I guess Melbourne would have too. They would probably be the better option for a beginner player too, as people generally don't take the summer comps as seriously as the "real" season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back