Movie Film Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

This could be the greatest movie never made.
When Gladiator 2 was in the pipeline,Russell Crowe put the feelers out to Nick Cave.
"I enjoyed writing it very much because I knew on every level that it was never going to get made."
Nick Cave
"Don't like it mate."
Russell Crowe

Jaws from 1975 is a classic horror film, while Jaws 2 in 1978 is generally regarded as a good sequel.

The other sequels in the 1980s were not nearly so successful. Jaws 3D in 1983, set at a Florida marine theme park and which starred a young Dennis Quaid and Lea Thompson, failed to make an impact while Jaws - The Revenge in 1987 often appears on lists of worst movies of all times.

Jaws 3D is a sequel to Jaws and Jaws 2. It features Michael and Sean Brody the now adult sons of main Jaws characters Martin and Ellen Brody, both young men working at the marine park. Their parents do not appear, but they are referenced as having left Amity New England and moved to Colorado (I wonder why?).

However, Jaws The Revenge in 1987 is a sequel to Jaws and Jaws 2, but completely retcons Jaws 3D out of existence. Ellen Brody, recently widowed, returns in a major role with the Brody family still living in Amity on the New England coast, and Mike and Sean have completely different jobs and lives than seen in Jaws 3D.

Michael Caine was once asked about having starred in Jaws 4 (The Revenge). His reply:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

Last edited:

A Nightmare on Elm Street is based on a true story.
A 12 yo boy was having constant nightmares and decided one night to stay awake and not fall asleep.
He failed, and ended up asleep.
When he woke up, his parents found four razor slashes across his chest.
Police who investigated said the slashes were not self-inflicted, and there was no sign of a break in.

cough bullshit cough

While looking at something unrelated I found the following link to an article about films often considered to be the worst ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_considered_the_worst

I was surprised by how many of these I'd actually seen. But there are some obvious films missing. For me After Earth (2013) is a definite contender. I'd be interested to read what films others would nominate. But please, only films that you have actually seen.

Last edited:
While looking at something unrelated I found the following link to an article about films often considered to be the worst ever.

I was surprised by how many of these I'd actually seen. But there are some obvious films missing. For me After Earth (2013) is a definite contender. I'd be interested to read what films others would nominate. But please, only films that you have actually seen.
Mother and The Rise of Skywalker imo

It isn't unusual for actors long out of high school in real life to play high school aged teenagers in movies and on TV shows. A well known case is 34-year-old Stockard Channing playing high school senior Betty Rizzo in Grease in 1978, while in the early-mid 2000s Rachel McAdams frequently played teenage girls despite being well into her 20s at the time.

One of the most bizarre cases is that of a 1970 English drama film 'The Railway Children". Jenny Agutter, then aged 17 played the lead role of the eldest daughter who was in her mid teens, which isn't unusual. However the younger sister was aged 11 and played by Sally Thomsett, who was 20-years-old at the time! I've never heard of a case of an adult playing a pre-teen before aside from black comedy Clifford in 1994 when it was done deliberately. And just two years later Sally Thomsett would go on to her most famous role playing the ditzy Jo in popular sitcom 'Man About the House' with Richard O'Sullivan, Paula Wilcox, Yootha Joyce and Brian Murphy. And Jo was about the same age as Thomsett in real life.

Last edited:
The sets used to film the Hill Valley town scenes in the Back to the Future Movies are also used in the video clip for the 1999 song 'Why Don't You Get a Job?' by The Offspring. As they march through the streets, you can see the Town Hall, clock, square and various shop-fronts from Back to the Future.

Adam Sandler movies are obviously not to everyone's taste, but I can usually find something positive to say about most of them even those that got terrible reviews. Most of them even if lacking in artistic value have entertainment value, or the fault can easily be identified. For example, Funny People just wasn't very funny, Pixels couldn't find the right demographic and Grown Ups 2 had entertaining scenes and funny jokes but lacked a cohesive plot. And one 2001 Sandler film, Little Nicky, immediately gained cult status due to being so bad it was good.

