Movie Film Trivia

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
There may already be a thread on this, did a search and no results came up.

Anyway, I was watching Twelve Monkeys (1995) tonight on TV and Bruce Willis' character says, after killing someone, "all I see is dead people". Which is interesting because in the 1999 film Sixth Sense, starring Bruce Willis, that line is the watermark line for that movie.

Little trivia there, but wonder also if that was by design, or a coincidence.

What other film trivia are you aware of?

Greedo was actually a woman...

71973c5e2d9256c3707a770058feba93.jpg

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
One of my personal favourites -

''While filming the scene where a van drove in circles with no one at the wheel, one of the actors was run over, but immediately stood up uninjured. During the flower burning scene, the same actor caught fire and Werner Herzog raced over and beat the fire out. The actor only had minor injuries from the fire. After these two accidents, Herzog promised the actors that if they made it through the rest of filming without any more injuries he would jump into a cactus patch and allow the actors to film him doing so. The film was finished without any further injuries and the director made good his promise and dived into the cacti. Herzog has said, "Getting out was a lot more difficult than jumping in.".[2] The scene was inspired by an incident that occurred when Herzog worked as a steward at the Munich Oktoberfest as a young man. Part of his duty was ensuring that drunk patrons did not attempt to drive their cars home, so when a drunk man insisted that he was capable of driving, Herzog got into his car with him, placed the steering wheel on full lock, then got out of his car. The man passed out and the car continued to drive in a circle until it ran out of petrol.''

- Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970) by Werner Herzog

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Marlon Brando dies in seven successive films: Burn (1969), The Nightcomers (1971), The Godfather (1972), Last Tango in Paris (1973), The Missouri Breaks (1976), Superman (1978) and Apocalypse Now (1979). Not sure whether any other actor or actress can surpass this.

Last edited:

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Is there a Simpsons episode called day of the locust, too? That'd be cool

I don't think so, but it does go back to the book -

''I took that name from a minor character in the novel The Day of the Locust, by Nathanael West. Since Homer was my father’s name, and I thought Simpson was a funny name in that it had the word “simp” in it, which is short for “simpleton”—I just went with it.''

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
And of course Donald Sutherland did a guest voice appearance on The Simpsons in 1996, playing a museum curator.

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Marlon Brando dies in seven successive films: Burn (1969), The Nightcomers (1971), The Godfather (1972), Last Tango in Paris (1973), The Missouri Breaks (1976), Superman (1978) and Apocalypse Now (1979). Not sure whether any other or actress can surpass this.

Sean Bean perhaps?

The Living Daylights was written with Roger Moore in mind. Pierce Bronson was within 24 hours of becoming Bond back then when the producers of Remington Steele activated their option on Bronson for another season, knowing he was going to be the next James Bond. Albert Broccoli refused to share Bronson so looked elsewhere. Goldeneye starts in 1987 as a nod to this.

Karate Kid Part 3. Thomas Ian Griffith, who played Martin Koves Vietnam war buddy, was actually younger than the Karate Kid Ralph Macchio.

James Cameron has only directed movies whose title starts with T or A.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
An extra piece of info about Donald Sutherland/Homer Simpson, in The Simpsons episode titled Penny-Wiseguys from 2012, while getting grasshoppers off the body of Dan (voiced by Steve Carell), Homer remarks, "I never thought Homer Simpson would be part of the Day of the Locust."

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
The three young stars of iconic 1955 movie Rebel Without a Cause - James Dean, Sal Mineo and Natalie Wood - all died in unpleasant ways at relatively young ages. James Dean was killed in a car accident later in 1955, Sal Mineo was murdered in 1976 and Natalie Wood (who had long been afraid of water) drowned off Catalina Island in 1981.

British actor David Warner has twice featured in a film about the Titanic. The first was SOS Titanic in 1979, when he played the role of real survivor Lawrence Beesley, and Warner was aboard again in James Cameron's 1997 epic Titanic playing the fictional role of Cal Hockley's valet. This character did not survive the sinking.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
The first person to refuse to accept an Academy Award, long before George C Scott and Marlon Brando refused their Best Actor Oscars in the 1970s, was Dudley Nichols in 1935. Nichols was a writer who won the award for the film The Informer. According to renowned film website imdb, Nichols refused to accept the award "because of the antagonism between several industry guilds and the academy over union matters".

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Two Gentlemen Sharing, a 1969 English movie about inter-racial couples, featured a cameo by West Indies cricket legend Garfield Sobers. He was engaged to double for one of the film's stars, Hal Frederick, a black American actor who played the part of a West Indian cricketing law student. England fast bowler John Snow also featured in the film, in a small part where he bowled to Frederick.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
In 1990, Tom Hanks and then young, unknown Kirsten Dunst played the roles of father and daughter in The Bonfire of the Vanities, a poorly-received film adaptation of Tom Wolfe's satirical novel. Then in 2001, Kirsten Dunst and Colin Hanks (Tom's real-life son) played the roles of sister and brother in the forgotten teen comedy Get Over It.

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The infamous 'bush' scene in Basic Instinct wasn't actually in the script, it was something director Paul Verhoeven improvised on set with Stone's permission, of course.

Widely acclaimed director Stanley Kubrick only ever won one Academy Award, for Best Special Effects in 2001:ASO.

In Transformers: The Movie, Megatron at one stage uses a lightsaber. Director Nelson Shin worked on the original lightsaber effects in Star Wars.

Mary Steenburgen in Time After Time is a late 20th century woman who falls in love with a late 19th century scientist and inventor of a time machine. In Back to the Future 3, Steenburgen is a late 19th century woman who falls in love with a late 20th century scientist and inventor of a time machine. Christopher Lloyd also played a character in the western comedy Goin South who was infatuated with Steenburgen.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Natalie Wood taught Elvis Presley all about cunnilingus in her trailer on the set of a film they starred together in....she said, he had never known about that kind of thing until she showed him.

According to Cybil Shepherd, one year when she appeared on Oprah, Elvis didn't actually enjoy this very much. I remember her saying something along the lines of, "He could eat a peanut butter sandwich loaded with banana and jelly, but there was one thing he wouldn't eat."
She then turned to a smirking Oprah and said, "I feel sorry for him, don't you?"

Back