Movie Film Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

I am thinking of making a Sporcle quiz relating to men who appear both clean shaven and have a beard in movies. So far I have thought of:

Al Pacino in Serpico
Lee Marvin in Hell in the Pacific
John Travolta in Urban Cowboy
Tom Hanks in Cast Away & Forrest Gump
Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes
Robin Williams in Jumanji
Harrison Ford in The Fugitive
Bruce Willis in Hostage
Steve McQueen in Papillon
Richard Gere in Sommersby

Are there any other well-known instances I should consider?

On a similar note, have you ever watched a movie where a character's appearance changed drastically and there was no logical explanation for it?

One movie where this happened was the 2016 comedy 'Dirty Grandpa' with the character Cousin Nick, a loser ne'er-do-well type, played by Adam Pally. In the first half of the movie he has scruffy, unkempt hair in keeping with his slacker character and he also walks just fine. However, in the second half of the movie his hair is styled into short dreadlocks, and he is on crutches.

There was no scene - either deleted or in the film to explain these changes - the events of the movie take place over about a week, nor was there any mention of Adam Pally having some sort of accident off the set during making of the movie and injuring a leg (hence the crutches), nor working on another project at the time to explain the changed hairstyle.

On a similar note, have you ever watched a movie where a character's appearance changed drastically and there was no logical explanation for it?

One movie where this happened was the 2016 comedy 'Dirty Grandpa' with the character Cousin Nick, a loser ne'er-do-well type, played by Adam Pally. In the first half of the movie he has scruffy, unkempt hair in keeping with his slacker character and he also walks just fine. However, in the second half of the movie his hair is styled into short dreadlocks, and he is on crutches.

There was no scene - either deleted or in the film to explain these changes - the events of the movie take place over about a week, nor was there any mention of Adam Pally having some sort of accident off the set during making of the movie and injuring a leg (hence the crutches), nor working on another project at the time to explain the changed hairstyle.
D6976D13-68C6-45D9-8562-96AB39DF6AE5.jpeg

now how will you police the use of CheatGPT ?

I am not familiar with this app or whatever it might be. People have been able to cheat when playing Sporcle quizzes for years if they choose by simply having another tab open so they can access Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia or whatever they believe is a valuable source. I think the vast majority of Sporcle players would not be resorting to these methods as it is a simple quiz website with no fortune or fame to be gained if you achieve 100 percent on any quiz.

You're right. I just checked his filmography.
But you also have a point....why did i even bother mentioning that movie when he has a bit part, and has so many other major roles in movies where he has a beard (and doesnt have a beard). I dunno why, just popped into my head randomly.

Bruce Dern is also in that movie, with a beard, so he can also be added

But you also have a point....why did i even bother mentioning that movie when he has a bit part, and has so many other major roles in movies where he has a beard (and doesnt have a beard). I dunno why, just popped into my head randomly.

Bruce Dern is also in that movie, with a beard, so he can also be added

Bruce Dern is one of my favourite all-time actors. He was in Family Plot, Hitchcock's final film. It's a film that very few people seem to remember, but it's worth a watch. IMO at least.

Ewan McGregor does not go from bearded to clean shaven in Episode 3.

Or any Star Wars, really.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Watching Logan Lucky (2017) on TV.

Trivia from imdb....

The film was distributed by cutting out studios, in order to have creative control and make money directly from the film itself. Accordingly, for this atypical distribution, Steven Soderbergh raised the budget by selling off foreign distribution rights, and then sold everything except the movie showing up in a movie theater in order to pay for advertising and prints of the movie (for example, selling post-theatrical rights to the likes of HBO, Netflix, Video-On-Demand, television, and airplanes). By following these two steps, Soderbergh was able to sidestep a Hollywood studio, and had creative control the entire time (for instance, the trailers that dropped earlier this summer were by his design, as was the poster and the entire marketing plan). Also, according to Soderbergh, under this set-up, the box-office bar for success is lower. With nearly everything prepaid, and no hefty distributor fees coming off the top, even a modest fifteen million dollar opening would be a win.

The science fiction comedy 'Men In Black' apart from field investigations is set in New York City, and the Manhattan skyline is seen in many shots, the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center prominent both in daylight and lit up at night. What was Men In Black's Australian release date? 11th September 1997.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am thinking of making a Sporcle quiz relating to men who appear both clean shaven and have a beard in movies. So far I have thought of:

Al Pacino in Serpico
Lee Marvin in Hell in the Pacific
John Travolta in Urban Cowboy
Tom Hanks in Cast Away & Forrest Gump
Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes
Robin Williams in Jumanji
Harrison Ford in The Fugitive
Bruce Willis in Hostage
Steve McQueen in Papillon
Richard Gere in Sommersby

Are there any other well-known instances I should consider?
Right now I can think of another two:

Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Arsenio Hall in Coming To America.

Drew Barrymore and Heather Graham have both played Casey Becker in the Scream Franchise, Drew Barrymore the real Casey Becker who along with her boyfriend was murdered at the start of Scream, and Heather Graham the fictional version of Casey in Stab, seen playing at the cinema at the start of Scream 2.

One of the last movies I saw early in 2020 before the world went crazy was the Blumhouse horror film 'Fantasy Island'. It wasn't a good movie, nearly reached 'so bad it's good' sometimes but not quite. I remember leaving the cinema thinking how some scenes and character actions in the early part of the film didn't make sense at all in the twist ending, and thought maybe that there had been a change of director during the film, which can sometimes account for inconsistencies like this in movies.

A week or so I found the DVD of the film in the bargain bin, and watched it again, noticing even more inconsistencies. However, it was only when I looked at the movie with director and actor commentary I found out what had caused this. Apparently, the film was to have had a different main villain reveal and ending, but during production it was changed and re-written, resulting in some scenes already completed during the first half of the film inconsistent with the revised second half of the movie.

One of the last movies I saw early in 2020 before the world went crazy was the Blumhouse horror film 'Fantasy Island'. It wasn't a good movie, nearly reached 'so bad it's good' sometimes but not quite. I remember leaving the cinema thinking how some scenes and character actions in the early part of the film didn't make sense at all in the twist ending, and thought maybe that there had been a change of director during the film, which can sometimes account for inconsistencies like this in movies.

A week or so I found the DVD of the film in the bargain bin, and watched it again, noticing even more inconsistencies. However, it was only when I looked at the movie with director and actor commentary I found out what had caused this. Apparently, the film was to have had a different main villain reveal and ending, but during production it was changed and re-written, resulting in some scenes already completed during the first half of the film inconsistent with the revised second half of the movie.

I'm not familiar with this film at all. Is it based on the '70s TV show? Is there a Mr. Roarke? More importantly, is there a Tattoo?

I'm not familiar with this film at all. Is it based on the '70s TV show? Is there a Mr. Roarke? More importantly, is there a Tattoo?

There is a Mr. Roarke and the show is based on the 1970s TV show, but it is a horror film. The actual premise is good and it has some good actors in the cast, but the movie overall didn't really work out.

In the 1964 film 'Viva Las Vegas', Elvis Presley's character fell in love with a girl named Rusty, played by Ann-Margret.

A year later in 'Girl Happy', Elvis's character was called Rusty, and this time his love interest was played by Shelley Fabares.

Elvis and Shelley Fabares were in three movies together in the mid-1960s. In addition to Girl Happy from 1965 there was Spinout! in 1966 and Clambake in 1967.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back