Other Field Hockey Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon it would be pretty tough to pick up if you didn't start as a kid. Certainly any half-decent player will run rings around you and you'll probably never get past that, but if you don't mind that you will enjoy it.

Perth has plenty of summer comps so I guess Melbourne would have too. They would probably be the better option for a beginner player too, as people generally don't take the summer comps as seriously as the "real" season.
nah getting dominated is no bother. fully expected.

there's a definately a league in melbourne. just looking on hockey vic web site, but it looks like it is just teams put together randomly. not specific clubs as such. that might make it a bit tougher to find one to join.

something to keep in mind over the next couple of months anyway.

if anyone knows any details on the melbourne summer comp please post them in here. would be most appreciated.

Sixth place for the Hockeyroos in the end. The final between Argentina and the Netherlands is later today.

Can't wait now for the Men's Champions Trophy in December. It's in India so great time slot here. :thumbsu:

there's a definately a league in melbourne. just looking on hockey vic web site, but it looks like it is just teams put together randomly. not specific clubs as such. that might make it a bit tougher to find one to join.

if anyone knows any details on the melbourne summer comp please post them in here. would be most appreciated.

Definitely a summer comp here in melbourne. There is usually a few different summer comps played at the one venue over summer. Most of them also play on a weeknight, to avoid the heat. They cater for all sorts of people with different skill levels.
Last year i know for sure there was a competition at Footscray, mixed comp at the state hockey centre, hawthorn/malvern hockey centre. i think they also play in brunswick and a few others around melbourne. Best bet is get in touch with the club (via hockey vics webpage)that is closest to where you live and they will have more info!

is it a tough sport to pick up?? it's always a sport i've considered playing. looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

and is there a summer league in melbourne?? don't know if my body could take playing two sporting games on a weekend during the winter but it could be a great way to keep fit for next footy season....

I took it up almost 3 years back, despite being old enough to qualify for veterans and I practically never train.

I play in the bottom grade and I'm crap, but I still have fun and do contribute to the team (mostly hard running, but I also setup a goal last weekend). Thankfully I play for a 'social' team who are OK with that, so it's all good.

A teammate who is half my age took it up last year, and trains weekly during the winter season. He's no champion, but he could probably move up a grade or two and hold his own now.

Summer hockey does exist, but they don't have grades, which can be good and bad...I've played with and against state league players during summers, and they literally could run rings around you, which can be both inspirational and depressing. If you find a team/club that doesn't take it too seriously, give it a go over summer...It could be a lot of fun, and worst case, you can drop it at the end of the season.

International Super Series thing on in Perth at the moment in conjunction with CHOGM, and on ABC. Last night was on at 11:30pm, probably the same tonight.

I went along last night (as one of my boys was ball-boying) and it was pretty good. The modified rules were interesting to see. Certainly a lot more space on the ground with the 9-a-side format.

I can see the modified penalty corner rules (or something similar) being seriously looked at as option for the future - for safety reasons if nothing else. Don't think the change to the long corner was worth it, didn't really seem to create many opportunities that a normal corner wouldn't. Similarly the larger goals are just a gimmick and not neccessary.

Definitely worth a look over the next couple of days if you're interested in the development of the game.

Summer hockey exists in Melbourne but it's not very strong. I've never heard of anybody playing the in HV affliated competition.

A few clubs run in-house competitions. Doncaster's is huge. Five or six men's teams within the club or something. Greensborough has tried to get somethnig go but failed a couple of times now. But yeah, just ask around and they'll let you know.

Having said that, this will be my fifth season of club hockey at Greensborough in Melbourne. Seriously considered moving to Doncaster in about August or September but my mates convinced me to give it one more season. Love the sport but I'm not the best player. Only Metro 2 in Melbourne.

Out of interest, is anybody playing with a university-based club? Like Sydney Uni/Melbourne Uni/La Trobe Uni etc.? And if you are have you ever been to university games with the club?

Great sport - so underrated IMO.

Played for about ten years and I love it.

Not the best player ever but played SL5 last season in Melbourne and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hockey is back in a few days. Champions Trophy is starting on the 3rd. :thumbsu:

It was meant to be in India this year but they were stripped of the rights and now Auckland is hosting it. Kookaburras trying to be the first team to win the tournament 4 times in a row.

FYI I've never played hockey before, but I started a few weeks ago with the same club my kids play at (Camberwell). I play Summer Vets (I think it's O35s) and we play on a Monday night. There are 11 teams in our comp, 8 from Camberwell and 3 from Hawthorn. I can't speak for any other clubs but Camberwell spreads the talent reasonably evenly across its 8 teams to cater for novices like me. I get to play with a couple of blokes who are elite, but they've been great in terms of instructing us what to do, and they share the ball around. It's frickin hard work, great fun and I recommend it highly.

I recommend contacting the club nearest to you if you haven't already. I know that Camberwell is still taking players.

Kookaburras hammered England this morning 4-1. They’re through to the next stage of the tournament with a game in hand along with the Netherlands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kookaburras vs Spain in the Final tomorrow around 4pm AEST. Should be a great match.

Good day all around for the Kookaburras. Dwyer won the Player of the year again for the 5th time and Matthew Swann won the Young Player of the year award. Well done boys. :thumbsu:

Kookaburras vs Spain in the Final tomorrow around 4pm AEST. Should be a great match.

Good day all around for the Kookaburras. Dwyer won the Player of the year again for the 5th time and Matthew Swann won the Young Player of the year award. Well done boys. :thumbsu:
Fantastic!! Dwyer is this country's most underappreciated sportsman, an absolute champion of the game.

Will definitely be watching tomorrow! :thumbsu: Good luck to the boys!

Was talking to my mate tonight about Dwyer. He reckons if we win gold at the Olympics next year he'll retire on the basis that he's achieved all he can and another gold is enough for him.

I reckon he won't on the basis that he's still considered the best player in the world and that his prime hasn't completely passed him by just yet.

0-0 at half time. Spain playing very tough defensively, quite a few uncharacteristic Australian turnovers. Swann with a great job defensively right near the end to keep it scoreless.

Brilliant! First team to win the Champions Trophy 4 times in succession. They’ve also won their last 14 CT matches in a row now, which is the longest winning streak in the tournaments history.

Australia%20win%20Owen%20G%20Glenn%20FIH%20%20Champions%20Trophy%202011%20-%20Frank%20Uijlenbroek.jpg-1323589821

Keep it going boys. :thumbsu:

Staggering performance. Unbelievably talented some of these blokes...
Agreed, the talent on this team is unbelievable.

I was really impressed by the youngster Matt Gohdes. That’s the thing about the Kookaburras, so successful yet always bringing in talented youngsters, giving them opportunities and watching them thrive.

Olympics not far away now, the big one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back