However, there is one Sandler film that is inexplicably bad and watching it is like torture by 1000 cuts, and this is Jack and Jill from 2011, where Sandler plays a set of male/female twins. Even 10 years on, I can't believe how absolutely awful it was on every level, and how a movie this bad could be made by people who know what they are doing. It wasn't even though the film was deliberately bad, it looks a fairly genuine attempt to make a funny movie. With the much-hated Sandler film 'That's My Boy' the following year, at least it dared to be controversial and take risks, has a good plot, and the shock comedy was always going to offend people. But Jack and Jill wasn't particularly controversial and it didn't take any risks with the comedy, it's just plain dreadful, with zero entertainment value.

jack and jill is still far far better than The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker. Two of the worst movies ever made.

I've never seen The Rise of Skywalker, The Last Jedi put me off watching any more Star Wars Films for the rest of my life.

As I've mentioned on other threads, TLJ is one of the rare bad movies where you actually feel insulted by it. I've seen lots of bad movies that were bad for different reasons. Some were comedies simply not funny, romances where the leads lack chemistry, bad sequels and others were just plain boring. But did I feel insulted by them? No. Did I feel insulted by Jack and Jill? No. I did feel insulted by Pearl Harbor, mainly because so much money had been spent on making a movie that was to be an epic historical, war and romance film and failed so badly at all three goals.

I can compare TLJ to this scenario. Let's say I run a catering business, and a Jewish family engages my company to do the catering for a wedding. The requirements for my company are simple enough, none of the guests are Kosher but some foods - pork products and seafood - are not to be served at the buffet for obvious reasons. However, come the wedding day the family find the wedding buffet at the reception loaded up with seafood, as well as cold cuts of ham and pastrami, bacon-wrapped appetizers and mini bacon and egg Quiche Lorraine and roast pork on the carvery. The family are understandably angry and confront me, but I defend my actions as 'subverting their expectations' and respond to their negative assessment of my company by stating that the fault lies with my customers. Is that a good way to run a business? I don't think so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jack and jill is still far far better than The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker. Two of the worst movies ever made.

Not in anyway true (imo) but I do love Screen Junkies opening from their The Mandalorian Honest Trailer...

"Fresh from Disney's content minds from outer Burbankia comes season two of a show that's either the greatest thing we've ever seen or live action Star Wars has lowered our expectations so much basic competence feels like seeing the face of God."

I've never seen The Rise of Skywalker, The Last Jedi put me off watching any more Star Wars Films for the rest of my life.

As I've mentioned on other threads, TLJ is one of the rare bad movies where you actually feel insulted by it. I've seen lots of bad movies that were bad for different reasons. Some were comedies simply not funny, romances where the leads lack chemistry, bad sequels and others were just plain boring. But did I feel insulted by them? No. Did I feel insulted by Jack and Jill? No. I did feel insulted by Pearl Harbor, mainly because so much money had been spent on making a movie that was to be an epic historical, war and romance film and failed so badly at all three goals.

I can compare TLJ to this scenario. Let's say I run a catering business, and a Jewish family engages my company to do the catering for a wedding. The requirements for my company are simple enough, none of the guests are Kosher but some foods - pork products and seafood - are not to be served at the buffet for obvious reasons. However, come the wedding day the family find the wedding buffet at the reception loaded up with seafood, as well as cold cuts of ham and pastrami, bacon-wrapped appetizers and mini bacon and egg Quiche Lorraine and roast pork on the carvery. The family are understandably angry and confront me, but I defend my actions as 'subverting their expectations' and respond to their negative assessment of my company by stating that the fault lies with my customers. Is that a good way to run a business? I don't think so.
That is the perfect single word to describe the entire Sequel Trilogy.....insulted. im gonna use your word in the SW thread soon because its a perfect one-word description.

