MMA-UFC Fighters Who Need a Change of Gym/Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Continuing on from the discussion on Whittaker from the other thread.

I would like to see him work on his wrestling specifically with Izzy. I personally don't think moving to Wink-Jackson is as important as getting top quality wrestling training and advice from Izzy, who I believe Whittaker has worked with on the TUF show he was on.

Imagine of Conor went to a Greg Jackson gym....:(

Being serious....the whole Alpha male team :cool:

Re: Whittaker and footwork.

It's not really plausible to say that he should both be an explosive striker and have elusive footwork. To hit hard you need to set your feet. If Whittaker started moving like Cruz he'd find hitting hard more difficult

Continuing on from the discussion on Whittaker from the other thread.
I would like to see him work on his wrestling specifically with Izzy. I personally don't think moving to Wink-Jackson is as important as getting top quality wrestling training and advice from Izzy, who I believe Whittaker has worked with on the TUF show he was on.

Izzy worked with Noke's team on the second season. I don't recall him being on the coaching staff with Sots in the smashes series.

Re: Whittaker and footwork.

It's not really plausible to say that he should both be an explosive striker and have elusive footwork. To hit hard you need to set your feet. If Whittaker started moving like Cruz he'd find hitting hard more difficult

How do you think Gustafsson has gone since his work with Cruz and Alliance? He still hits damn hard, but his footwork has lead to him being taken down once in 50 combined minutes against two of the best wrestlers in MMA in Jones and Cormier.

Izzy worked with Noke's team on the second season. I don't recall him being on the coaching staff with Sots in the smashes series.

How do you think Gustafsson has gone since his work with Cruz and Alliance? He still hits damn hard, but his footwork has lead to him being taken down once in 50 combined minutes against two of the best wrestlers in MMA in Jones and Cormier.

Oh s**t you're right.

Well Gus is one of my favorite fighters, so while trying to remain objective, I think he's done exceptionally well.

But he doesn't move like Cruz and gets hit a lot more. I am not saying Whittaker wouldn't benefit, just that taking a heavy hitter and trying to get them dancing in and out takes away a lot of power.

Moving like someone else isn't the reality, it's being able to improve a certain aspect based on the fighters ability. Power strikers can still improve things like their footwork and timing while some guys can't ever be knockout artists with their athletic abilities.

The fighters fight IQ is also something that needs to be considered. Nutrition, strength and conditioning and training methods are also parts of the make up that are important that can be forgotten. Brian Stann mentioned on the Anik and Florian Podcast today that Pettis might need a shift to focus on this sort of thing, along with his wrestling, and he might be better at 145.

It isn't an exact science but I love the discussion about it all.

Pettis could do with a new camp.

His wrestling doesn't need to be superstar level, but he needs to be able to get guys off him like Hunt had to learn. I don't know where he would go for that, but I think reactive scrambling should be his focus.

Well Gus is one of my favorite fighters, so while trying to remain objective, I think he's done exceptionally well.

But he doesn't move like Cruz and gets hit a lot more. I am not saying Whittaker wouldn't benefit, just that taking a heavy hitter and trying to get them dancing in and out takes away a lot of power.

You're right, he doesn't move like Cruz but his footwork and takedown defense have improved immensely since working with that camp which is something I think would massively benefit Whitaker. I'm not suggesting that Whitaker tries to emulate Cruz, but working with that camp would IMO do wonders for his game.

Pettis could do with a new camp.

His wrestling doesn't need to be superstar level, but he needs to be able to get guys off him like Hunt had to learn. I don't know where he would go for that, but I think reactive scrambling should be his focus.

Pettis is a strange one. Two fights ago he was looking like a wrestler killer with his back to back sub wins over Bendo and Gilbert and his current camp has one of the better wrestlers in MMA in Ben Askren to work with. While I don't like the guy at all, maybe a guy like Mark Laimon from Team Takedown would be beneficial for him to work with. His team comprises mostly of wrestlers which would no doubt benefit Anthony and his cage side instructions and knowledge of positions on the ground should also do wonders for him.

If Brock had have started younger he could have been anything. The biggest deficiency (other than his medical issues) was a reluctance to getting hit, but I'm assuming that could have come with experience. If they'd have been around then, either SPG or Kings MMA would have been good choices for him to round out his striking skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Brock had have started younger he could have been anything. The biggest deficiency (other than his medical issues) was a reluctance to getting hit, but I'm assuming that could have come with experience. If they'd have been around then, either SPG or Kings MMA would have been good choices for him to round out his striking skills.

Did you know that Brock did actually train MMA briefly early days? I think it was around 2000, not sure exactly but think it was after college , he mentioned in his book. Not sure where it was but he accepted a fight because he needed money, never happened because pro wrestling came calling.

You're right, he doesn't move like Cruz but his footwork and takedown defense have improved immensely since working with that camp which is something I think would massively benefit Whitaker. I'm not suggesting that Whitaker tries to emulate Cruz, but working with that camp would IMO do wonders for his game.

Pettis is a strange one. Two fights ago he was looking like a wrestler killer with his back to back sub wins over Bendo and Gilbert and his current camp has one of the better wrestlers in MMA in Ben Askren to work with. While I don't like the guy at all, maybe a guy like Mark Laimon from Team Takedown would be beneficial for him to work with. His team comprises mostly of wrestlers which would no doubt benefit Anthony and his cage side instructions and knowledge of positions on the ground should also do wonders for him.
What Pettis needs to get down is controlling space and not getting backed into the cage with regularity. Wrestling and scrambling will make his responses better, but if he isn't there to be grappled with he'll fare a lot better.

Working with a good kickboxing coach who focuses on movement and controlling space might help as well.

All I know is that if he keeps getting walked onto the fence he is always going to struggle with grinding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back