If you thought TLJ was insulting, boy oh boy TROS

Given the resources etc at Disneys disposal, the failure of the Sequel Trilogy is collassly bad versus actual bad movies.

Agreed and also for insulted being a decent description for all of it, for them to be chasing audience approval and changing scripts so much from movie to movie rather than sticking to cohesive plan was just bizarre. Cinema history might have been a lot different if Lucas had been delayed a couple of years, stepped back and Jon Favreau had been hired for the prequels rather than Iron Man.

Adam Sandler movies are obviously not to everyone's taste, but I can usually find something positive to say about most of them even those that got terrible reviews. Most of them even if lacking in artistic value have entertainment value, or the fault can easily be identified. For example, Funny People just wasn't very funny, Pixels couldn't find the right demographic and Grown Ups 2 had entertaining scenes and funny jokes but lacked a cohesive plot. And one 2001 Sandler film, Little Nicky, immediately gained cult status due to being so bad it was good.

However, there is one Sandler film that is inexplicably bad and watching it is like torture by 1000 cuts, and this is Jack and Jill from 2011, where Sandler plays a set of male/female twins. Even 10 years on, I can't believe how absolutely awful it was on every level, and how a movie this bad could be made by people who know what they are doing. It wasn't even though the film was deliberately bad, it looks a fairly genuine attempt to make a funny movie. With the much-hated Sandler film 'That's My Boy' the following year, at least it dared to be controversial and take risks, has a good plot, and the shock comedy was always going to offend people. But Jack and Jill wasn't particularly controversial and it didn't take any risks with the comedy, it's just plain dreadful, with zero entertainment value.

You should hear what the RedLetter guys think of it.

Are people familiar with a guy named Ryan George and his series of movie pitch meetings? Basically, they feature him as the writer pitching an idea to a studio exec, also played by him. They're brilliant! And the editing is an absolute tour de force. He has made over 200 of these little gems. I have included his pitch for The Phantom Menace as a starter.

I've even found myself slipping "Super Easy. Barely an Inconvenience!" into conversations.

It isn't unusual for actors long out of high school in real life to play high school aged teenagers in movies and on TV shows. A well known case is 34-year-old Stockard Channing playing high school senior Betty Rizzo in Grease in 1978, while in the early-mid 2000s Rachel McAdams frequently played teenage girls despite being well into her 20s at the time.

One of the most bizarre cases is that of a 1970 English drama film 'The Railway Children". Jenny Agutter, then aged 17 played the lead role of the eldest daughter who was in her mid teens, which isn't unusual. However the younger sister was aged 11 and played by Sally Thomsett, who was 20-years-old at the time! I've never heard of a case of an adult playing a pre-teen before aside from black comedy Clifford in 1994 when it was done deliberately. And just two years later Sally Thomsett would go on to her most famous role playing the ditzy Jo in popular sitcom 'Man About the House' with Richard O'Sullivan, Paula Wilcox, Yootha Joyce and Brian Murphy. And Jo was about the same age as Thomsett in real life.

Doesn't beat playing 11 years but 20 year old Erin Chambers in the Disney film Don't Look Under the Bed played a 14 year old. To put into perspective, her best friend in the film of a similar age was actually played by a 12/13 year old.

The thing is, she really could have passed for a 12 year old, and the producers knew it. From her wikipedia page: "Her contract forbade her from revealing her true age during the making of the film, and she was not allowed to be seen smoking, drinking, driving her car or in the company of her boyfriend during the shoot"

Are people familiar with a guy named Ryan George and his series of movie pitch meetings? Basically, they feature him as the writer pitching an idea to a studio exec, also played by him. They're brilliant! And the editing is an absolute tour de force. He has made over 200 of these little gems. I have included his pitch for The Phantom Menace as a starter.

I've even found myself slipping "Super Easy. Barely an Inconvenience!" into conversations.

His After Earth one is a classic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back